“Always keeps me coming back” 5 of 5 stars

Topnotch Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   4000 Mountain Road, Stowe, VT 05672   |
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Stowe
Saratoga Springs, New York
“Always keeps me coming back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

After several visits to the Topnotch over the last few years, I felt that this time I needed to make sure that I told everyone about the reasons that I choose this resort. We went this time for a weekday ski/spa getaway (me ski, her spa), but mostly my wife just wanted some of that very unique "casual pampering". I don't know how else to call it...I want luxury (I certainly pay for it there), but I don't want to feel like I'm being worked through a hotel assembly line. In so many places we travel, we are treated very well but at this point every single bellboy looks the same. Every front desk looks the same and they all smile at me with the same look. Every once in a while, I crave a few nights in Stowe where I have seen the same bartender and desk clerk for years and even the staff that I don't recognize seem to at least pretend that we are long lost friends. It is the sort of place where you might stumble upon a quite nook and be beckoned to take a minute to really kick back on a sofa and read the newspaper or a book.

Last fall we came to Stowe and because I was lured by the idea of a slopeside hotel, we stayed at the new resort on the mountain to check it out before ski season. My wife was equally wooed by the thought of new large rooms. There must have been a convention at the hotel because I couldn't believe how busy it was. We clearly took second priority to these people and after three days I came to see this hotel as what it really is: a convention hotel...Another assembly line but with all of the prices and features of a luxury resort.

We took our ski vacation at the Topnotch, and we were so gladly welcomed with loving arms. For this experience I am willing to overlook the fact that I find their rooms a little too small and the prices are on the high end.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Braintree, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

This was our first and certainly not our last visit to Topnotch. The rooms were very comfortable, roomy , well appointed and quiet.
The staff and service couldn't have been better! I asked where I could get a bottle of water and a staff member brought me a bottle for each member of my family (6).
The pools and spa are beautiful and the the grounds and facilities are spotlessly clean.
Stowe is a great getaway spot anytime of the year!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Long Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

I had read some of the reviews about how this place was so outdated and how disappointed they were with the place. After my recent stay, I must disagree. I had a room on the third floor (top floor) with cathedral ceilings. The look and feel of the place is of a cozy mountain cottage. If you are expecting the stuffiness and style of the Waldorf Hotel or Trump Plaza, then you are going to be disappointed. There are no marble floors and pillars, no gold statutes or even dark oak paneling on the wall. The walls are white molding and wall paper. There are doormen and bellhops who will gladly assist you but are not in those TV style uniforms. I found the spa and the indoor pool to be modern but yet serene. Even the outdoor pool was heated and very clean. The scenery from the outdoor pool was beautiful with Stowe mountain as the background. The gym was even adequate with real free weight for a guys really work out.

After doing some spring skiing, it was great to come back to the hotel and hang out by/in the outdoor pool. My kids 12 & 8 loved the restaurants in the town and there is a variety of them (not NYC quality but VG). Norma, the restaurant in the hotel was rather expensive but the food was quality food. Service here is definitely A-One. We booked ski lessons and lift tickets at the concierge desk. Rentals were so convenient.

Bottom line, my family enjoyed the stay. When I do return to Mt. Stowe, I will stay at Topnotch again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2010

I cant say enough about the standards of service and quality at this hotel. Topnotch has worked hard to bring service and personal attention to a whole new level at Stowe Vermont. This hotel avoids the traps of High end hotels by bringing a very personal touch and a flavor of Vermont. I was very impressed with the personal touches and the extra effort by the entire staff to make me feel like personal guest. The comfort of the rooms cannot be topped. I couldn't believe how wonderful and comfortable the bed was. It was a great part of the experience. I loved my stay there and look forward to a return trip. I was disappointed though that the Tuna dish at the resturant was missing from my last trip there. however the carrot soup was AMAZING. The whole experience at the hotel saved what would have been a very average week of skiing into a vacation worthy of a return trip. Thank you Topnotch.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Savannah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

