“Beautiful stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Stowe
Champaign, Illinois
“Beautiful stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2008

My daughter and I stayed at the Trapp Family Lodge in honor of her lifelong (25 yrs old) love of The Sound of Music story. We were only able to stay one night but the stay far exceeded our expectations. The gardens were incredible. Tulips were at their peak.
The bakery is not to be missed. We didn't realize it was so far down the road but the walk helped us work off the croissants.
We hiked a couple of times and the paths were challenging enough so we felt like we had accomplished something when we got back to the Lodge.
Of course, we watched the short film about the real Maria who is featured all over the hotel in photos.
There was some confusion about the price of the dinner we had. When I booked with the hotel, I was told I needed to make a reservation for dinner. I did that at a later date and was told about a prix fixe 3-course dinner. The waiter told us about it too but when I got the bill, it was priced a la carte. At check-out, they explained that I hadn't pre-booked the meal plan as I had thought. OK, whatever, but the price difference was significant. The meal, however, was delicious.
I had wanted this to be a special mother-daughter trip in honor of her graduation from Penn and it was that.

• Liked — the setting, the history
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2008

We stayed for a week in chalet 27B, Village 3, at the end of April/beginning May as part of an exchange within Interval International. Anyone who is concerned about the condition of the units need not be worried, they have been completely renovated to a high standard. Just remember that you'll be staying in Tyrolean style chalets. We were greeted at the reception desk by very friendly and helpful staff - patiently answering all my disjointed questions (we had driven for 9 hours and I was a little fried!) Our unit was spotlessly clean, couldn't have asked for anything better. There is a large master bedroom with full bathroom, a second bedroom with twin beds, a second full bathroom, a small kitchen (well-stocked, the only thing I couldn't find was measuring cups/spoons not a big deal to most people but we love to cook and ate in almost every night so measuring utensils would have been handy), a dining room with a sturdy table able to seat up to 10 people, a spacious living room with fireplace (ample firewood provided), and a balcony able to seat four maybe six people at a pinch. We had breathtaking views over the valley and mountains. Stunning. Village 3 has only four chalets - more secluded and peaceful. Furnishings are relatively new and no longer, as previous reviewers found, cheesy or 70's style. For TV addicts....the television is only 22", lucky we brought our binoculars! Note for those staying during the summer - no a/c. Big bonus is the free wireless internet, very fast connection, we never had a problem using our laptop.
There is an outdoor pool and tennis courts. Also play areas for children. We were impressed with the Main Lodge and also the (new?) Fitness Center with it's beautiful indoor pool (felt like lukewarm water although I was assured it's 85!) and outdoor jacuzzi with great views of the mountains. Unlike me, remember to get your towels from the front desk before going to the changing rooms, and take a lock for the lockers - there is, surprisingly, no way to lock the locker so I ended up having to carry my pocketbook with me. Weight room is fine, also has treadmills and step machines. There is a climbing wall for kids but seems over-priced at $15. We had massages, very reasonably priced, Patti is fantastic. Didn't eat at the Lodge or the Tea Room but we did have strudel and eclairs from the Bakery, heavenly, and while we were there the bakery chef gave us a couple of chocolate cookies straight from the oven....divine.
We weren't in the area for ski-ing but heard that the cross-country ski trails are awesome here. We went hiking several times and really enjoyed the peace and tranquility of the area. There are trail maps available at the Main Lodge front desk, one day we hiked up to the Cabin and back, a loop trail of approx six miles, we thoroughly enjoyed it.
We were looking for a relaxing week but for those who want activities there are various classes and events posted in the Main Lodge lobby everyday. I think they hand out a newsletter each morning with everything listed.
We were very happy with our time at TFL. We were struck by the sense of family and community at TFL that you don't find in other resorts. Reading through the guestbooks left in our unit we realized that some families have been staying in 27B for 20 or so years, we actually met a couple from California who have been visiting TFL every year for 19 years. That many people can't be wrong!!
Feel free to contact me if you have questions; glad to help :-)

