“Enjoyed our stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Stowe
Massachusetts
“Enjoyed our stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

As this was my first visit to Stowe I had only the internet search and reviews to go on. I chose The Mountain Road Resort despite some of the poor reviews I thought I would give this place a chance.

The gentleman that checked us in was very nice and offered many suggestions for dinner places and site seeing as well. It was in a good location not too far from the village but a bit of a ride to get to the ski resort. The lobby looked very nice as it has been renovated from what I've read online. Nice big fireplace with seating, a small bar and an area where the breakfast is laid out. We didn't go down for breakfast so I don't know what that was like. Some of the rooms have been renovated as well. I'm not sure if our room was a renovation or not. The carpeting did look fairly new in the room but in the doorway where you enter it looked a bit dirty. They would definitely benefit with a door mat in the entrance to catch the dirt.

Upon entering I did notice the strong odor that someone else had mentioned. It is a very overpowering disinfecting smell. Too overpowering. They should try and use something a little less potent. We were there for three nights and after a day the smell did begin to dissipate. I always bring candles with me when we go away just to keep a room refreshed smelling. This did help as well. We were in room #40 an ultra deluxe room on the bottom floor with a patio in the pool section. Room right next to the indoor pool and jacuzzi as a matter of fact. In the summer you can walk from your patio to the indoor pool or the outdoor pool. There was a nice gas fireplace, a king size bed, a small love seat and another chair. The furniture could definitely be updated. It looked a bit dated. Lamps seemed well used and the shades were a bit torn inside. The bed although it was very comfortable it could probably do with a new mattress as this one seemed a bit saggy. The gas fireplace also kept the room nice and toasty. I also want add that you would be better off in a room on the second level. The people above us were very loud walkers. And it seemed as though they never slept. We could hear them walking around all hours. The room on the second level were from room #44 and up. I will keep this in mind if I stay here again.

There was a small "euro kitchen" as they called it in the description on their website. It consisted of a small sink and small counter space with two electric burners. A microwave and some cabinets above holding dishware. We used the sink and the counter space and the coffee maker supplied but had no need to use the burners. There was no fan venting if you did cook. The whole set up looked from the 80's. Old and dated. There was what looked to be a large refrigerator and small freezer below the sink area. But this was no longer in use. Looked like it could be used for storage. The freezer side was being used to hold the toaster and a sponge and some detergent. There is a notice on the microwave that the maid service was not responsible for cleaning any dishes used. That is up to you to clean and put anything back that you use or be subject to a $15 charge.In my opinion they would be better off tearing all that out and just putting in a counter top and a mirror on the wall. So you could make coffee and use this space as a vanity perhaps since there is not much counter space in the bathroom. There was a small refrigerator supplied in the living area to use.

The light over the sink in the bathroom did not work upon arrival and I did tell the woman at the front desk when we went out. Later in the day when we came back the light was fixed. So they are very promp at taking care of any issues you may have, all you have to do is tell them. Later when we were going out the maintenance man saw me and inquired if the light was working ok, he had fixed it. He was very nice and friendly and I saw him at the property a lot taking care of things.

The shower was great and had a nice shower head. No lack of hot water and the bathroom was very clean. The whole place seemed to be well taken care of. I also want to mention that the whole room was very clean. One thing I want in a room whether it is dated or not is just that it is clean.

I would recommend this place and I would stay here again. There was also an area with a large window looking into the pool. This area had an air hockey game. On the second level a large window looked down into the pool area. This space had a nice seating area.

Room Tip: If your in the club section get a room on the second level.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

The Mountain Road Resort is just that. We had stayed there during New Year's and got an opportunity to talk to the owner. It was very recently renovated and looks great!

The lobby is always staffed by helpful and attentive people and the place is decorated with sleek modern furniture. The cozy fireplace is a great place to hang out and meet other people staying there; you may also choose to hang out at the small bar which hosts many local wines/beers. There are a fair number of rooms, all which are quite large and comfortable, and self-temperature regulated. The rooms themselves probably have not been renovated recently but are still in good shape. The rooms open straight out into the parking area so we very much appreciated the boot bin set out as soon as you walk into your room so you don't track any snow in! There is more than ample parking available right outside your room door. There is also a large water recreation lodge located catercorner to the main building but we did not use this.

