“A real favorite” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
CT
“A real favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

I eat at Cactus several times a year when I am in Stowe. You cannot go wrong here--the food is consistent and all good, regular menu items as well as daily specials. The staff is knowledgeable and on top of things. Recommended!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Boston, Massachusetts
“Quite good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

I enjoyed my meal here and found the menu to have lots of choices. They offer several types of Margaritas as well, in addition to other beverages.
I started off with an order of the jalapeno poppers-- 4 jalapeno peppers stuffed with a cream cheese filling, beer battered and then fried-- served with sour cream. Aside from the pepper, I found the filling and batter to be a bit bland. I guess I expected the filling to have a bit of spice to it-- my mistake.
For the entree I had cheese and green chile enchiladas. They were very good and served with mexican rice and refried beans. It was a good size portion.
Finally, for dessert I had a chocolate caramel pecan cake which I really enjoyed. It was dense and fudgy.
I would definitely like to return here, as the menu had many items on it which sounded delicious and some of the daily specials sounded great too.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Delicious Mexican food!! Great Margaritas!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2009

If you are in the Stowe VT area and love Mexican food, you should definitley try this place!! Really good food and great margartias, we have have been there twice, both times were great. Enjoy!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Connecticut
“Mexican food not made by Mexicans”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

Our family stopped at the restaurant after skiing at Stowe. We had a variety of entrees -- fajitas, enchiladas, tacos. The general consensus was they were bland, not made with the normal seasonings and flavors one would expect at a good Mexican restaurant. The portions were also small.

On the plus side, the service was very good.

Portland, Maine
“Not what we thought”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2008

On our recent get a way to Vermont, we decided to try the Cactus Cafe for some Mexican food. We arrived about 6pm and was seated right away in a booth that happened to be right on top of the Cafe's heater. Within seconds we were sweating. We each ordered a glass of ice water while we looked over the menu. We thought the ice had melted rather quickly because water was dripping all over the table only to discover a small crack in the bottom of one of the plastic glasses. We were served complimentary chips and salsa which the menu indicated was a one time deal and if you asked for more chips or salsa you would be charged. But fortunatly, after tasting the salsa we knew right away that we would not order anymore anyway. The waitress was very nice and polite and when we asked if the heat could be turned down we were told that it could be but it never seemed to get any cooler. Now on to the main course. I ordered a sausage enchilada plate which came with rice and beans. It was quite good but not really worth the high price I was charged for it. My wife ordered a chalupa with chicken chili. This is where they tried to turn Mexican into gormet. The plate was piled with a spring mix of leafy greens with sliced cucumber, grated carrot, and red cabbage about 4 inches deep. It came with sour cream but no guacamole, therefore, leaving you no alternative but to eat a head of mixed dry lettuce for 80% of the meal. The plate it was served on was so small that the lettuce kept falling onto the table. When she finally got down to the chicken chili, I asked her if it was good and she said that she was so happy to finally get to some real food that it didn't taste all that bad. And the finishing touch to our dining experience was the bad classic rock that was playing over the musac creating a bar that served nachos atmosphere.