“My preferred Stowe hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Eagle Resort at Stowe

Expedia.com Orbitz.com
Golden Eagle Resort at Stowe
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   511 Mountain Road (Route 108), PO Box 1090, Stowe, VT 05672   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #6 of 23 hotels in Stowe
Alexandria, VA
“My preferred Stowe hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed at the Golden Eagle for two years running on my annual ski trips to Vermont. Their room rates are more than reasonable and I love the fact that the hotel is a "motor inn", where you don't have to lug your skis and bags through a lobby and down long hallways. It's wonderful to have on-site amenities such as a pool and spa. And the mountain shuttle stops very close by. When I checked out, they offered me a 20% discount for next year so they'd be assured I would stay with them (I usually book through Priceline Name Your Own Price, which means you don't get a choice of hotel). All of the staff here are warm and friendly, which in turn shows how good their management is.

On a personal note, as a Christmas present I was given a stay at a very "fancy" hotel/resort further up Mountain Rd. for my 2013 trip. I found myself missing the Golden Eagle for its down-to-earth atmosphere and location in the middle of the action in Stowe Village. Essentially, the Golden Eagle felt like my home-for-a-week, whereas the other place felt like a hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

613 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
SacramentoCA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I live in California and visit New England every summer with kids to see family. We've stayed in Stowe multiple times because I like to do Ben & Jerry's, have some apple cider donuts and do the Stowe alpine slide with the kids. We've stayed in multiple spots in Stowe/Middlebury, but I like the Golden Eagle best. Here's why...

- The "campus" - I love the open feeling of the property with its athletic and recreational endeavors. Clay tennis courts, outdoor pool, playground, horseshoes, and pond are great for my city kids to enjoy in good weather. The indoor pool, spa, gym and game room take over when it's raining or too dark. I love walking over to the "lobby" (I want to say lodge) and grabbing coffee in the morning, sitting for a spell (some may say escaping) and checking email on their computer.

- The rooms - All the rooms I've stayed in are spacious and feature comforting amenities. Nothing truly fancy, but for the price I see great value. The beds are comfy and I like having a patio to read, keep my eye on the kids and enjoy proximity to the woods in comfort. We showed up once 10 years ago and got an upstairs, in the back (behind the lobby) room. I remember being EXTREMELY tired and the AC wasn't beating the heat. We were staying for only that night and roughed it out. Still, I came back without hesitation.

The restaurant offers basic fare and I found better down the street. But convenience can make it worth it!!! The funny thing was the waitress offered us instructions to get to Burlington's airport (trying to not take the highway) and said it was the same driving time. OK, that is not true. However, it was a beautiful ride so if you can swing it without being in cardiac arrest the whole drive, do it.

I look forward to visiting again in 2013!

Room Tip: I like the ground level rooms alongside the southern entrance that face the pool building.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is the second time we have stayed at the Golden Eagle. We have been in two different types of rooms - the 2 Queen room and the 1 King with a Jaccuzzi bath. The rooms are immaculate. The staff is so friendly and accommodating. We take the room plan with the breakfast. Great breakfast - choice of hot/cold cereal, eggs, pancakes, etc. Delicious and plenty to eat. I am a AAA employee in Northern New Jersey and have sent several families to the Golden Eagle. This will always be our "home base" when we visit our son in Stowe.

Room Tip: If you are a short person, the Jaccuzzi bath is a bit difficult to get into and out of. I'm 5...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Auburn, NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Great location, just off the main street in town, with plenty of restaurants still in walking distance. The resort is older, and motel style, but very well maintained. Our room was immaculate. The check in staff was efficient, helpful, and friendly. We arrived in the pouring rain. Despite this, the employee who checked us in walked us outside to show us what building our room was in, where to park, etc.
Our package had breakfast included in it in the resort's onsite restaurant. The Colonial Cafe was nothing fancy, but the food was pretty good, service was friendly and quick, and the prices on the menu appeared reasonable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I went to Stowe for a couple days to ski this winter and stayed at the Golden Eagle Resort. The rooms offered all the expected basics and were neat and clean. The staff were friendly and helpful. They also offer full breakfast at their own restaurant. There are plenty of amenities (pools, sauna, etc) for winter and summer stays. The hotel is right on the access road to the ski mountain--you can drive, or take the local shuttle. It is within walking distance to the village, and there are plenty of varied restaurant choices along the mountain road. There's a great Irish Pub right across the street with plenty of local beers on tap and some yummy menu choices! I booked my trip though a ski tour operator I know and he uses this place all the time for his clients, so he also thinks it's a great place!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Ridgefield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We travelled up to Stowe from Connecticut for the weekend to help move our son off of campus and in to his first apartment. Originally we had booked for 1 night (Friday), but decided to make the 5 hour drive on Thursday evening instead. The booking was changed without fuss and in fact we were offered a cheaper rate for booking the 2 nights.

The hotel is just outside of the centre of Stowe (10 minute walk), they had our key ready on arrival and we went straight to the room. Very clean, 2 queen beds as requested, flat screen TV enough hangers, good shower, what more could you ask for.

In the morning we discovered that we had a back deck and a view on to the pond, all very nicely mantained. Breakfast during the week (out of season) was an intimate dining room in the main hotel, well stocked cold buffet, breads, cereals etc. On Saturday morning it was in the cafe with a full selection, great service and very nice food.

The pool and fitness facilities were small, but again, very well looked after. They lent my son a fishing pole so as he could have some fun at the pond. All in all a great hotel, we thoroughly enjoyed our saty and will definitley use the Golden Eagle again. Great facilities, well maintained, convenient and all for a good price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Keene, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Spent a fabulous night here this past weekend. We booked the mini suite with fireplace and whirlpool. Room was amazing, huge, super clean and very quiet. The grounds are gorgeous. I wish we were able to use the fireplace, but we will try to come back in the fall. The only thing preventing this from getting 5 stars was the colonial cafe. Not good at all, considering how quality the resort was, I was disappointed.

Room Tip: WE HAD ROOm 245 was a corner unit and VERY quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
nvd_stowe_vt, Owner at Golden Eagle Resort at Stowe, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for your nice comments about your recent stay at the Golden Eagle. We're sorry you didn't get a chance to use the fireplace, but that stretch of a week of cloudless days with temperatures in the 70's were pretty nice! I regret that the Cafe did not meet your expectations. If you would be willing to contact us directly with the specific issues it would be a great help. If you have a chance to read through past comments you will see that our breakfasts are often a highlight of our guests' experience here, so we would sincerely welcome an opportunity to address any issues that may have arisen during your stay.

Neil Van Dyke
President & General Manager

Been to Golden Eagle Resort at Stowe? Share your experiences!