The inn is located a short driving distance from several of the local restaurants and shops, and is located close to Stowe mountain (if you want to ski). There is also a close running trail nearby that doubles as a snowshoeing trail during the winter (with great views!).

The breakfasts served were not fancy but fresh (fruits, juices), simple, and does the trick to get you going. There are takeaway cups available if you want to enjoy your beverage on the run, which is a nice touch! The dining room is spacious and generally quiet.

High points:
1. Good location (in town and from Stowe mountain).
2. Good amount of parking.
3. Roomy overall.

Low points:
None.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Stowe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and I, westayed there three nights. The hotel is really well placed. All trails, restayrants, village center with their cute small boutiques... everything is nearby... At the same time the hotel is not on the road, but in quiet area at few steps from the Main street. The Guest hall and roomsare just refurnished in a very modern style, that I adored. The indoor pool, the sauna and hot tubs were perfect.
I have to say that I'm at the 6th month of my pregnancy, so the cleanliness of the room and especially the swiming pool are very, very important. So, I can tell you that I felt secure and I don't have any complain about.
Adorable, friendly staff in all hotel.
I can even say Thank you, gays. You are wonderful.
The only thing is that the hotel is composed by two parts, so we had our room in one of those parts, but the swiming pool at the other, but it was not a real problem for us.
It was a great ski stay and if I have to choose once again, I'm going to take the same hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

It is a motel, as are many of the accommodations in Stowe, but back from the road so the noise level is moderate. We could hear people (and pets!) that were outside but not in the adjacent rooms. The room was large and a bit dated but with all the average amenities -coffee, shampoo, wifi. Overall the staff were helpful and friendly, the room was clean, the bed was of average comfort and the location is central to both the village and the ski hill.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ulverston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

The Mountain Road Resort has the feel of a hotel that is in the process of moving from dated accommodations to something more fabulously contemporary. The lobby, outdoor patio and indoor pool areas have a fresh modern European feel. Some of the same styling was carried over into the Jnr suite we stayed in. Quirky red lounge chair, modern lighting and original art work sat alongside other furniture that was clearly from an earlier era in the hotels history. Having done our research on Tripadvisor and other sites prior to booking we were not disappointed, we got what we expected. Our suite in the pool block was comfortable, clean and warm. The carpets and curtains were new. We could see other rooms were being redecorated and the faulty fireplaces were being repaired at the time of our stay. We booked our stay over Thanksgiving and it was quiet. The hotel was running on skeleton staff with no breakfast or full housekeeping, but they were helpful, going as far as calling our room to check if we needed fresh towels etc. The location is great for access into Stowe with a sidewalk opposite that goes all the way into the town. It's a few miles from the slopes by car. The resort is set back from the road so we noticed little road noise from our room. All in all we found our stay to be just what we'd expected and good value for money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Schenectady, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our room had many broken features, including the patio door, flat screen, tv, and fireplace. The staff made several excuses for the fireplace, stating they are seasonal and not in use during October, but then changed to stating that all of the fireplaces do not work and need to be replaced. Basically they lied and continue to advertise fireplaces on their website. When we asked to speak to the manager/owner, we were told he was busy making soup. Really?! Not what I would consider great customer care.The room was dated, which wasn't such a big deal, yet we were not getting what we paid for and were being treated poorly. Dont be fooled by the beautiful lobby, as our room was a dump. My husband and I made reservations three months in advance for our first wedding anniversary weekend. Nothing was mentioned when I made the reservation about the fireplaces. We were delighted when we found another hotel to stay at. In all of my travels, which are worldwide, I have never had to leave a hotel, but I am so glad we did because we had a great weekend regardless!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Woods Hole, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We had a fantastic stay! Mountain Road Resort is lovely, w/ beautiful rooms, a gorgeous lobby w/ lots of lovely art throughout the hotel & a wonderful indoor pool/Jacuzzi/sauna for R&R. Great hiking/biking trail right across the road on Stowe's recreation path.. The staff are all wonderful, thanks to Betty & Bob for all of your very cool tips on Stowe i.e. where to dine, hike & just enjoy our stay!! We look forward to coming back up to Stowe to explore more & of course stay longer at The Mountain Road Resort we love it, definitely the best hotel to stay at in Stowe!!! Congrats Bob to you & your fabulous staff!! THANKS! D&D

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Mountain Road Resort? Share your experiences!