“Good value and location” 4 of 5 stars

The Mountaineer Inn at Stowe
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   3343 Mountain Road, Stowe, VT 05672   |
Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Stowe
Guelph
“Good value and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

My mother and aunt and uncle have stayed at the mountaineer for years. This year my boyfriend and I joined them. We found the inn a good value. The rooms are cute and a little old fashion but clean when we got there and cleaned very well daily. Each room had a small deck or patio which was nice. The hot tub pool area was awesome so nice after a long day on the slopes. View from our room at the back of the hotel was bueatiful. Dave the chef was friendly and welcoming. Previous reviews complained about service. We broke a key off in a door and had to page the management in the middle of the night. The manager wasn't thrilled but was accessible and it was appropriate in the situation. The day time lady was very helpful. The location was ideal half way between downtown and the slopes. We will be back!

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Verona, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Terrible customer service! We checked in and were given a room that wasn't cleaned by housekeeping since the prior guest. That wasn't the bad part. The man who checked us in was actually very nice and he handled the mistake beautifully until a manager showed up and took over because shifts were switching. We were late for dinner by then so we asked if they could correct the problem and then give us our room key when we get back from dinner. The woman (manager) told us that it wasn't their fault that we had to wait because we didn't have a reservation (which we did). We brushed that rude comment off and went to dinner. When we got back we had to page someone because there wasn't anyone at the desk. The woman from earlier came out and we asked for our room. She then proceeded to tell us that we never checked in because we left for dinner. But we had checked in and just needed a clean room. The woman then continued to tell us that everything that happened since we'd showed up was our fault. ZERO concern for customer service and zero management skills of any sort. The room was cute once we got a clean one! One employee (who said she was the only person we could talk to when we asked for a supervisor, manager or owner) completely ruined our experience and is single handedly ruining the business at The Mountaineer in Stowe VT.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Northern NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

My recent experience with the Mountaineer was not a positive one. On checking in to my room, there was garbage left by the previous guest. I alerted the front desk before I went to dinner. When I returned more than 3 hours later, the trash was still there & the front desk was closed until morning. Also a problem was the fact that the toilet flushed itself every few minutes. Another unresolved issue even though I left a note for housekeeping! Also, the shower doors were so off track I had to squeeze into the shower. With all of these issues it is obviously time for staff retraining, if they were ever trained at all. I traveled with a group, and although I had no issues with rude staff, I witnessed one of my traveling companions being spoken to with unwarranted surliness when she mentioned that the room she was checking in to was unmade. All things considered, I would NEVER in good conscience recommend this inn to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Cheshire, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The hotel is very well situated 1/2 between the base of the mountain and the center of town. The rooms were basic and a bit dated but very clean and pleasant with a supportive bed. More than adequate for the reasonable price which includes a continental breakfast served at 7:00am(early enough to get to mountain shortly after it opens the main quad lift). In my case the staff was pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Most important things in a hotel stay are cleanliness and comfort, truly. My friend and i found this place last minute on an impromptu ski weekend in December and were given a room on the bottom floor. We stayed for one night. It was clean and I felt comfortable using the bathroom and sleeping in the bed so I suppose it did the trick, but overall the experience was just not a great one. The floors between the first and second floor are not sound proof so when the herd of elephants checked in to the room above us around 2:30 am, I was wide awake, I was steaming angry about this. The hot tub felt kind dirty but any indoor pool/hot tub usually does. The breakfast was free but so depressing. The room they serve it in is totally dark, tables are set, no music, and a mish mash of chairs and tables all over the place. I also had to endure the weakest cup of coffee I've ever had and after my broken sleep I really needed the coffee. I wouldn't stay here again. The hotel has immense potential. It's in a great location and the owner either doesn't have the money or doesn't care, but it could use some real TLC. If so it could be a great little hotel.

Room Tip: Demand a room on the top floor!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Queens, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

My room was swarming with bugs. Initially I didn't notice, but when my friend found one on my chest (she thought I had developed a mole) I immediately called the manager she slammed me with a 75 fine for smoking in the room and never apologized for the infestation! the bugs where everywhere, I noticed the bedspread moving; it was the bugs. The rooms have a lovely home style decor, with doors opening to the beautiful outdoors. Her own staff tells me she drinks and smokes while on the job. The jacuzzi which i once looked forward to was cold. When i asked for a towel, i was told to wait by the pool area, No one showed and I was left having to use the towel in the room. It's a pity because I had written a wonderful review the past year! It's a lovely place if only managed properly.

• Stayed January 2013
Hamden, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Room was clean, bed comfort acceptable, internet strength good, continental breakfast really poor. The check in was pleasant but my request for a quiet room was not honored even though there are less than 5 rooms booked. Overall a poor value. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Mountaineer Inn at Stowe? Share your experiences!