“Nothing special” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Windjammer Inn & Conference Center

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Windjammer Inn & Conference Center to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
GreenLeadersBronze level
Maine
“Nothing special”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

My husband and I were in town for a wedding and decided to stay at the Windjammer after our family members had raved about it being a nice hotel. Needless to say we were dissapointed.

PROS: Indoor heated pool and hot tub. Pub on-site has excellent food

CONS: The room we had was so tiny we didn't feel comfortable having guests stop by because we were basically sitting on top of each other. The bathroom was a bit dated and well used. We could hear the people in the room upstairs every time they moved around in bed at night. The breakfast was average and left much to be desired. The free wireless was VERY slow. Overall, I felt it was overpriced for what we got.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Mineola NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

Our overnight trip to Burlington VT was ruined by the staff at this hotel! I was traveling with my fiancé and three friends, we planned this trip just to get away for the night and have a good time. We were in town to see a band play; we were all looking forward to this until we checked into our hotel.

As soon as we arrived, we were relieved to be out of the car after a 6.5 hour drive. When checking into the hotel, the front desk staff was nothing but RUDE! They never welcomed us to the hotel, they did not address us by name, when we asked a question we were ignored - fine, we got over it and all went to our rooms.

After being in our rooms for a short time we figured we would relax by the pool - one of the gentlemen with our group stopped at the front desk to ask for matches - three front desk agents were standing there - NOT ONE LOOKED UP! Again we were ignored.

Shortly there after we figured we would go to Church Street to get something to eat and just walk the town before the concert that evening - my fiancé and I stopped at the front desk to ask for directions - we got them - but it was definitely an inconvenience as the male front desk agent pointed and told us one turn to make. I guess it was going to be a guessing game - and that it was.

Church Street was a great time - we enjoy all of the little shops! After returning to the hotel, we were going to freshen up - stop at the restaurant for a drink and then head over to the Higher Ground which is walking distance from the hotel. Three of the five of us headed down first, when the others were ready they again stopped at the front desk to ask were the restaurant was - again the question was ignored. They asked again and the front desk agent just pointed in the direction in which they had to go.

At this point we were all pretty fed up with the front desk staff. We came to learn that two out of three of them are supervisors at this hotel.

I too work at a hotel and I can guarantee that these actions would never take place. This was completely rude and uncalled for.

Yes - we may look a little different and we may speak a little different but there was no need to be treated the way we were.

Even though the hotel rooms were average, we didn't hear a lot of noise, I would NEVER recommend this hotel to someone else. It's a shame that the Higher Ground is so close to such an awful hotel!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
West Palm Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

The Best Western Windjammer was clean, the staff was courteous, the bed was comfortable, the price was reasonable, my wi-fi worked and I felt safe there as a solo female traveler.

However, I was exhausted when I checked out. Why? I was awakened at 7 am by children screaming in the pool on my first morning and on my 3rd morning, the maid staff knocked relentlessly on my door at 8 am, forcing me to wake up and yell that I was sleeping. Not that I was any longer, thanks!

Additionally, other guests loudly roamed the halls late at night or early in the morning, and there was little sound insulation. I realize I am not staying in a 5 star resort, but the walls there must be paper thin. So, notwithstanding the positive things I said about the hotel above, if I can't get a good night sleep at a hotel, which is usually the primary reason to be at a hotel, I won't return. So in short, I would not stay here again.

Also, the free continental breakfast is pretty disgusting. The place is a madhouse of jostling guests and the quality and assortment of food offered is below average (at best). However, the coffee was good.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Cincinnati
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

We stayed here for one night, and picked it because of its proximity to downtown Burlington. This Best Western provides a good, basic hotel room. It is an older building, but has been well maintained. The room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast here was just average, but it satisfied us.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2008

My husband and I were going into Burlington to see "The Ryan Montbleau Band" at Higher Ground and were looking for a place to spend the night. The hotel was on the Higher Ground web site so we called and got a room at a great rate!! We spoke to friends before we got there who said they loved the place. We were able to check in early, the staff were very friendly and helpful to us. Our room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. The indoor pool was perfect for a cold winter day. The only downside... it was noisy. You could hear people walking in the halls and in the adjacent rooms. That won't stop us from staying there again though! This really was perfect for us.

• Liked — The entire place
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2008

We took two rooms so we could get our friends to the airport early the next day. We had basic rooms, very clean and comfortable beds. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. I had asked to be in the newer part of the hotel and they made sure to give us rooms as requested. It is a decent place to stay and certainly well worth the price we paid. Dinner at the Windjammer restaurant was very good. Four meals and not a single complaint. Nice salad bar, good entree.

• Liked — Clean and good value for the money. Close to airport.
  • Disliked — Continental breakfast could have been better. Oh well.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2008

We stayed October 14th 2008 because of the convenience to the airport & the 24 hour shuttle service. The staff was pleasant & accommodating, but occupants in the room above kept us awake until 2:00 am. The place is definitely lacking sound proofing. Our room was adequate but offered the bare amenities. Towels were unusually rough. Adjoining restaurant was a convenient place to dine & seemed to be quite popular. For the price, this is probably as good as it gets to be close to the airport.

• Liked — convenience to airport
  • Disliked — NOISEY PLACE
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Windjammer Inn & Conference Center? Share your experiences!