“Romantic dinner with sleigh ride” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Mobile, Alabama, United States
“Romantic dinner with sleigh ride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The dinner and sleigh ride through the snow, pulled by Jess a beautiful sweet horse and it's owner Paul - fantastic experience we'll never forget.

Visited February 2013

Scranton, Pennsylvania
“I too believe this restaurant to be Just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I've been holding off on writing this review for awhile, because I didn't want to be overly negative. The experience wasn't horrible, but it was pricey and for that reason I expected a great deal more. It's a resort (think Catskills,) so I'm sure that if we were guests of the hotel they would have treat my wife and I better. In fact, there was a family sitting near us who seemed to be resort annual regulars for which the staff went well out of their way. My wife and went there for our last night out on a week long holiday. We each ordered a salad, she ordered an entree' and I the fondue.

The salad I ordered was the charred romaine hearts salad. Imagine my surprise when what arrived was a tiny cold offering that reminded me of something one would get from a jar. It was served on a bread plate, it was cold, it was wet, there was little of it and it was not fresh in any way. It wasn't tasty either. My wife's field green salad was good, but nothing to rave about.

Next came the main course. I want to be honest, so I willingly tell you that I do not know how a traditional fondue should taste; I only know that it should have tasted like this. It was rancid. Not terribly so, but either the wine they used to make it had started to turn to vinegar or the mixture itself had been pre-made a very long time ago. The bread cubes they gave me were stale (maybe that's normal, I don't know,) and the Cornichons were unremarkable. My wife's Wiener Schnitzl was (again) good, but nothing to rave about. They served it with small bits of pasta instead of Pomme Frittes, which (while there's nothing actually wrong with this) was I thought unusual.

The service too left something to be desired. The wine (as is that case in most of Stowe) was very pricey, and when I requested a second glass the waiter totally forgot. We barely saw him actually. It was a French system, so after he took the order we didn't see him again until the meal was over.

We had an apple strudel for desert that was good, but was (yes again) nothing to rave about.

The meal cost (with drinks and tip) about $130. That's a lot for what was clearly not a fine dining experience. The resort is very pretty, and the manner in which the service is organized suggests that they once were (are striving towards) a high end reputation, but with respect to the food at least the quality just simply isn't there.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Littleton, Massachusetts
“A wonderful surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Having purchased a place in Stowe last year, we spent a lot of time enjoying the many restaurants with which we were already familiar. We got stuck in a (delicious!) rut and made a vow try a new restaurant as often as we could. So far, it has been going well. There is just so much good food in Stowe!
We had read the reviews on Trip Advisor and were somewhat reluctant to try Emily's, but the Stowehof is just situated so beautifully and we really wanted to take a closer look inside, so we went to dinner there last week.
We were so delighted with what we found there. As we parked our car, the sleighs were just gliding by and we took a minute just to listen to the sound of the bells drifting off into the darkness. The entrance of the hotel is so dramatic. The petrified maples are a sight to see. As we came inside, we saw that the maples are everywhere! What fun! It was so magical and we were all so taken with them. We explored the pub and the lobby and found everything just so charming and cozy.
We were seated at a table near the window and, upon a reccomendation from our server, ordered the fondue Chinoise. It was delicious and so much fun to cook! I started with a salad and it was pretty good. We finished with the chocolate fondue and that was a treat, as well. Our daughter had the shepherd's pie. It was delicious!
It was definitely a quirky place and, for some people, that may not be ideal, but we really appreciated the fact that things at the Stowehof seemed to work a little differently. We went in there with no real expectations and walked out thinking that we would love to come back again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
port republic
“Emily's @ Stowehof”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Overall a very fine meal and a very good value with the prefix option.Extensive wine list and a good variety of selections by the glass. All the salads and deserts were great, the only thing that keeps this from an excellent rating was the duck two ways was a bit unevenly cooked an was just pretty good. Everything else was excellent

Visited January 2013
Houston, Texas
“Delicious food, comfortable ambience, service Euro style”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

The food at Emily's was by far the best we ate in Stowe. The appetizers in particular were to die for - specifically the Chevre Brulee: goat cheese with blueberries, warmed brulee style and served with toast points. The entrees were also quite lovely: the lamb special for the evening was great, and the wiener schnitzel was wonderful. The fondue serving for 2 was too large for all 5 of us to eat, and the sharpness of the cheese a bit overwhelming. The chocolate fondue, creme brulee, and flourless chocolate cake were all delicious.

Onto why I didn't give Emily's a 5 star. 1. The hostess was a little overwhelmed. She ran around giving orders that were executed in a less than efficient manner, leaving guests waiting, waitstaff exhausted, and the hostess in a huff. 2. Had to send back the bowl of clam chowder, which never should've left the kitchen since it smelled sour. 3. This place serves Euro style. Expect to wait for all food. But it's well worth the wait and the restaurant is super cozy, so there should be no issue enjoying the company of dinner companions.

Visited December 2012