• Liked — Very quiet and stress-free
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2008

We went to TFL during the week between Christmas and New Year's for a holiday getaway. We booked an all inclusive rate that, while it got us a free cross country ski lesson that was really great (fabulous, patient instructor), did not include things like soda for our kids at dinner. You just never knew for sure what was included. The rooms were comfortable but do need updating, especially the bathrooms and TVs. The lodge is cozy and welcoming (lots fo Christmas trees for the holidays) and beautiful in the snow, and the trails are spectacular. The new (2005) fitness center/spa is a great addition and sitting in the outdoor hot tub during an evening snow storm was the highlight of the trip.

Dinner is an all evening affair, and while they are nice to the kids two hours is a long time to sit and the food is not really worth the wait. The dinners were the best - the breakfast buffet was uninspiring and the made to order breaksfast food just so so. Nothing terrible; nothing wonderful either. We have a child with special dietary needs and they did do their very best to accomodate that.

So it was very expensive for what you got but still a unique and enjoyable experience. If they updated the decor and spiffed up the menu it would be really lovely. We would probably not go again (if we were devoted cross country skiers we might, but we're not) but are glad we tried it.

• Liked — The setting adn the ski lodge staff and lots of Trapp Family history
  • Disliked — Decor needs updating, inconsistent quality in service and food
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
N.J.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2008

The Trapp Family Lodge is in need of a makeover. It has a worn look throughout the common areas. Our room was in need of a complete renovation. The furniture was worn as was the carpet. The television was a relic of the 1980's as was the bathroom. The lighting was dim. Someone apparently forgot to clean the room before our stay as there were dead flies in the light fixtures and live files buzzing around the insides or our windows. Worst of all there were dead flies in the sheets of the fold out bed. Do they change the sheets after a guest departs? The desk personnel were nice enough to send up new sheets with the night security guard and we remade the bed ourselves.
The room rates are too high for what is offered and they charge an amenity fee besides.
A letter to the managment after our stay elicited no response. I guess they are immune to dissatisfied guests.
Look elsewhere if you are going to Stowe.

• Liked — The View although the windows are too small.
  • Disliked — Flies both dead and alive
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
TrappManager, General Manager at Trapp Family Lodge, responded to this review, April 22, 2008
Trapp Family Lodge management has contacted the reviewer. A detailed response will be posted as soon as we have been successful in establishing contact.

It is our strict policy to respond to every guest request or concern brought to our attention. We are unsure about what happened in this case, and will make every effort to find a resolution.

none
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2008

Found the room to be overpriced @ $245. Cobwebs and dirt filled the ceiling and the floor. Wrote to the manager upon returning home and told him about it but never got a reply. Very identical to other reviews here.

• Stayed May 2007
TrappManager, General Manager at Trapp Family Lodge, responded to this review, April 24, 2008
We have contacted this guest in order to further discuss the concerns mentioned. As soon as we have been succesful in establishing contact we will update this listing.

Buxton, ME
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2008

We made last-minute reservations at the TPL over the holiday. We were booked in the Salzburg Suite at a rate of over $445, not including dinner, and were promised skiing from our room. The website advertises this suite as "luxury accommodations...perfect for romantic getaways."

The patio that we were supposed to ski in/out from was completely covered in snow. It was impossible to get out the door. We chose to eat in the lounge, as opposed to the formal dinner, and found it was closed for the holiday (nowhere did we see this advertised - even the pianist in the lounge was caught off guard by this news). So, we had to find an alternative at 8pm on an icy winter evening. The next morning, there was no hot water for showers. We asked if the $20 pp breakfast could be comped in consideration for this inconvenience, but were impolitely told that the hot water was now fixed (after we were all dressed and ready to go out for the day). To top it all off, the hotel staff tried to charge us for an extra night when we chose to check out due to the poor quality of service and accommodations.

We sent a letter to the TPL following our stay and never received the courtesy of a response.

