“Great facility, but poorly managed” 4 of 5 stars

Ski & Stay in Stowe, VT
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Stowe
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“Great facility, but poorly managed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

In terms of the facility itself, the resort is lovely and has every amenity one could ask for. Unfortunately it falls short in so many basic service areas that you really can't rate it as excellent. I'll cite the three most glaring examples, but keep in mind that I can supply several more. There was a fire alarm on of the nights we stayed there. There was no evacuation map anywhere in our room or in the hall, nor had we been given one when we arrived (is that even legal?) Because we had idea there was an exit some 20 feet behind us, we walked with everyone else all the way out of the wing where we were staying. When we arrived at the pool there was no staff member to tell us where to go, what to do next or what was happening. Because we didn't feel like sitting out in the cold we all went back in and walk through the entire length of the main wing to the front entrance. Keep in mind the facility could have been burning around us, we had no idea. We get to the front entrance and the front desk staff says 'everything is fine go back to your room.' There was no explanation, no apology no offer of compensation of any sort. BTW it was 5 AM. If this was the only issue you might have said, OK one bad night no big deal, but it wasn't. The cleaning staff was absolutely sub par. What do I mean by that? The cleaning staff at the Motel 6 has a better understanding of their duties than does the cleaning staff at SML. Five out of the 6 nights we were there they left huge bags of laundry laying in the hallway overnight. They consistently left bar ware and dinner ware lying on the floor in the hall overnight. They vacuumed the hall once the entire week we were there. And no wonder. The staff are all kids. Literally. They're all foreign exchange students on internships. There wasn't a single adult staff member in our entire wing. There's no one there to teach them what to do, not that this is what I'd like my kids to do as an internship. Its horrible. Third worst had to be the on site bar known as the Hourglass. They charged us $24/drink for whiskey old fashions made from a top shelf whiskey called Whistle Pig. I know, buyer beware, but think how you would feel if you and your wife had 2 burgers and 2 drinks each and had been charged $200 for it.Clearly the intent was to take advantage of their own patrons. As I said, it is a beautiful facility, but it is managed so poorly that the experience is simply not worth the cost, which by the way is 2nd only to the Top Notch.One should also note that SML is one of the very few ski resorts to offer a full day children's program. Now that could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on who you are. For myself, I'd rather not spend my vacation with someone else's screaming and unruly kids. Luckily the families seem to only come on weekends. If you're like me and travel with adults only, do yourself a favor: arrive on Sunday and leave on Friday.

Room Tip: Rooms are sorted by view, so Spruce mountain views are in the south wing and Mansfield views are in...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
StoweMountainLodge, Manager at Stowe Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. The event you referred to was, luckily, a false alarm. I do apologize for any inconvenience associated with public area escorts. We are using your comments to be better prepared for any future events.

We do feature emergency evacuation maps on the back of each guest room entry door, as required by law. They provide information such as current location, as well as direction to the nearest stairwell, extinguisher, ice machine, etc.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. We greatly appreciate the feedback.

Matthew Quick
Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Burlington, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

We just came back from a weekend at Stowe Mountain Lodge. First off, the staff was terrific. Given the size of the place, I was amazed when I was greeted by name the day after we checked in. Our group stayed in a suite, and two regular rooms. The suite was great- good furniture, nice layout, tons of privacy. Regular rooms have good beds, beautiful views and great bathrooms. My only complaint about the regular rooms was that they had only one chair in the room- a straight backed desk chair. If there is more than one of you in the room, someone has to sit on a bed. Kind of awkward if you get room service, which we had to do because we traveled with our puppy. Incidentally, the pet friendly quotient was high- they were quite accommodating. Our friends had some trouble sleeping because they were on the side where the snow plows were all night, and heard a lot of 'beep beep beep' backup noise. But overall, a thumbs up.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

