“Quiet, Relaxing, Romantic, Historic just to name a few” 5 of 5 stars

Hartness House
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   30 Orchard Street, Springfield, VT   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Springfield B&B and Inns
Rutland, Vermont, United States
“Quiet, Relaxing, Romantic, Historic just to name a few”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We picked the Hartness House to have our wedding. We could not have asked for a more perfect place. The Staff is so pleasent and Alla was so helpful and easy to work with. The photographs from the wedding are spectacular. Every single one of our family members remarked on how good the food tasted. The Spa is the icing on the cake, definitely the high point of the package. It makes you feel like youre in heaven. The best thing from the trip was the smile on my new wifes face that didnt leave the whole time we were there. History behind the Inn is amazing along with a tour of the underground tunnels and Telescope Rooms. A must visit for anyone looking for peace and quiet or a Romantic getaway. Love Love Love this place!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We came to visit The Hartness House in Feb. We just fell in love with this place. We decided to get married at The Hartness House, July 27th. The staff was very helpful and easy to work with in making our day very special. All of my guest raved about the food and how pleasant everyone was. I look forward to going back for weekend trips. Staff very friendly and welcoming, Rooms very clean and comfortable, it's like being home away from home.

Room Tip: We have stayed in 3 different rooms over the past 4 months, they are all great.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
York, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I loved my stay here! Everything was excellent in every way. The staff was very warm and welcoming and the rooms were beautiful and so clean. When I left a message to make a reservation, the Innkeepers responded quickly and were very pleasant.The food was so good too, especially the morning blueberry muffins!! Also, I had the privilege to meet Max, the Innkeepers black lab who was the first to greet me at the door! Thank you Hartness House! I will be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Paxton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Inn this weekend. I will tell you it was the best getaway weekend we have ever had! The Inn itself was beautiful and the staff was exceptional. I can be pretty picky about things so this is saying A lot. Our room was so romantic and everything was perfect. The food was delicious. The portions were generous and the detail in the presentation was amazing. But the one thing that stood out is Alla who is the owner and probably one of the nicest people I have ever met. Her warm personality and caring ways made us feel like family the minute we arrived. We spent the last nite of our trip in the bar and met Tom the piano player and fell in love instantly what a fantastic entertainer and just the sweetest man ever.
Everything from beginning to end was just wonderful I would highly recommend this place to all my friends and family. We spent the ride home discussing how soon we could get back to The Hartness House in Vermont and do this trip again!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Holden, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Just back from a weekend at the Hartness House. The food was absolutely amazing . . . from the poached eggs with corned beef hash, to the mushroom julienne, to the french onion soup, to the mushroom ravioli, to the filet mignon; each dish was prepared well, presented beautifully, and absolutely delicious!! Our room was as described on the website; this is a Country Inn with all the charm that an Inn offers. The TV was a 25 inch, as described, and certainly adequate to wait for the Zimmerman verdict. We didn't go to Vermont to watch TV, but to get away from it all and spend some time out in the open air of Vermont seeing the sites and enjoying nature. The breakfast certainly held us through lunch and with a small snack we were able to wait for the amazing dinner. The staff was friendly, engaging, and pleasant. Tom, the piano player, was a favorite and played great tunes that we enjoyed thoroughly. We were able to sing along and remember the by-gone days of truly great music.

I am always impressed when the staff have been employed for many years . . . the woman cleaning the rooms has been there for more than 20 years . . . she was friendly, made conversation, and was so very pleasant to talk to. Our waitress, Kelly, was great and has also been there for years; she made our dinners fun and made us feel so welcome. The "Innkeeper", Alla (I think) gave us great tips for things to do in the area and we were so happy we used her suggestions for our activities on Saturday . . . went to Woodstock, saw the Queechee Gorge, and did a bit of antiquing . . . it was perfect.

Great place, great food, great people and a great time! Will definitely go back to Hartness House!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Poughkeepsie, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

This place is like a 1940's movie star. Absolutely gorgeous in it's prime but now it's nothing but old, fat, and run-down! I stayed here at Christmas time and was in the main house. The room was so small I hit myself with the door every time I opened it. The fixtures were either broken or falling off. The radiator didn't work so they put a space heater in the room sitting on top of the radiator - slightly illegal?? Anyhow - I didn't write a review at that point because I thought - maybe it was just a fluke. I was just there last weekend again for Alumni weekend. This time I stayed in one of the motel rooms out back because I didn't plan on being in the room all that much. Holy Cow - from the moment I walked into the building an overwhelming mold and mildew odor enveloped me. I walked into the room and the window was wide open. I closed it and quickly I realized why. It smelled in the room also. The furniture was walmart quality. There was no coffee maker, no ice bucket, one bar of soap and one tube of shampoo in the bathroom - that's it! The shampoo looked as though it had either leaked or was refilled - which judging by the surroundings it wouldn't surprise me if they had refilled the bottle. There was what looked like a make-shift closet in the room. I opened the door - guess what - it was a water heater! No lie! The water heater was in the room itself!! Not even going to talk about the 25" grandpa TV in the room that didn't carry the local stations. Well - I quickly dropped my stuff on the bureau because I didn't dare leave it on the floor, and left for the day. Got back late that night and got into bed. Sheets were very itchy - I was so tired though that I didn't get up to complain and thought - I hope I don't have marks on me in the morning. Fortunately I didn't when I got up in the morning. I went to turn on the water in the shower and black, and green sludge came out of the spout. I let the water run and eventually it cleared out but that was one of the quickest showers ever!

At check out I wasn't asked how my stay was (which they probably already knew) and the lady had an attitude so I thought "probably am not going to win this battle here so why even try.)

This place used to be a prime spot for everything! Not anymore! Other than breakfast at $9.50 per person, there is no food service. You would think that for $119 per night in a crappy smelly room the least they could do is include some type of continental breakfast! Even Super 8 motels have a continental breakfast!! They do have a bar but it's not open late. The condition of the rooms is horrible - most of the place is old, falling apart, smells of mold and mildew. The parking lot is in desperate need of repair. Years ago one could brag about staying at the Hartness House - now when you tell people where you're staying they say "oh - really??" It's really bad. Go to the Common Man Inn in Claremont instead!

Room Tip: Go to the Common Man Inn in Claremont!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

We had such a fantastic time with everyone because we didn't have to concentrate on a bunch of little details. The food was very good, the service was top notch. We'd highly recommend the Hartness House for any event.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hartness House? Share your experiences!