“Unpleasant stay” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Stowe
Agawam, Massachusetts
“Unpleasant stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed at the Grey Fox Inn in early June 2012. The accommodations were a huge disappointment. The single room was nicely decorated; however, the bed was so uncomfortable with numerous lumps separated by hard as concrete areas. I could not sleep a wink. Requested new room the following morning and was given a 1 bedroom suite. While this sounds like an upgrade, it was far from it. The bedroom area left little room to move around. The living room was depressing with no windows, very little lighting and dark, drab furnishings which was not the way to end a relaxing day in Stowe. The accommodations were on the second floor and when I arrived no one asked if I needed assistance with my luggage (There is no elevator.). As a single woman, I was distressed to learn that no one would be on site in the evening and overnight hours. The hotel had a minimal number of guests, and I was very uneasy with the lack of hotel personnel on site. All in all, not a pleasant stay..

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Meghan R, Front Desk Agent at Grey Fox Inn & Resort, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
As the front desk agent who provided this guest with customer service, I am truly apologetic that they did not enjoy their experience at The Grey Fox Inn.

When this guest arrived with her two family members, I allowed them into multiple rooms of many different styles, and they selected two on the upper level of the inn. The reviewer picked our beautifully appointed “Traditional Inn” room.

Due to our small staff, we do not formally offer a baggage handling service to our guests, but after she selected to stay upstairs, I did offer to have housekeeping assist in bringing her bags to her room. I again offered when she switched rooms on the second day of her stay.

The following morning, when the reviewer mentioned that she had not slept well, I apologized and again allowed her to enter multiple rooms to determine if another room would better suit her needs. She requested to try out the beds in other rooms, which we do not normally allow due to the added stress this causes housekeeping, but our housekeeper happily obliged.

She made her selection and opted to move to what she refers to as a “One Bedroom Suite”. This room is actually our “Standard Queen” room, which is more basic than the room she selected the first night. I do admit that I am rather confused as to why she would have selected that room if, upon her inspection only moments before, she thought that it was depressing, dark and drab. Regardless, I apologize that she did not find that room to be to her liking after making that switch and, had the guest mentioned to me that she was again unhappy with her accommodations, I would have continued to help her find the perfect room.

Around noon on the third day of their stay, the reviewer informed me that a family emergency required her to depart early. Though she still had two nights reserved for both rooms, I assisted her in cancelling the remainder of her stay, voided half of our usual penalty for early departures, and wished them the best. At their time of departure, they thanked me and again, did not voice any issues with their stay beyond the first night’s sleep.

As is the case with many similarly sized hotels in Stowe, we do not staff our front desk 24 hours a day, which we state in our confirmation letters, sign-in sheets and verbally at check-in. When the front desk closes, we lock the building and only those with room keys can enter. We provide a phone in our entryway with a number to call for assistance after we lock the building, as well as a sign on the front desk indicating how to solicit help if needed. Fortunately, Stowe is a very safe town, and should a serious problem ever arise, we are perfectly located just over one mile from the police and fire station and fifteen minutes from the nearest hospital. Had this guest mentioned that they were feeling uneasy without a 24 hour staff, I would have been happy to find them alternate accommodations.

After re-reading this guest’s review multiple times, I am discouraged that my best attempt to offer both excellent and compassionate customer service was apparently unsuccessful, and regretful that the guest does not have a positive memory of our inn even after multiple steps were taken to ensure that she was able to determine exactly what bed, décor and location she would have. I would hope that, if she finds herself in Stowe in the future, she would consider giving us a second chance to impress her.

To all of our future guests, please remember that though I do strive to provide the best customer service possible, I cannot provide a solution to a problem that I am not aware of, and rarely can anything be done to rectify any level of dissatisfaction after a guest departs. By mentioning a problem as soon as it arises, it is much easier for a member of our staff to correct the situation. I both encourage and welcome the reviewer and future guests to call us at 1-800-544-8454 should they have a question or comment about The Grey Fox Inn.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Glens Falls, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My husband and I decided to take a drive and spend a night in Stowe at the last minute. We found the Grey Fox Inn along with a few other properties on line. I wanted to sit in the sun and read a book and my husband wanted to be able to enjoy some bike or hiking trails. We wanted a little more deluxe but not a huge resort pushing time shares. The property is nice, clean and the mountain view rooms were fairly new. Everything was in good shape and the restaurant was very good. The pool, not what I was looking for. Small, for the most part it was shaded and not 1 lounge chair. I thought the pictures made it look bigger but realized later that there were no lounge chairs in the pictures either. Had I used my travel agent I probably would have known this so I don't blame the property. Also no beverages (regardless of where they were bought) allowed so I wouldn't have been able to have my drink and sit by the pool anyway. This property is strict on outside drinks so those bottles of wine we brought were not opened. I think this is important information to have as I would not have booked a hotel where I couldn't have a drink by the pool. The indoor pool was also small and not very inviting but everything was clean. The game room was in a basement. Not that we would have stayed inside but in ski season I could see where these areas would be important. Only 1 place to get ice in 3 buildings, this was inconvenient. There is a nice bar and the drinks here were good. Not a lively place. Beds were basic, rooms were basic with no mini fridge and amenties were basic. Close to town and right on the bike trail which was fabulous. Overall a nice small property who does a great job. I would rate at First class/3 stars.

