“Rustic old world charm” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 26 Stowe B&B and Inns
Magog, Canada
“Rustic old world charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Beautiful grounds which are well maintained. Room we had a bit small but very clean. Breakfast was included in price and was above the normal type of included breakfast. Outside of building could use a little more upkeep. Pub on site was cozy and inviting. All in all a nice and affordable
get away stay. Beautiful views of the mountain range.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Andover, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Love the trees that look to be holding up the building. Got a good deal on the room which was bright with windows on 2 sides overlooking the pool and a beautiful vista. Room was small but cosy. Unfortunately the pub and the restaurant were closed that night which we did not realize before we arrived. Halls are dark and in need of sprucing but also have character. The pool looked inviting but it was rainy during our visit. Nice hiking trails just up the road to the right with trailheads in walking distance of the inn. Breakfast was plentiful but not anything special. Nice sitting areas.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Newport, Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

spent two nights this June. location is beautiful, grounds lovely, room very comfortable and because we got a coupon, exceptional value. some signs of deferred maintenance, stained carpets, odd fixtures, musty smell. there had just been a fire in the restaurant, which was closed. Front desk reception was ho-hum, nothing special. we had stayed there years before, and it has come down a bit in the world. With some refurbishing, it could be first class

Room Tip: room 18 on the end had large windows on two sides with a lovely view and a feeling of complete priva...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
North Stonington, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Upon entering the Inn, you are taken back to the days of old.. which is actually the charm of the whole place although you may not feel that way when you first walk in. Definitely have dinner; it was delicious and they took such good care of our special requests. Breakfast was an A+ as well. And the views from the dining room overlooking the perfectly manicured grounds were spectacular. It is off the beaten path which made it more charming and not far from the many waterfalls which is what we went to explore in the area. To top it off, we got a great rate on a hotel website so it turned out to be a wonderfully inexpensive adventure.

Room Tip: Because of our special rate, we had no view and faced the parking lot. It worked for us; if you pre...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Syracuse, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

It started out nice coming in and being greeted by workers but the next day it all went down hill.
We woke up to fire alarm, grabbed my bathrobe and out with my friend in pj's. No one else came right out, there was not directions what to do on door for a fire. We stayed outside for long while and no one came to us to say if it was a fire or a just someone pulling alarm. The alarm turned off and we asked a another guest what was going on and they said to get dressed and get your stuff and leave. We went in and dressed then alarm went off again, so I go over to where people was sitting next to building to ask if it was so to leave or if we could later go back and take shower. She started screaming at me that a shower wasn't important right now that they took someone to hospital for smoke. I was taken back and said I didn't know and that we were not informed there was a fire. I said I heard there were vouchers for breakfast and she volunteered anyone who wanted a ride to ride with me being very nervy. I am nice so I said sure, I do have room. Then I went to walk back to where we were standing where my bag with new bathing suit and a bottle of wine I bought was sitting outside on chair that I had grabbed and she starts yelling at me even another couple said she is just getting a bag outside. The fireman came running thinking something was wrong and they got my bag, she never apologized to me. Checking out I told the desk clerk I would never stay there,she did apologized but said she understands and she has to deal with that anger all the time. I then found out she is the owner and I really will not go there cause she was very out of order and did inform people and take control and she was very unprofessional.....no refund on money for all the trouble NEVER STAY THERE makes me wonder what shape it is in fire in kitchen gas line and old building not safe at all

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Stowehof, Owner at Stowehof Inn, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
We are very sorry to hear that your entire experience was so affected by the fire that made us relocate your breakfast. The policy of not returning to your room for your bathing suit was stated and enforced by the Fire Department and they do not want people going into structures while they are putting fires out. We are sorry this inconvenienced you.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

June 21-23 spent I believe our 18th time here in the past 10 years, and had a wonderful experience like we always do, from Emily's to coslins pub. Watched a wedding ceremony from our balcony, exquisite dinner on Friday night made by executive chef Chad,after dinner drinks at coslins with Nick and Chris, always nice seeing Mr and Mrs G. Along with saunie,and Dana,and we met 2 wonderful new workers named Nicole and Jackie along with Meghan and ex worker that was visiting,once again to one and all Thank you for making us feel at home.

• Stayed June 2013
Essex, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

My husband and I spent a lovely weekend in Stowe, Vermont. Members of our family held their wedding and reception at the Stowehof Inn and Resort. The garden wedding was lovely amid the flowers and greenery with Mt. Mansfield as a backdrop. Dinner at Emily's Restaurant inside the Inn was delicious: fresh Boston lettuce salad and crusty bread followed by filet mignon, buttery green beans, garlic mashed potatoes, and a beautifully decorated wedding cake with choice of chocolate or lemon slice for dessert. Our king-size bedroom was large with sliding door to balcony overlooking the inn's grounds, forest, and mountains. There was a convenient dressing room adjacent to the immaculate bathroom. A full breakfast was included each morning. This is a special place for a wedding and reception. It is also a lovely place to spend a quiet, relaxing get-a-way. They have both an indoor heated and an outdoor unheated pool, several tennis courts, and other amenities.

Room Tip: Our room number 25 had a balcony, overlooked the beautiful grounds, and faced Mt. Mansfield; it was...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Stowehof Inn? Share your experiences!