“Solid Choice, Totally Satisfactory in all Respects” 5 of 5 stars

Ye Olde England Inne
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   433 Mountain Rd, Stowe, VT 05672   |
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Stowe
Always looking south
“Solid Choice, Totally Satisfactory in all Respects”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2007

We stayed 2 nights during a vacation of other areas as well, and sad we didn't stay here longer. We upgraded to a 'cottage' room on arrival and were delighted. Even the furniture, design and amenities are high class for a rental establishment.

Pickwick's (restaurant and bar) was perfect, such attention to detail in the decor, food and drinks. The wine/single malt scotch menu was like a book, and would be good coffee table material. They have so many choices it takes forever to decide, and much appreciated was a detailed description of every wine/scotch area around the world together with comments on each kind.

Make this your home base in Stowe, there's simply no way you could be disappointed!

• Liked — room and food
  • Disliked — nothing wrong at all
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2007

My wife and I have timesharing in Stowe and have been frequenting the Inne and Mr. Pickwicks Pub for more than 15 years, and have stayed there on weekends occaisonally. This past week we extended our visit to Stowe to try out one of their rooms on the hill behind the main building. The room (suite really) was superb - well appointed and comfortable, with great views. The owner, Chris Francis, is friendly and accomodating - and seems always to be on hand. The Sunday Jazz Brunch is a must. Over the many years of visiting the Inne and Pub we have never had an unsatisfactory experience.

• 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2007

Our wedding was this past weekend at Ye Olde England Inne and I cannot say enough about this location. Chris was excellent to work with and our day turned out perfectly. He worked very hard to get us all the things we needed and even personally arranged for an early breakfast for a couple that had to catch an early flight out of town the day after the wedding. These personal touches made our experience great. Our bridal suite was unbelievable. The views were amazing. The breakfast is such a great bonus to a wonderful stay here. Everyone was very personable including the bar tenders and waitstaff. Chris is always there at every turn making sure the guests are happy and comfortable. The boathouse makes for a perfect reception location. You will not find another place to get married in Stowe for this price! Whatever you want for your wedding, Chris can make it happen!

• Liked — The views are amazing and everything is a walk away.
  • Disliked — Some of the people we had staying in the main inn said it was a little loud, but that is not uncommon in any hotel.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bedford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2007

Arrived for two nights on a very hot humid day. We were given the key to our room which had a King Size bed. "My favourite room, "said the chap on the desk. We went up to our room and unpacked. I turned back the bedspread to find that the top sheet was not turned over the blankets as you would expect, but barely came up to the pillows. The blankets were therefore directly on the pillows. I also noticed at this point that the pillowcases didn't seem to be very well ironed. I tugged on the sheet to see whether it was just tucked in too much at the bottom but this was not the case. The bed had sheets on it that were too small. I also noticed at this point that someone else's shorts were in the bed! We went down to reception. The chap on reception was suitably apologetic, if not over engratiating, and said that that he could find us new sheets, but he would have to change it as the housekeeping staff had left, but he had never changed a bed before. I pointed out that the original sheets didn't fit the bed and he said that the previous occupants of the room had made the same comment!! Or we could change rooms. He made a point of then finding us a room that didn't cost any more. We went to view it, seemed ok. We then had to move all our belongings, which we took on their hangers, up a floor, along a corridor which was like a furnace, to the new room, took the old hangers back down again, went down to reception. The receptionist (who at some point made it clear he was not management and could not make any decisions) then proudly told us that we would have the new room at no extra charge ( would we really have been expected to pay the difference even though our room was not usable?) and that he would take off the housekeeping percentage charge of the bill. We didn't really think much more about this until we left. We had been expecting that there might have been some sort of apology from the management, or a bottle of wine or something of that nature. We were presented with the bill with the reduction of the housekeeping for one night. the grand total of $7. Yes, for those of you reading this in the UK, that is £3.50. A £3.50 ($7) reduction on a $175.08 a night room. I had been prepared to accept that the unchanged bed had been a genuine mistake, being a chambermaid is not an enviable job, but the cavalier attitude of the hotel makes me wonder if it is policy. After all, we might not have noticed if we hadn't turned down the bed until late at night and the shorts hadn't been in it. A money-making policy along with the $4 charge for the small bottle of water provided in the room. Otherwise the hotel is ok, but it is not full of either old world or new England charm, we saw plenty of places in New England that did (eg the Swift Inn in Middlebury) and were cheaper. In it's favour, the swimming pool was nice and refreshing, the view from the breakfast terrace was good and the girls serving breakfast were very pleasant.

