“Delicious breakfast, great service” 4 of 5 stars

The Gables Inn
2.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   1457 Mountain Road, Stowe, VT 05672   |
Ranked #7 of 26 Stowe B&B and Inns
Fremont, California
“Delicious breakfast, great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

Stayed in the fall in October. Great breakfast made to order with a few options to choose from, charming ambiance, if a little dark. Owners were very nice. Throughout the day, also had coffee cake that was free and delicious. Room was a little dark and cold (wore long sleeves to bed).

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

What it lacks in accommodations, it makes up for with breakfast. To be fair, our room was probably the smallest room, with two twin beds, and we knew it was small up front. However, the floor was slanted to the extent that we had to prop up one of the legs of one of the beds to make it level. I don't know about the other rooms, but this room could use some updating and some floor-leveling. The rest of our experience was good, and the breakfast was amazing. If you don't stay here, at least eat here. The innkeepers are warm and personable, as well.

Room Tip: It's sitting on a busy road, even late at night, since it's the primary road up the mountain...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Solihull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

This was a fairly basic inn. The owners were friendly. Good for the price, we wanted a cheap night and we did get that. There was a big choice at breakfast and the owners recommended a lovely restaurant for dinner.

Wisconsin, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

I took a much needed 3 night vacation to Stowe at the very end of the fall foliage season. I was looking for a decent priced place that was cozy and comfortable. The Gables Inn was just that. I found the owners to be very helpful and friendly from the time I made my reservation until the time I checked out. I arrived mid-afternoon on a drizzly day and was promptly greeted and given the key to my room. I chose to stay in one of the standard rooms as they were the lowest price. These rooms do not have a TV, but who needs that when you are trying to relax! The room was very charming with wooden floors, a beautiful quilt on the bed and a large bathroom. The floors were creaky and the bed also creaked when getting in and out, but I thought that just added to the charm. If you don't enjoy staying in old buildings, this would not be the place for you. I was given great recommendations for restaurants that were close by and not too pricey. The breakfasts each morning were simply delicious. The weekend special was a crepe with caramelized peaches, mascarpone cheese and raspberry syrup! I don't know that I have ever had something so wonderful. I really enjoyed coming back to my room at the end of each tiring day, knowing that I could relax in bed with a good book. They also do have free Wi-fi and a TV in the common area. Coffee and cake are out all day. The Inn is not far from the center of town and was very easy to find. If/When I return to Stowe, I will certainly stay at The Gables Inn.

Room Tip: If you want a TV, you'll have to choose one of the suites. Rooms aren't air tight, but the...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

We felt lucky to find accommodation in the area for a reasonable price, and were not at all disappointed by what we arrived to discover. The inn was quaint, rustic, and charming - everything it claimed to be. It was not luxurious or opulent but had never sold itself as such and we felt that the laid back nature of the inn and its owners only added to the experience. The room was comfortable and clean. The breakfast was delicious. The location was lovely. The innkeepers offered wonderful suggestions for activities and for great restaurants to try for dinner. All in all, we thought the inn was fantastic and would certainly return again in the future.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

As part of New England Fall tour we stayed at Gables Inn with Randy and Annette (innkeepers), and Yogi the faithful dog.
Extremely friendly hosts and lovely accomodation,food and surroundings.
Breakfast are legendary as Randy says!
Large Room with Fireplace , very comfortable bed, very clean and well kept.
The place retains some authentic touches and does not try to be too sanitised, the better for it in my view.
We enjoyed this leg of our trip very much thanks to our hosts. No need to elaborate about Stowe what more can you say a beautiful destination.

We enjoyed the recommended hostelry "the Shed" pub for Ale & Food - try it you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for everything we will try and visit again.

David & Carole - Uk visitors

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a fireplace if you are in the fall or winter (i guess) it helps the am...
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

This is really good value for money. The owners, Annette and Randy are also operating the property. Therefore, if you need to speak with someone, you speak with the owner, it is sometimes easier than speaking with an employee. They are charming, helpful and very welcoming. The room I had, which was in the main building, could likely handle a little updating, but it would then be more expensive. And, the room & bathroom were clean, the bed was comfortable. I was there alone, so even if the room was more than adequate for a couple, I visited 2 another rooms for future reservations when I travel with my wife. These 2 other rooms were excellent, spacious, clean and very comfortable. The breakfast offered is just excellent and is generally available from 8:00 to noon. There is coffee and cake available at all times in the lobby.

Room Tip: Give a description of what you need, because they have rooms for different tastes and needs. The ow...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Been to The Gables Inn? Share your experiences!