Room Tip: The mountain view rooms were in a spereate building close by. They were quieter, fairly new but sti...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Very clean room, quiet and nice. I appreciated the possibility to open the windows, and to smell Stowe’s fresh air. Desk personnel were ok. We didn’t try their restaurant, since there are so many good restaurants in Stowe. The Inn is renting bikes, and has two pools (indoor and outdoor).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed here one night on a motorcycle trip through Vermont. We stayed in room 35 in the Mountain View Manor which is a mountain view deluxe I room with two queen beds, a balcony and a kitchenette. The room was adequate. The beds were adequate. Nothing to rave about. just your standard run of the mill mattress with holes in the blankets and foam pillows.I can live with that but expect a bit more for $154 + taxes. My big complaint was the lack of water pressure in the shower. It was a challenge just to rinse off soap. Rinsing my hair was nearly impossible.
We like to book hotels with restaurants so at the end of a long bike ride we don't have to mount up again to go to dinner, so the Grey Fox fit the bill.
Unfortunately the restaurant is outrageously overpriced. $24.99 for an entree is insane. It wouldn't have been so bad if it was great food but it was just ok. Nothing to rave about.
I also saw on the dessert menu $6.00 for two scoops of plain vanilla ice cream... Crazy.
Anyway.. If you can get a great deal here and just need a place to sleep it works. Looking for something better than your standard motel experience then I advise go elsewhere.

Room Tip: If booking in the Mountain view manor during a busy time of year book the top floor. You can hear ev...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Western NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We chose Stowe as a central location for things we wanted to do in the New England area which included daytrips to Burlington, Maine (and Mt Mansfield itself). The location was convenient to the interstate and we chose Grey Fox since we stayed there some years ago. The last time there we stayed in the Mountain View Manor but since we were traveling so much this time we opted for the Main Inn. We knew we weren't going to spend much time in the room so the lower cost was appealing.

The room we stayed in was a bit quirky. The bathroom was extremely small. Two people could not occupy the room at the same time. The sleeping area was a bit cramped as the king bed had just a very narrow area to walk around. That said, however, we were quite comfortable and have no complaints at all about the service. Clean, comfortable rooms and a friendly, helpful staff go a very long way with us. Kudos to everyone there.

We only had time for one breakfast in the Dutch Pancake Cafe but it was terrific. Our server was friendly and attentive and the food was excellent.

We had a great time in Vermont and the Grey Fox Inn was the icing on the cake.

Room Tip: Some noise from the early trash pickup on the west side (back) of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Cornwall, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

We were originally headed to the Inn directly across the street, but the charm of the Grey Fox Inn & Resort was what won out in the end! We were not disappointed!

All the staff, from the front desk to the restaurant and bar staff were friendly and helpful. The food was great, the service second to none, the atmosphere relaxing and enjoyable and the rooms charming and very clean!

The Inn has bike rentals and backs right onto the scenic 4 1/2 mile bike path through the mountain and along the ravine or one short mile right into the beautiful New England style village of Stowe. There are two pools one indoors and one out. It also boasts a workout room, sauna, hot tub, laundry facilities, and games room.

The close proximity of the Inn to all of what the beautiful Vermont mountains has to offer makes it a great place to stay as well! It seems you're never more than a few minutes from anything you might like to do, from hiking to alpine sliding, from shopping to enjoying a show or even taking a gondola ride or going horseback riding just to mention a few.

We will definitely return to The Grey Fox Inn & Resort! I'm thinking October with all the breathtaking Fall colors! :)

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Les Coteaux
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

We went to Stowe for a motorcycle ride and stayed at the Grey Fox. Service was really good. Jen (front desk) found us a wooden board for the motorcycle on the gravel parking.
Television screen are kind of small (19 inches for watching a hockey game)!!!!

Thank you very much to Jen. and the waitresses Katrine & Danielle

We really appreciated our stay at this motel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grey Fox Inn & Resort? Share your experiences!