“Entertaining and Delicious” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Montreal
“Entertaining and Delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

The food was fantastic! I had filet mignon and scallops which just melted in my mouth.

Our chef was very funny. I know that they are following a script and they perfom the same tricks for each group, but it was thoroughly entertaining.

Well worth the visit.

Visited August 2012

New York City, New York
“I was not expecting this :(”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I sat at the habachi table. The menu had many different habachi options, which consisted of steak(filet and ny), lobster, chicken, salmon, scallops, shrimp, sea bass, duck, pork loin, and a vegetarian option which was with tofu. The three sauces that were given to me, were shrimp sauce which was a basic spicy mayo, ginger suace which was excellent and curry sauce which was amazing. I was also given a choice of salad or soup, and rice or soba noodles. The only things that were above satisfactory was the filet and the rice. If you want food in stowe go to cactus cafe, sunset grill, or pie in the sky. Those places are a lot better.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Andover, Massachusetts
“Quite possibly the worst food; dining experience EVER!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

STAY AWAY!! I had pad tai that I nearly choked to death on. No kidding. The pad tai was NOT pad tai. The noodles were thick and hard, drenched in a greasy red sauce. It was simply not edible. My husband ordered sushi that never arrived and we considered it a blessing. He ordered a fish dish that was also awful. The atmosphere is loud and rowdy. In the middle of choking down a long, hard noodle, a staff of the restaurant banged a huge drum hanging overhead and we nearly had heart attacks. We have dined all over Stowe and the world. This restaurant was the worst. To add insult to injury, our bill was high, as the "food" is expensive. Kobe "restaurant" did not deserve a penny and we felt upset and ripped off. Stay away from this place. There are many other wonderful restaurants in Stowe that deserve your patronage.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Montreal, Canada
“what kind of resto is this anyway?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

I honestly cannot tell what kind of restaurant this is - they have thai food- japanese steak house-no kobe beef on the menu and modern top ten playing on the radio. Its sort of a Beni Hana show with the chef preparing the meat at your table - the food was adequate but the meat generally bland, the preparation show was fun though. Do not order anything thai - it was bland and horrible.
The decor is nice - like i said it seems to suffer from trying to be too many things and is not very successful at any of them.

Visited August 2012
vermont
“Gastronomic Suicide!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Root canals. Wading in raw sewage. Chewing off my own arm to escape the sleeping clutches of the beast I woke up next too. These are all experiences I would have preferred to my dinner last night at Kobe.

I can honestly say that my meal at Kobe last night was one of the worst dining experiences of my life, and the only explanation I can conjure for their survival is the fact that there are a steady stream of tourists who do not know any better. It certainly can not be from repeat customers.

We arrived with a party of 5 at 7pm and were promptly seated. The atmosphere was not bad, and despite the fact that they offer the dreaded "Thai/Japanese" combination, I was hopeful.

We ordered chicken/shrimp dumplings, edamame, and side salads for appetizers, and a pad Thai, Pad See Ew, a spicy tuna roll, and an Unagi roll for main courses.
The appetizers showed up promptly, however, they also brought out my main course of the two sushi rolls along with them. The dumplings were absolutely tasteless. Literally. It was as in my sense of smell and taste had hopped a train to the coast upon entering their establishment. I actually had to try a second dumpling just to verify that they were not stuffed with soggy cardboard. Unfortunately, I was rewarded for my effort with a chewy piece of mystery meat which I had to take out of my mouth and put on the plate.

Next up, the salads. The vegetables were decent enough (no wilted lettuce or anything like that), however, their salad dressing was nothing more than a re-use of a satay sauce. They literally take the satay sauce without any modification and pour it over the salad. No vinegars or any acid to cut the thick peanut sauce, which was heavily lathered on. No one was able to stomach more than half the salad provided (despite sharing 2 salads among 5 people).

Edamame was OK....frozen and not well salted, but good enough for us to eat.

The sushi was a disaster. The spicy tuna roll was poor at best; old fish with a super spicy red sauce poured all over it. No mayo to cut the spice, as is traditional, and they weren't even using the right kind of chili sauce to begin with. 6 of the 8 pieces were left on the plate. Next was the unagi roll, and it didn't get any better. Apparently no one has ever taught their "sushi chef" how to trim and prepare unagi from a package; it was cold, fishy, and because it was not trimmed, it had a fatty gristle quality that was disgusting. The unagi sauce poured over the top was not unagi sauce at all...more like straight soy sauce which only served to make the rice fall apart. Just dismal!

The pad Thai and pad see ew arrived next, and it was truly inedible. The pas Thai tasted like they had just dumped ketchup and sugar on some noodles, and the pad see ew was no better. Cold shrimp and chicken, and they didn't even bother to use the wide noodles which define pad see ew. At first I thought they brought us the wrong dish ( which wasn't helped by the fact that twice waiters brought someone else's food to our table, looking confused), but they assured me that they use the same noodles for every dish and seemed completely unaware that there were different types of noodles for different dishes....in a real Thai restaurant.

The members of my party who received the Pad Thai could not eat more than two bites each, and my kids stomached the pad see ew as best they could because they were so hungry. The server never checked on us or asked if we wanted more drinks. When she finally showed up to clear the table, she asked how everything was. One of our party said "you know, I just have to tell you, this was absolutely the worst pad Thai I have ever had". Her reaction to this was to literally run away without saying a word. She returned 10 minutes later with the bill, and informed us that she had taken 50% off the pad Thai. Keep in mind, 75% of our food was left on the plates she was clearing. We over $100 on nothing...no one felt like that had actually eaten a meal.

Bottom line; this place was so bad that it is almost worth going to just to make every other dining experience you have seem amazing.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere