“An awkward weekend” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 25 Stowe B&B and Inns
Danbury, Ct.
“An awkward weekend”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We recently spent a wet, snowy late season ski weekend at the Brass Lantern. The inn is located along Rt. 100 about a quarter mile north of the village of Stowe. It’s convenient to Stowe's shops and restaurants, but barely 30 feet off of the highway. The interior is comfortable and spotless. Our room was fairly large with a king bed and a gas version of a wood stove, but nowhere to hang damp ski clothes. The bathroom had fully modernize fixtures, but as might be expected, old and troublesome plumbing. The room had windows on two sides: one directly facing Rt. 100 and the other looking out toward some condos across a quiet field. It may have had a view of the mountains in the distance, but that weekend the clouds and fog never lifted high enough for us to see. The road noise was not a problem for us since we were up early both mornings and traffic during the night is minimal. It may be more of an issue in summertime, particularly if you plan on sleeping late.

Breakfasts were a bit different than most B&B’s. Each day, there was a fixed menu consisting of a starter course and a main course. The starters were a fruit, nut, yogurt mix the first day and an apple cobbler type dish the next. Both were very good. The main course the first day was an egg concoction baked in small dish that was rather rubbery and tasteless. The next day it was a more traditional but undistinguished plate of pancakes and sausage. Coffee, tea, and juice were available, but no alternative foods other than some packaged oatmeal.

A small room off of the main entrance hall serves as a reception area. Upon entry to the inn, you are greeted with signs on several door frames and on every table in the reception area stating that no shoes, boots or other footwear is permitted anywhere in the inn. Considering our need to move the baggage and equipment associated with a lengthy ski trip from the snowy parking lot, through several rooms, a long hall, and steep stairs to get to our room this presented some problems. While contemplating this, the owner appeared and immediately handed us a form to sign which said that we would be charged another $30 per half hour if we stayed beyond 10:30 am on the day of departure. This was not the most pleasant way to greet guests, but since we were planning on skiing both days, I did not think it would be a problem. We signed the form and went back trying to shuffle our gear from the car to the room while minimizing our violations of the footwear rule. On Sunday the clouds and fog had descended into the valley completely obscuring the mountain. In addition, my wife had a painful ankle from an injury on Saturday, so we decided not to ski that day. Although we were up early, we took our time having breakfast and packing. After breakfast we found the plumbing in our bathroom no longer worked, requiring several painful trips downstairs by my wife to use the lower hall bathroom. While she rested her ankle, I started shuffling our bags and gear downstairs. By now we were approaching the 10:30 deadline. As I arrived in the reception area with the second load of gear, I see the owner moving my first load including my computer case out onto the ground of the wet snowy parking lot. Since I was still in my stocking feet so as to not violate rule one, all I could do was ask him stop. As I scrambled to get my boots on, his wife cheerily assured me that she would not charge me for violating rule two while trying to comply with rule one. It all provided an awkward ending to a not very comfortable weekend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
outdoorenthusiast802, Owner at Brass Lantern Inn, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
We are so very sorry that your trip to Stowe coincided with a rainy winter weekend. We tried our best to warm the environment and experience with our hospitality but based on your comments we apparently missed an opportunity with you. With that stated we truly believe we did our very best to provide you with a peaceful and quiet stay.

And to respond to your specific items-
Thank you for the note on hanging wet ski clothes. We will add drying racks (foldable types) in each room before this next winter. This is an excellent detail item we had overlooked.

The mountain views - yes, again the rainy, gray weekend precluded that view. I don’t know what we could have done to correct that item.

Plumbing, this building was converted to a B&B in 1988 and the plumbing, while not “old,” does have toilet fixtures that meet EPA standards for low water consumption and perhaps that was the issue you are referring to. If you had alerted us to the issue (clogged toilet?) at the time we would have been more than happy to address the issue immediately.

Breakfast service – as we typically explain to our guests during the check-in tour (which you did not want to take) we do offer alternative breakfasts for our guests. We completely understand that guests may have allergies, dietary restrictions and yes, preferences (for example, “I don’t like eggs”). Oatmeal was not your only alternative and sorry that you thought that it was. We explain to all guests that take the check-in tour that we are more than happy to make a separate breakfast if requested. If you saw something on the menu that did not look appealing or you preferred something else we just needed to know that then to allow us to make an adjustment, not now almost three months later in your review. Each day we post the menu for the following morning to allow guests the option to let us know of their preferences. Not sure how we could have adjusted our service without knowing your concern at that time.