We travel extensively and have paid far less per night and received much higher levels of service than provided at this lodge. Terrible experience if you're looking for a romantic weekend away!

• Liked — It was a poor experience for us. We were not able to enjoy anything the TFL had to offer.
  • Disliked — High priced with no value for that hefty price we paid. Staff was inconsiderate to our requests!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Trapp Family Lodge management is currently in contact with this guest to discuss the concerns mentioned.

Sparta, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2008

My family and I booked the TFL through Interval. We were able to get a 2 bedroom/ 2 bath room with full kitchen. I must say that based on some of the reviews I read about the TFL, I was hesitant about what I might find. (I am a NEAT freak, who wears flip flops in the shower at hotels and won't walk on the carpets with my barefeet).

I was pleasantly surprised to find that our room was spotless! Based on the pictures from the TFL's website, I thought the decor was going to be outdated. Again, I was pleasantly pleased with the decor. I don't think it was outdated at all, just decorated in Austrian style. The bed's had nice quilts and pretty throw pillows. The kitchen was small, (almost closet size), but had all the essential appliances needed to cook. I must say that cooking in definately saved us money! We did eat at the Lounge one night, which was very nice, but expensive. My husband and I both got a salad and an entree and our infant children split a meal. We also split a dessert. Our bill came to about $90.00. We did not get a chance to eat at the Austrian Tea Room, but would reccomment it. We stopped there on our last day, and it looked like it would have been a nice/quaint place to eat and not overly expensive. Also, there is a little gift shop with great Van Trapp / Sound of Music souvenirs. I only wish I had shopped there before visiting some of the gift shops in town. I found the prices to be a little cheaper at the TFL.

We were lucky to sit next to the Van Trapp family during dinner. They introduced themselves to us...they were very friendly. I think they introduce themselves to a lot of people (Sound of Music fans get a kick out of meeting a Van Trapp...makes for a nice souvenir). Our children were about the same age as their children, so we ended up talking for awhile. We questioned them about what activities we could do with our 2 1/2 & 1 year old, as the TFL doesn't really have any activities for toddlers. They do have lots of planned family activites throughout the week, however, for older children. They told us about local activities we could do with our children: story hour at the library, open gymnastics, etc. Christine (Johannes' daughter) also convinced us to try cross-country skiing on their award-winning trails, which we ended up doing. We're pretty good skiers, so pulling our two children in a polk (a trailer on skis), was not that difficult. I think we were crazy, but we skied all the way up to the Cabin (3 miles UP the mountain & 3 miles down the mountain). It was probably some of the prettiest skiing (and hardest skiing) I've ever done. I don't know if I would do it again, pulling the polk, but I would definately do it again skiing solo!

As for more activities to do with toddlers, we went swimming every night from about 7:30 - 8:30 which was when the pool closed. It was great! We almost always had the place to ourselves! The pool water was luke warm and the showers in the locker room were very clean. We did not use any of the other services in the athletic center, although the rock wall looked like it would have been fun. I would also suggest going to town and buying (or renting) a sled to go sledding on their hills. We had a blast!! They don't advertise sledding (for insurance purposes) but you are allowed...and their hills are great for sledding!! We also went on a horse & sleigh ride through the woods. We used a local company (Gentle Giants) because the TFL was booked. Our sleigh ride was very nice...I think the TFL's sleigh ride would have been more picturesque, though.

My only complaints (and they are minor) are that our guest house 22C was 40 stairs down the hill. It made packing and unpacking the car a pain. It would also have been nice to have a television in the master bedroom. Also, the laundry facility was a car drive away and check out time was 9:30 in the morning!! Other than that, we had a great time and would DEFINATELY return! We may even look into buying a time-share there...it was that nice!!

• Liked — Beautiful scenery, great skiing, a great family resort and The Sound of Music ambience!
  • Disliked — It was expensive...and we used a time share!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Trapp Family Lodge? Share your experiences!