“So relaxing and beautiful.” 5 of 5 stars

Topnotch Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   4000 Mountain Road, Stowe, VT 05672   |
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Stowe
Burlington, Vermont
“So relaxing and beautiful.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

This was the third time visiting and each time is better then the time before. The spa space is so clean and friendly. As for the services they are average, nothing over the top. But when added to a full day of lounging by the pool or sitting in the outside jacuzzi it makes it all worth it.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I have mixed feelings about Topnotch resort and spa. The three bedroom condo that we rented was really nice, and the grounds, despite the fact that some pretty major renovations were going on while we were there were nice as well, but all in all I felt it lacked that special feeling that would bring me back. Top Notch bills itself as “an idyllic country retreat,” yet I found it didn’t completely deliver. I suppose my biggest disappointment was my time at the spa. While the massage was truly one of the best I have ever had (her name was Rayln), the serene, peacefulness quickly left as soon as I walked through the door into the pool area, where it was filled with screaming kids ranging from the age of 5 to 11 years old. The noise level was jarring, so any attempt at enjoying the hot tub or pool was destroyed. If I had come to Top Notch with my kids (when they were young) I’m sure I would have a completely different feeling. The women’s locker room was pretty benign. The gym, while it had some decent equipment, was a little smelly as it had wall-to-wall carpet and sort of cheesy photo images on the walls in an attempt to brighten the area, which is housed in the lowest level/basement and has no natural light.

The restaurant, Norma’s, was really fantastic. We began the night with Mary, a true mixologist at the bar. It was as if we were in a speakeasy; we told her what we liked and she created some magic. The food was magnificent. We had the Butterfish, grilled zucchini rolls, shrimp dumplings, and chopped salad. The service was wonderful.

We also went on a horse-drawn carriage ride. I would NOT recommend this as it basically lasted for 15 minutes and went in a large circle, the same path that my husband and I had walked the day before (which I WOULD recommend).

My husband and his friend had a great day skiing, and my friend and I took a yoga class at Oxygen, up the street on Mountain Road.

All in all, I think this is more of a great family spot than a couples getaway.

Room Tip: McCarthy's for breakfast, Norma's ( at the resort ) for dinner, Oxygen on Mountain Road for...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

This is our home away from our second home. You will not find a more beautiful outdoor pool on the east coast. Order drinks for Norma's and have them delivered poolside. Enjoy the spa for extra indulgence. We live you TooNotch and can't wait for the big "reveal!"

• Stayed March 2013
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed there 5 years ago, and always wanted to come back. I read reviews abour constructions, so I was aware about rooms starting with 100; they initially wanted me in one of those, but upon my request, changed my room to the 200-range, s we did not see and did not hear any constructions. Romms were nice and cllean, reastaurant had best burgers I've ever ate, local cheezes, delicious creme brulee, and everything else! Sad for me - I broke my arm first day of snowboarding, but as it was Thursday, we decided noy to go home - and I stayed - in cast- in the hotel, andmy husband was skiing. With all pains and personal uncomfort - I think, the hotel was a great place to be. I got more rest, that I would get at home, where I would try to clean something with my spare hand. SPA was nice and clean ; unfortunately I could not attend Yoga classes - as i planned; they even offer AFTER-SKI STRETCH CLASSES! wATERFALL IN THE spa OFFERS UNIQUE MASSAGE. Sorry for capittals - I am still in the cast and typing with my left hand... I love giving good reviews. This hotel really deserves straight A!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Well, despite the pros at the Topnotch, I had to give this poor rating because of the blatant and inexcusable rate we were charged for a hotel room no better than a 3-star bed & breakfast with a Best Western-style bathroom. To be fair, the pros: very clean establishment; possibly the best staff I have ever had the pleasure of being greeted and served by; out of sight restaurant, Norma's on the property; amazing spa, which definitely lived up to its reputation. But please, people...who would call these rooms "luxurious" or "spacious?" My boyfriend went out of his way to take me somewhere he thought would be luxurious, but instead our "Executive" room was small with a noisy heater, thin walls, basic furnishings, and a bathroom with one sink (!!!!) and barely room to turn around in. The bathroom was literally no better than a Day's Inn (and hey - no offense Best Western and Days Inn, but those rooms cost $98 bucks!), maybe even worse. Here's what I'm talking about: $420 per night for this room. Guess what?! You can stay down the road at the Green Mountain Inn for $160, and with that get a gas fireplace, a soaking tub, and fresh flowers. Every hotel I've ever stayed at for less than $200 was better than this room. Another thought - you can stay at the Key Biscayne Ritz Carlton for $420 right now -- and that is for a 700 sq ft room with fresh flowers, pillows of your choosing, double sink tiled bathroom with a glass shower and separate toilet room, incredibly furnished, and includes breakfast for two!!! Sorry, Topnotch, but you are not the Ritz and even if you're proud to be something else, you missed the mark big time. Our Topnotch room even had a view of the construction going on. Another shocker: not even a lowered price for this inconvenience. And let's take a guess -- the room rates are surely going to go up after the renovations are complete. So anyway, we nicely spoke to the managers upon checking out and gave them big kudos for what we liked. Then we explained why we felt the room was crazy overpriced, and we did receive a $150 credit -- so our $420 room went down to $270. That's still more than I would pay for a room at this resort. They refused to acknowledge that their pricing is ridiculous and totally unreasonable. Where did these people get their comparables from? We are insulted! Beware, those looking for value! Or, if you like to throw your money away, head on over and enjoy the wonderful service and delicious food!

Room Tip: Hope there are better rooms than the one we stayed in - we were on the 3rd floor in the main house.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TopnotchResortandSpa, General Manager at Topnotch Resort, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for the valuable feedback regarding your stay and your feelings concerning our winter rate structure and general impression of our guestrooms.
We have tried to be very respectful during the construction period to price our rooms carefully, reflecting the disruption, and acknowledging both the tremendous demand to be in Stowe during a fantastic skiing season, and the great restaurant, amenities, and service we continue to offer every guest.
I am pleased the staff reacted immediately to your comments and adjusted your room rate in an effort to address your disappointment.
Although the guestroom refurbishment currently underway will unquestionably enhance the guest experience even more in the near future, there will undoubtedly be off-peak periods, rate specials, and exciting packages from which we will encourage future and returning guests to choose to enjoy the best possible values.
Please reach out to my office directly the next time you might be able to slip away to Stowe, and I will gladly work with you to ensure a fantastic stay.
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend with a dew friends. The food was excellent, and our waiter was very nice. The property was beautiful, especially the outdoor pools. Our room was very large, and the beds were comfortable. The service was great, and our stay was very nice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Attention to details. Very accommodating stuff and pretty good food in Norma. I have been there both during summer and winter and had great experience. The hotel is being renovated right now and I expect even more from it when I come back. They also accept pets. Outdoor heated swimming pool and jacuzzi are great. Skiing and skiing is splendid and of cause food in stow is really great for a skiing village.

Room Tip: Mountain views are the best
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Topnotch Resort? Share your experiences!