Our stay at Topnotch Spa and Resort was a wonderful experience! The staff was the best that I have encountered in a long time. Philip Taylor was so pleasant along with his staff, Glenn, Jordan and Brett.
From the time we walked through the door for check in until we checked out, we were treated like "friends" that frequent the resort on a regular basis. Philip, Brett and Glenn were informative about the area and spent time educating us on the Skiing @ Stowe and the everything we would need to no about the mountain. Jordan was an awesome waiter and kept us entertained through out dinner @ Norma's. I was most impressed with hospitality that we received from the staff when we bumped into some of them out side the resort when they weren't even working. They were just as friendly to us on their down time as they were while working.
The room was beautiful and estate as welcoming. The food was delicious and reasonably priced. I recommend it highly as a couples getaway. Loved it and the staff!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
GretaKipp, Manager at Topnotch Resort, responded to this review, April 2, 2010
Thanks for your great feedback! I'm glad to see others recognizing that our staff are so genuinely hospitable, even when you bump into them in town. I think that exemplifies why Topnotch stands alone in trying to provide that "welcome back friends" experience, even to first time visitors. We're grateful that you chose us and even happier that you'll be a dedicated Topnotch guest in the future. Next time, maybe you can top it all off with a wonderful couples' massage!
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

This is truly one of the best hotels I've ever been to.
From our entrance, I knew it'd be nothing short of perfection with its' great big fireplace and marvelous couches and lobby.

With a warm, caring staff that often strikes up conversations with everyone, Top Notch has a very friendly atmosphere that is perfect for families with children.

The spa/pool was way beyond our expectations.
The outdoor pool & hot tub are something to write home about as soon as you relax in them and have a full view of the mountains to look at.
It was bizarre to sit in a hot tub with snow all around, and to just gaze upon Stowe Mountain.

Norma's, the restaurant on the 2nd floor, was amazing.
It is very nicely decorated, good prices, and a very eclectic menu.
It's a trendy cafe vibe, but the quality is superb.
It was so good, we ended up having lunch there too!
(I suggest the French Toast & Thanksgiving Sandwich!)

Overall, this was an amazing experience, and I can't wait to come back this Spring/Summer!

- Vinny

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

I'm not sure where this hotel gets its reputation. They have had a few famous people stay there and perhaps this is why it is so popular and expensive.

The building is OLD, VERY OLD. It looks more like a cheap motel on the drive up. The lobby, elevator and room had a very strange odor - perhaps mildew. The room could at best be described "cute". However,it was again VERY old. The heating system made LOUD noises and the bed was rock hard. Very difficult to sleep in these circumstances.

The staff was overall welcoming. Unfortunately, after one night in the hotel the general manager informed us that our reservation had been "tampered with" and we would either have to leave the hotel or pay a rate 4X the rate that we were quoted. He was rude and totally indignant. I suspect they had overbooked the hotel and since we had a good low rate were "expendable".

This hotel is definetely NOT what it is cracked up to be. I would say it is a 2.5 star hotel at best. Perhaps the charm of the room would make it 2.75 stars but definetely no more and to call if 4 stars is a joke.

I'd be very cautious if you do decide to book with them. I had a printed copy of my reservation but they refused to honor this. I still don't understand - it's a classic bait and swtch that can best be described as a scam.

Do yourself a favor and book at any of the other beautiful 4-5 start hotels in Stowe. We moved to stoweflake and loved it. Stowe moutnain lodge also looked lovely. Save your money and the hassle and go elsewhere - this property is poor and can't be trusted. WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE IVE EVER HAD!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
GretaKipp, Manager at Topnotch Resort, responded to this review, March 17, 2010
We truly appreciate those guests who chose Topnotch Resort and Spa for their Presidents' Day Weekend ski getaway. It is regretful that this reviewer did not get to enjoy everything that the resort has to offer. Our guests had a wonderful time during this period and I believe further research will confirm that our rates during this period are consistent and fair.

After detailed review, we have concluded that the confirmation letter referred to was altered to reflect inaccurate dates at a rate that was clearly published for non-peak periods.

It is unfortunate that this is not an objective or fair review of this property, its rooms, amenities, and staff. We continue to strive for excellence and based on other reviews, national awards, and internationally recognized rating agencies we feel confident that the Topnotch experience is not accurately portrayed in these comments.

Been to Topnotch Resort? Share your experiences!