I used to love SML. Until recently I had been in contact with Lauren Handrahan because I was seriously considering purchasing property at this resort. I've done nothing but recommend it to friends and family. Never again!!! I just went from Wednesday to Sunday for my best friend's birthday. Her husband paid for a 3 bedroom suite and a two bedroom suite to accommodate the group. I'm ashamed and embarrassed at the prices he had to pay after such a terrible experience. For starters, the rooms were 5 miles apart. The master bath had no shower head. When we complained about the room, Todd at the desk pretended to help but never made any effort to follow up. Not even a phone call. We stayed in the same room with no dresser the entire stay. On the night of her birthday 11 of us went downstairs for our 8:45 dinner reservation that had been made through the alpine concierge. The reservation was nowhere to be found. Instead of eating at the cottage we ended up eating at solstice over an hour later. The cake that had been ordered through the concierge had also mysteriously vanished. You can imagine how the birthday girl is feeling at this point! The service in the lobby for food and drinks is atrocious. I had to speak with 4 servers before someone was willing to bring my friend a cocktail the following evening. A party of 11 is hard to miss, but somehow they managed. The staff is completely incompetent. At one point we asked for blue cheese dressing for buffalo wings. We were brought cream cheese. When we mentioned the error, we were then presented with a Stilton wedge. By the time they brought the correct dressing there were 2 cold wings remaining on the plate. It was just one thing after the other to the point that we believed for a moment that we were being filmed as part of some new reality show "how hotel patrons react to poor service" because we couldn't believe they could actually get so many things wrong and show such little remorse or sympathy for their errors. I spoke with manager Steven Schlanger and sent him an e-mail. He promised to call me the next morning. I never received a phone call. I sent him a follow up e-mail. He responded by informing me that he spoke with Ryan Diller and Matt Quick the front office manager and the director of rooms respectively. He claims that the service we received was not up to the usual Lodge standard. His solution was that I contact him directly next time I go so that he can guarantee an exceptional time. That was a laughable and unacceptable apology. In fact the most that we got for a ruined 4 day stay that cost upwards of $10,000 was 2 complimentary bottles of wine. To any and all that are considering the lodge I would say think again. The service is so bad it actually leaves you angry. Buy a plain ticket and fly into Utah. Easy drive to deer valley. Stay at the Montage resort. Best service imaginable. The prices are worth it at the Montage. At the Stowe lodge I should have been compensated for the time spent complaining about every error. No one has received training of any sort at this place. If you ask someone at the front desk where you can purchase a bottle of Gatorade, she needs to consult with 2 other people before being able to give you an answer. It's just an embarrassing mess over there.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
StoweMountainLodge, Manager at Stowe Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience and allowing us the opportunity to make this right. After hearing your concerns over the phone and in email, we utilized your observations to better prepare for such an important occasion.

Please feel free to contact me directly with any additional questions or concerns.

Mathew Quick
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

There seems to be a lot of commentary about The SML not being a value play, I think that is completely off base. We brought our 2 boys to learn to ski here and the convenience of the ski valet, proximity to beginner Mountain and friendly staff was worth EVERY penny. Granted, it's not cheap to stay here, but we all know that when we reserve to stay.

The staff of car valets and bell hops couldn't have been better. They were friendly, always with a smile, informative and timely. Casey checked us in, he was great! One of them, Rich or Rick went out of his way to help me find my sons lost glove while my family dined at the hourglass. The people at check in were equally nice. In general, the entire staff was excellent at customer service.

The ski valet was AMAZING! Our skis were taken from out car to the ski valet room, poles and boots too. Upon our departure, the skis were brought from the ski valet and packed into our car for us. It couldn't be any easier. For me, the only downside to skiing is the cumbersome equipment. Especially since my husband and I have 2 young beginner children. All of the work is done for you!

The SML is located at the bottom of Spruce Peak. It is where the lessons leave from. As with any ski mountain, there is a small walk with equipment to get to the lift, but you can virtually ski right back to the valet area. Spruce Peak is perfect for beginners, it has a very easy magic carpet, that is in a tube and protects you from any wind. Spruce Peak lets beginners progress from the magic carpet to a nice little run with a triple chair and finally onto easy street and the alpine lift. it is the most beginner friendly set up I've ever seen. You can also take a gondola over the rd. to Mt. Mansfield, it's really very convenient. The SP base lodge is very nice. Food is expensive and plentiful. If you have light eaters you can certainly split the sliders or grilled cheese and get one order of fries. The chicken fingers were good too as was the chicken chili.