Boots and winter wear – yes, as an intimate Bed & Breakfast we do ask guests to remove their shoes/boots that are laden with salt, sand and snow for the safety and yes, cleanliness of our Inn and absolutely for the sake of our other guests. We have maple wood floors through much of the Inn that, when wet, can be a safety hazard (slippery when wet). And as we can’t have someone standing in the foyer throughout the day mopping the floor as guests come and go we ask our guests to take off their snowy boots in the winter. We are sorry if you took offense to the signs and the convenience of having boot trays at the entrance foyer and for floors that were then dry and clean. And thanks for the 5 stars rating regarding cleanliness, and sorry you missed the connection here with our request for shoes off in the winter.

Luggage service – On check-out, after providing a bag of ice for your wife’s ankle, and noting your luggage in the foyer, I asked your wife if I could take the luggage out to the car for her. She said “yes,”and I took two bags out to your car. Upon realizing the trunk was not open to allow me to load the bags I returned to the foyer with bags in hand. And please let me make it very clear, I never, ever, set any bag on the wet parking lot as you claim. I am not that careless and feel that it is quite unfair for you to make such a statement when I did not do any such thing.

When I returned to the foyer with your two bags you quite loudly admonished me for taking your luggage outside and when your wife tried to explain I had offered my help you scolded her as well. The “awkwardness” that you so aptly note is perhaps due to that fact that there were several guests standing in the foyer at that same time witnessing this entire exchange. I am sorry, but we did nothing to deserve that kind of comment or action from you at that time. I felt awkward as well.

At check-in, we do ask guests to sign that they understand our need to have a smoke free environment, alerting them to the breakfast hours, and the time for check-out (as check-out times can certainly vary between lodging establishments). Again, we have these policies in place to provide the best level of service possible. If you wanted a late check out, and depending on our occupancy for that day, we are happy to provide guests with a late check-out in the room or store your bags and let you rest in our common areas for as long as you want.

We are sorry that you felt awkward and uncomfortable as you state. We feel that we did everything we could to afford you with a comfortable stay.

George Lewis
Owner/Innkeeper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

George and Mary Anne's good-natured hospitality make us feel like family at this charming bed and breakfast and keep us coming back every winter. The breakfasts live up to their well deserved reputation!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
outdoorenthusiast802, Owner at Brass Lantern Inn, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
While we very much enjoy the opportunity to meet so many new people, our return guests add a certain validation to our sense of "reward" as Innkeepers of this B&B. We thank you very much for your many return trips and can't thank you enough for taking time out of your day to express these kind words. This is why we chose this new pathway in life!
Thanks,
Mary Anne and George
Stanley, Falkland Islands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Christmas at the Brass Lantern was beautiful, with snow on the ground and a warm, blazing fire to sit and read by. Breakfasts were delicious. Mary Ann and George were so welcoming, making sure that everything was perfect for me. Christmas morning in the dining room, watching the snow fall whilst eating my breakfast was blissful and then Mary Ann made it so very special bringing a gift to my table, as she did with every guest as they came down to breakfast. My room was so comfortable and large, with every detail well thought out. Definitely plan to go back again, many times!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Thank you to our first Falkland Island guest! Your words touched us very much and we were so fortunate to have you here during the Christmas season. Many guests ask us how we feel about being Innkeepers on Christmas Day, well, your response helps explain that as we too feel very touched by the season and being able to share a part of that experience ("blissfully"...) with so many new friends. We do hope you can and will return and thank you so much for sharing these experiences with those considering us for a stay in Stowe.

Warmest Regards,
Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We were very pleased with our stay at Brass Lantern Inn. The innkeepers, Mary Ann and George, are wonderful hosts; welcoming, helpful. The breakfasts are delicious, and the rooms are comfy and nicely decorated. We definately plan a return visit!

Room Tip: Some rooms have beautiful mountain views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
We thank you for your stay, kind words regarding your experience and plans to return. We are forever grateful of the opportunity to serve and greatly rewarded from your comments here. We do hope to host you again and look forward to that opportunity.

