“Mountain stop over” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 23 hotels in Stowe
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
“Mountain stop over”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

A very nice cheap and cheerful hotel . The staff were very friendly , nothing was a bother . The rooms were very clean , large and well appointed, but kind of "tired" The place could do with sprucing up a bit , but we enjoyed it very much
The hotub was the best I have ever been in , but the indoor pool was freezing , such a shame . Plenty of towels etc

Room Tip: Ask for a river view , if not , you are facing the road
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

48 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Baltimore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I wrte a review last year when we stayed here but we were here again this past August and I wanted to write another review. It was another wonderful experience. The staff is so friendly and helpful. They let us keep our cold food and drink in their big walk in refrigerator which was so helpful. We had several meals outside of our rooms with friends and it was great. They are very dog friendly! We will definitely go back next year!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Westerly, RI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

The mountaineer inn at stowe is a great place to stay. Very affordable. I called last minute and the wonderful lady at the front desk told me to not make the reservation online and that she would just hold the room for me. When I got there she recognized my name and asked us all about what we were doing. She gave us options for the room and we landed a room with the most amazing view of the meandring river right in their backyard. Our wine bottle opener broke and the attendant gave us one to use as well as a blow dryer. The deck off the room was amazing for star gazing at night. The grounds were beautiful and the recreation trail was literally in the back yard. There is a beautiful and clean pool, sauna, and hot tub. The room was clean, pillows comfy and sheets smelled wonderful. The next morning upon check out the same front desk attendent took time to help us find things to do in Burlington which was a very short drive away. The only downside I could think of was the beds were a little too soft and it would have been a bit more quaint if there were a few cute pictures on the walls in the room but it didn't matter because the room was so clean. The location was good, half way between downtown area and the mountain. Tons of hiking, biking and kayaking right around the corner. We will definitely be staying here on our next trip because it was affordable and our experience was unbelieveable, perfect for what we were looking for.

• Stayed August 2013
Guelph
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

My mother and aunt and uncle have stayed at the mountaineer for years. This year my boyfriend and I joined them. We found the inn a good value. The rooms are cute and a little old fashion but clean when we got there and cleaned very well daily. Each room had a small deck or patio which was nice. The hot tub pool area was awesome so nice after a long day on the slopes. View from our room at the back of the hotel was bueatiful. Dave the chef was friendly and welcoming. Previous reviews complained about service. We broke a key off in a door and had to page the management in the middle of the night. The manager wasn't thrilled but was accessible and it was appropriate in the situation. The day time lady was very helpful. The location was ideal half way between downtown and the slopes. We will be back!

• Stayed March 2013
Verona, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Terrible customer service! We checked in and were given a room that wasn't cleaned by housekeeping since the prior guest. That wasn't the bad part. The man who checked us in was actually very nice and he handled the mistake beautifully until a manager showed up and took over because shifts were switching. We were late for dinner by then so we asked if they could correct the problem and then give us our room key when we get back from dinner. The woman (manager) told us that it wasn't their fault that we had to wait because we didn't have a reservation (which we did). We brushed that rude comment off and went to dinner. When we got back we had to page someone because there wasn't anyone at the desk. The woman from earlier came out and we asked for our room. She then proceeded to tell us that we never checked in because we left for dinner. But we had checked in and just needed a clean room. The woman then continued to tell us that everything that happened since we'd showed up was our fault. ZERO concern for customer service and zero management skills of any sort. The room was cute once we got a clean one! One employee (who said she was the only person we could talk to when we asked for a supervisor, manager or owner) completely ruined our experience and is single handedly ruining the business at The Mountaineer in Stowe VT.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Northern NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

My recent experience with the Mountaineer was not a positive one. On checking in to my room, there was garbage left by the previous guest. I alerted the front desk before I went to dinner. When I returned more than 3 hours later, the trash was still there & the front desk was closed until morning. Also a problem was the fact that the toilet flushed itself every few minutes. Another unresolved issue even though I left a note for housekeeping! Also, the shower doors were so off track I had to squeeze into the shower. With all of these issues it is obviously time for staff retraining, if they were ever trained at all. I traveled with a group, and although I had no issues with rude staff, I witnessed one of my traveling companions being spoken to with unwarranted surliness when she mentioned that the room she was checking in to was unmade. All things considered, I would NEVER in good conscience recommend this inn to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Cheshire, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The hotel is very well situated 1/2 between the base of the mountain and the center of town. The rooms were basic and a bit dated but very clean and pleasant with a supportive bed. More than adequate for the reasonable price which includes a continental breakfast served at 7:00am(early enough to get to mountain shortly after it opens the main quad lift). In my case the staff was pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Mountaineer Inn at Stowe? Share your experiences!