The conditions were very good considering there hadn't been much natural snow, enough fro everything to look like a winter wonderland. But really credit goes to those grooming the trails. The cats and snowmobiles were out late at night and before dawn grooming the trails.

I didn't venture into the outdoor pool. My family said it was a little cool for them, but they made it into the hot tubs. The fitness center is very spacious, with lots of equipment. I liked it a lot.

WE arrived at the resort on a Wednesday and left on a Sunday. On Wed. it felt like we were some of the only visitors. It was great. No lines anywhere. Each day got more crowded. By Saturday the bar and great room were packed, hard to find a seat. Nothing unsual for a Saturday night out, but was very noticeably more crowded.

We didn't eat at Solstice for dinner, we ate at the hourglass twice for dinner. The burgers and fries were testy. I loved my salads, the maple balsamic dressing is yummy. We also had the cheese platter twice, a treat! The ice cream sandwiches are worth having, homemade. They are big. We split 2 between the 4 of us.

Breakfast is AWESOME, but on Saturday and SUnday it goes to an EXPENSIVE buffet. adults $26 and kids $16(?). We paid closet o $100 for breakfast on Saturday. Got bagels on the Mountain Road for $14 on Sunday. Much better value. DURING THE WEEK, however, it is a la carte and worth it. Coffee is delicious. The pancakes were the best I have ever had. the French Toast was the best texture I've ever had. The kids breakfasts were huge. A a mother I was fine ordering coffee, berries and then tasing all the leftovers. The view is pretty. It's the Solstice dining room. I recommend the weekday breakfast at LEAST once.

The room was nice, clean, well appointed, love the fireplace feature. The kitchenette was small but nice to have, although we didn't use it much.

All in all, my entire family enjoyed the experience. The customer service was excellent. We will certainly return to the SML.

Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

This was my second stay at the Stowe Mountain Lodge and I intend to keep coming back. Love this property!

Our visit to the spa was wonderful. Although pricey, we had an incredibly relaxing day. The facilities offer everything you could want, including a tranquil lounge overlooking nature, hot tubs inside and outside, sauna, large open facilities to shower, and exceptional service.

Dinner at Solstice was slightly disappointing. The service was incredibly slow for our table of 7. Several times we had to flag down one of our two waitresses. Two in our group ordered the lamb, but barely ate it because it was so underdone, and one got sick later in the evening. Otherwise, we quite enjoyed the meal.

The rooms are spacious and rustic. The lobby is so large and inviting. I especially like the large fireplace. The Orchard was our favorite drink to sit an sip!

The staff are incredibly friendly and willing to help with anything, particularly the valets.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing us as your destination for multiple family vacations! We are thrilled you enjoyed The Spa and look forward to welcoming you and your guests back for another vacation soon.

Matthew Quick
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

The setting is absolutely beautiful! Perfect for skiing and hiking…The staff during our stay was absolutely fantastic; friendly, professional, and very helpful! Our only complaint is regarding the Play Room. A resort in this price range should have a play room with pool table, table tennis, and air hockey, to name a few, for FREE!!!

Doylestown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Our family has stayed at Stowe Mountain Lodge several times for ski weekends, and we absolutely love it! The suites are perfect for our group of 4: clean, roomy and with every possible amenity. The entire staff is welcoming, friendly and helpful, particularly the concierge, who has gone out of his way several times to help us with last-minute dinner reservations that were just what we wanted. The restaurant has improved, and we enjoyed a very nice lunch this stay. My only disappointment is with room service: our food arrived lukewarm and the order incomplete. Ski-in/out is key, and the ski valet is appreciated. I have always enjoyed my treatments at the spa and find it to be very relaxing and the service excellent. We will return again.

Room Tip: Don't get the top-floor suite under the turret in the winter. The master bedroom is on the uppe...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to Stowe Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!