“I would not go back.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Carriage House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Springfield
Carriage House
30 Orchard Street, Springfield, VT 05156   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Springfield B&B and Inns
Bradford, Vermont
“I would not go back.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

I spent $125 for one night in one of their "commercial rooms". The corridor out side my room smelled strongly of cat urine. The room itself was pretty shabby with wallpaper that was missing the top layer (the print) in places. The bathroom had cracked shower tiles. The toilet seat was old and pitted. The wallpaper in the bathroom looked as if it was hung by someone who had never wallpapered before. When I arrived late afternoon, I asked if I could pay cash up front as I was planning on leaving by 6 a.m. the next day. The clerk rolled her eyes and told me no. The soda machine was not operating. When we went to the desk clerk and asked about it, she rolled her eyes and said she would get us a soda. In the hall outside our room, there was a curtain hanging in the corner from a tension rod. The ceiling and walls had extensive water damage. The place was pretty shabby.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

83 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Long Island,NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

we stayed two nights and I found the food quite good.Though the ham was dried out on my breakfast the first morning. I expected more ham steak and got a very thin slice. Also no lunch is available. The dinner menu was good but different from the web page I looked at. Some of the furnishings and rugs need to be replaced. I stoped someone from sitting in a chair because the bottom was hanging out of it. We stayed in the back cheaper rooms. It was ok as far as sleeping etc. I noticed encasements on the mattresses so that was good. No internet though. No food fit for younger children-though they were not with us. Things advertised are during the peak winter season should be available all year. The spa apparently is for couples only. The tunnel it took me three days to get into inspite of asking several times. The apartment there was no guide for so we could not go to that. The telescope we got to though. The town is dead. Most stores are closed as are the factories. The inn is in a residential area. The bushes around the inn should be pulled out and planted on the far side of the property. The room I was in was about 5 feet from a steep drop. The place is for sale and with some imagination be a great place to purchase.

Room Tip: I would go with the cheaper rooms.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Jacksonville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

We had been looking for a place to get married and enjoy while visiting Vt. We happen to run across the Hartness House and had a great time. We invited a few friends for the trip and some were able to make and some were not due to the massive snow storms hitting up north. But when we arrived we went in got to our room and it was very cozy. As a matter of fact the whole House was very cozy. We had a great wedding in front of the fireplace. My worry was with the flowers JP cake and photographer but all were there and ready right on time. The dinner after wards was very good and a lot of fun. The duck was out of this world and everyone else enjoyed what they had ordered. After dinner and changing from my wedding dress we put on some comfy clothes had a few drinks and bottles of champagne in the library and sat up talking for hours. Also Alla and Alex took the time to explain a lot of the pictures and history of the house to us which was a lot of fun to learn about. We look forward to making trips back up there again to enjoy the House with friends and family. Springfield not a huge town but it was perfect and a few good places to eat at. Snowmobiling a must!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

We spent a 2 night ski and stay package with our teenage children. Our rooms were beautiful. The kids skied all day and we went sight seeing. Our breakfast was great. The service was wonderful. We would come again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2010

The first disappointment was the area. I thought that Hartness House would be out in the country with picturesque scenery. It is at the end of a residential street in a rather rundown neighborhood. Springfield Vermont is very very industrial, nothing like I imagined. The second disappointment was not being able to see the observatory, secret tunnel and workshop that is so proudly displayed on the Hartness House website. Why advertise something that would be of such great interest to your guests on your website and then not offer it? The dinner was fine, however the dining room was very cold and I kept my coat on throughout most of dinner. I noticed that the waitress turned up the heat just as the first guests were arriving and it took some time to sufficiently warm up. The place is quite rundown but in all fairness one has to consider the age of the establishment. The staff was very helpful and cheerful and did their best to accommodate us in every way in spite of all above shortcomings. The Charles Lindbergh room was very cozy and I slept like a baby. So overall my review is obviously mixed though I have to say that I would not come back again or recommend it to friends. As I stated before, the biggest draw for me go to Hartness House was the history and not having access to all that great history was disappointing.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

When my wife and I were looking for a place to get married 5+ years ago, it's was by sheer luck that we found the Hartness House. We booked a stay in the main house to familiarize ourselves with their weddings packages. We didn't even have to step foot inside before we knew it was the place for us. And upon spending that first night there, it completely reaffirmed everything we wanted. Outstanding food and accommodating service. We booked our wedding before we left. Our wedding was outstanding. Quaint, quiet, and quite amazing. Just over a dozen people having dinner on the back deck after the nuptials, also on the back deck. It was perfect. We hadn't been able to go back until earlier this month, and we spent the weekend there with one of their packages. They were even better than on our first trips. And they've upgraded to be able to handle large weddings. I'm quite certain they could handle 200 the way they handled 20.
At this last stay, we got to know the proprietor, Alla. She made us feel right at home, offering the history and the ins and outs of this gorgeous estate. The food is exemplary and the setting is unbelievable. We've only stayed in the main house, and twice in the governor's suite.
If you want the feel of a true pure New England B&B, the Hartness House is for you. If you like being a faceless number adding to a Fortune 500's bottom line, stay away. I think many B&B's have some imperfections (as often written on travels sites), but at the Hartness House, they are perfectly imperfect.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Huntsville, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

My wife and I reserved a room at the Hartness House Inn of Springfield Vermont for the evenings of Saturday, October 9 and 10 of 2010. PLEASE NOTE: Carriage House appears to be the same physical address as Hartness House. Apparently, they're doing business under two names. The rate was quoted as $139 per night plus tax. When we arrived, we found the room to be unacceptable. It was dreadfully cold, the paint was peeling off the walls, the carpet was torn, the room had a musty smell, the TV was old and there were only a handful of “junk” cable channels available – no ABC, CBS, NBC, etc. And the sink in the bathroom wasn’t secured to the vanity which, in turn, was not secured to the wall. The whole thing wobbled precariously. It was really bad.

We went to the front desk and complained about the cold. The clerk took us back to the room to show us how to operate the heat. She had no idea how it worked. Finally she found the manager who explained how it worked. Hours later the room was up to about 65 degrees.

It went downhill from there. The following morning I went up front and told the clerk that we’d like to check out. “Fine, she said”. She ran the room receipt and it was just barely less than $300. “This isn’t right”, I said. “You’ve charged us for two nights”. “That’s right” she said. “We can’t cancel the second night because it’s peak season”. “Not even if the room’s lousy – unacceptable”? “That’s right”, she said. I asked to see the manager. The clerk told me she was “busy” and couldn’t possibly be bothered to see me.

So, with the greatest reluctance, we stayed the second night. It was that or lose our money and then go out and try to find a decent place to stay. I must say, I’ve never gotten that kind of treatment at a hotel, and I’ve stayed all over the country. Of course, I won’t go back to Hartness House. But I’ll also stay away from Vermont if they can’t police their inns better than that. It’s not unreasonable to expect a comfortable place to stay if you spend that kind of money. What we received was nowhere close to comfortable or acceptable.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Carriage House? Share your experiences!