As this was my first visit to Stowe I had only the internet search and reviews to go on. I chose The Mountain Road Resort despite some of the poor reviews I thought I would give this place a chance.
The gentleman that checked us in was very nice and offered many suggestions for dinner places and site seeing as well. It was in a good location not too far from the village but a bit of a ride to get to the ski resort. The lobby looked very nice as it has been renovated from what I've read online. Nice big fireplace with seating, a small bar and an area where the breakfast is laid out. We didn't go down for breakfast so I don't know what that was like. Some of the rooms have been renovated as well. I'm not sure if our room was a renovation or not. The carpeting did look fairly new in the room but in the doorway where you enter it looked a bit dirty. They would definitely benefit with a door mat in the entrance to catch the dirt.
Upon entering I did notice the strong odor that someone else had mentioned. It is a very overpowering disinfecting smell. Too overpowering. They should try and use something a little less potent. We were there for three nights and after a day the smell did begin to dissipate. I always bring candles with me when we go away just to keep a room refreshed smelling. This did help as well. We were in room #40 an ultra deluxe room on the bottom floor with a patio in the pool section. Room right next to the indoor pool and jacuzzi as a matter of fact. In the summer you can walk from your patio to the indoor pool or the outdoor pool. There was a nice gas fireplace, a king size bed, a small love seat and another chair. The furniture could definitely be updated. It looked a bit dated. Lamps seemed well used and the shades were a bit torn inside. The bed although it was very comfortable it could probably do with a new mattress as this one seemed a bit saggy. The gas fireplace also kept the room nice and toasty. I also want add that you would be better off in a room on the second level. The people above us were very loud walkers. And it seemed as though they never slept. We could hear them walking around all hours. The room on the second level were from room #44 and up. I will keep this in mind if I stay here again.
There was a small "euro kitchen" as they called it in the description on their website. It consisted of a small sink and small counter space with two electric burners. A microwave and some cabinets above holding dishware. We used the sink and the counter space and the coffee maker supplied but had no need to use the burners. There was no fan venting if you did cook. The whole set up looked from the 80's. Old and dated. There was what looked to be a large refrigerator and small freezer below the sink area. But this was no longer in use. Looked like it could be used for storage. The freezer side was being used to hold the toaster and a sponge and some detergent. There is a notice on the microwave that the maid service was not responsible for cleaning any dishes used. That is up to you to clean and put anything back that you use or be subject to a $15 charge.In my opinion they would be better off tearing all that out and just putting in a counter top and a mirror on the wall. So you could make coffee and use this space as a vanity perhaps since there is not much counter space in the bathroom. There was a small refrigerator supplied in the living area to use.
The light over the sink in the bathroom did not work upon arrival and I did tell the woman at the front desk when we went out. Later in the day when we came back the light was fixed. So they are very promp at taking care of any issues you may have, all you have to do is tell them. Later when we were going out the maintenance man saw me and inquired if the light was working ok, he had fixed it. He was very nice and friendly and I saw him at the property a lot taking care of things.
The shower was great and had a nice shower head. No lack of hot water and the bathroom was very clean. The whole place seemed to be well taken care of. I also want to mention that the whole room was very clean. One thing I want in a room whether it is dated or not is just that it is clean.
I would recommend this place and I would stay here again. There was also an area with a large window looking into the pool. This area had an air hockey game. On the second level a large window looked down into the pool area. This space had a nice seating area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to The Mountain Road Resort. We are conveniently located on the mountain road just 5 minutes from majestic Mount Mansfield, Vermont’s highest peak and home to Stowe mountain resort. We are within walking distance to most of Stowe’s art and antique galleries, restaurants, shops and entertainment venues and we are just 35 minutes from Jay peak, Mad River Glenn, and Smugglers Notch. We offer high quality lodging with consistently excellent service and six different types of accommodation. The Mountain Road Resort offers our guests’ great value and a balanced blend of modern amenities and timeless rustic charm. Whether you are traveling to Stowe for business, outdoor recreation, or pleasure the mountain road resort welcomes you and looks forward to providing you a clean well appointed room at a terrific rate. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, EasyToBook and Odigeo so you can book your The Mountain Road Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Mountain Road Hotel Stowe
- Mountain Road Resort
- The Mountain Road Resort Stowe, Vermont