• Disliked — read my review
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2007

Every summer we vacation at Ye Olde England Inne, Stowe, Vermont – it’s the most relaxing and comfortable Inne. This was our 8th visit and we thoroughly enjoyed it once again. Owners Chris and Lynn are fantastic. Chris is very in tuned to his guests; he is always visible verifying that you are comfortable. The Inne has terrific accommodations, old style comfort with four poster beds, Jacuzzis and fireplaces with a variety of packages to choose; from economy pricing to English elegance and luxury.

The food at Mr. Pickwick’s Pub is incredible on a scale of 1 to 10 it’s a 10 plus. Mr. Pickwicks has very rare specialty meals and a beef Wellington better than any place I’ve been. The staff really knows there beers and wines hundreds to choose from.

This is a great getaway, from the Boston area my husband and I travel from central Massachusetts to Stowe; after a beautiful drive up route 100 to Stowe; there is nothing nicer than to be greeted with such enthusiasm and friendliness.

Consider Ye Olde England Inne for a special get-away - It’s magnificent with incredible service

Mark & Beverly

• Liked — Clean, comfotable with home style comfort - enthusiasm and friendliness of owners and staff
  • Disliked — Liked everything
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hampshire, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2007

Don’t do it. I only stayed here because of the comments I read on tripadvisor. In England this would be called a pub offering bed and breakfast and you would pay only half the price. Believe me this is really bad. We stayed for 7 nights, our room was very small, although it was called a feature room. It was so small there wasn’t even room for a single chair. In the morning the road in front of the hotel is very noisy with traffic, the air con. is also very noisy, so you cannot sleep past 6am.
We visited other hotels in Stowe and they were all much much better.
On 2 nights the bar was shut at 9.30pm and I was told if I wanted a drink I had to drive 2 miles to a place called the “Shed.”. Once the barman leaves for the night there are no staff staying in the pub, you are given a phone number in case of emergencies (so no chance of room service).
You only see the owner Chris at some breakfast times, normally looking quite worried asking guests if everything is ok, looking like he is expecting complaints. He was rude to the waitresses, telling them off in public, whilst he sat doing nothing.
Stating the rooms décor was Laura Ashley was not true and even our curtain hooks were made from steel washers. Everything seems to be “done on the cheap” .
The only good things in this pub were the friendly waitresses and breakfasts. Please do listen to me and stay somewhere else, I would recommend the “Green Mountain Inn” or the “The Stowe Inn”.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
daniellemacauslan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2007

I had my wedding here, BIG MISTAKE! I was drawn in by a promise to commitment to excellence and “we’ll do anything.” Etc, etc. My guests were changed for things they didn’t use/order/eat/drink. They tried to change people for rooms they didn’t order. They messed up reservations that I and others had, forgetting to save rooms on one hand and then charging for people for the non-existing reservation when they left. Several hundred dollars of tabs to rooms were never authorized. My cake that I ordered from them and gave pictures as to how I wanted it was a disaster. It turned out completely opposite from what I wanted with pieces falling off. It tasted horrible too and most everyone didn’t eat it. I wasn’t allowed to decorate my area because it wasn’t set up until late in the day. I could go on but you get the picture. Stay away!

• Liked — The way the place looked
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ye Olde England Inne? Share your experiences!