Kindest Regards,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Pulling up to Stowe, Vt was absolutely beautiful but turning into the Brass Lantern Inn was gorgeous. Before stepping out of the car the view of snow laden hills was remarkable. But wait it gets better. Opening the door to enter the Inn was like walking into a home away from home. Then we met the two most fantastic people, Mary Anne and George. These two souls make you feel like you've known them forever. Our room, Sugarloaf, was clean and setup wonderfully. That same mountain view seemed to follow us upstairs. Every morning breakfast was beyond expectations including amazing food prepared by George and service/conversations with Mary Anne. We got used to Georges specialties, which everyone should experience. Mary Anne talked about Stowe; its beauty and the many things to do! After a long day of sightseeing we came "home" to Mary Anne's delightful cookies and tea. Once you visit Brass Lantern Inn you will fall in love with both hosts and Stowe plus have an amazing experience. Sue and I would like to thank you both again! At the end of our trip it was like leaving home for a visit elsewhere!

• Stayed April 2013
outdoorenthusiast802, Owner at Brass Lantern Inn, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind and thoughtful comments. We realize from your comments just how fortunate we are to be here and have this opportunity to be of service. As they say, home is where the heart is, and it appears we provided the type of atmosphere that we had hoped for and that you were looking for in your trip to Stowe.

Thanks again for taking the time to pass on these comments and please visit us again!

Warmly,
Munich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We recently spent 3 nights in this Inn. The staff / owners are really helpful, and will go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. Breakfast is prepared fresh every day, our favorite was the quiche that George makes himself along with the fresh fruit salad.

We picked the hotel based on price, location and weren't disappointed. We were the only people at the Inn, the weekend after breakfast, so it was nice and quiet, and it felt like we had just rented someone's home. In the evening they had a fire on, and they generously have some food and sweets out in the lounge to fight off any pre-dinner hunger pangs.

If I had to find a bad point it, it would be the coffee at breakfast. But this is a general issue for coffee in the US, filter coffee, standing out on a heater for a half hour will make any coffee not taste nice. A Keurig machine or a nespreso machine, might be easier and would certainly have better quality. Still this is such a minor point, I can't bring myself to take a point off.

If you choose the Brass Lantern you will have a great relaxing stay, that's for sure !

Room Tip: We stayed in the Spruce Peak room, #1 which had a fire and a hot tub.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
outdoorenthusiast802, Owner at Brass Lantern Inn, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for your comments and very kind words regarding our service and the breakfast quiche. The quiche is one of our breakfast entrees that returning guests will sometimes request. Of course we are happy to oblige and I am known to make a little extra for the Innkeepers as well!

It is nice to have guests here during our quiet weekday periods in the shoulder season. We enjoyed the opportunity to chat with you casually at breakfast and during the evening to catch up on your day.

And very sorry as per your suggestion regarding a Keurig Coffee maker in the Inn, apparently, I must have breezed through the Inn tour on your arrival.

We do have a Keurig coffee maker and several types of complimentary k-cups in the Lounge/Game Room adjacent to the Breakfast Room. This Keurig is in place, as you note, to allow our guests to have coffee whenever they choose in a variety of flavors and fresh from a single serving K-cup. The beverage station with this Keurig machine also includes a refrigerator (allow our guests to chill their wine/beer or cheese), a microwave oven and complimentary mw popcorn. Again, sorry for not making these amenities more obvious to you during our tour.

Thank you for the full star review and taking the time to share your experiences. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Cheers,
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We were in Stowe for the weekend to ski and decided to stay at the Brass Latern Inn based on the tripadvisor reviews. This place did not disapoint. Cozy and relaxing are the best words to describe this Inn. We felt welcomed the moment we stepped inside. Mary Anne and George are very friendly. The Inn is located on the main road just outside of town. It's a short drive the mountain in the morning and an even shorter drive into the town of Stowe. Would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
We are always very grateful to hear that we have lived up to our TA reviews. We realize how important your time away is and how the value of your stay relates directly with the experience you have here. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience with others. For our small, family owned and operated venture, these comments and your recommendations are invaluable. Thank You!

Best,
George and Mary Anne

Been to Brass Lantern Inn? Share your experiences!