“Nice place to stop in Burlington” 4 of 5 stars
Review of MainStay Suites

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in South Burlington
MainStay Suites
You added MainStay Suites to your Saves list
1702 Shelburne Road, South Burlington, VT 05403   |
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in South Burlington
Augusta, Georgia
“Nice place to stop in Burlington”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2006

We spent one night at the MinStay Suites in South Burlington.
It's in a good locationi for a visit to the Shelburne Museum and for a visit to the town of Burlington. It is located in a cluster of hotels on Shelburne Road. The Suite was spacious and the decor was very nice. There was an abundance of TV Channels. We had a full kitchen with a coffee maker and coffee.
The bathroom was very small but clean. The washcloths were very thin and rough and the towels were also thin with the ends coming loose. They were labled from another defunct hotel next door. The only thing offered in the bathroom was shampoo and soap.
The lobby was very attractive with a fireplace that unfortunately was not turned on. It would have enhanced the room tremendously.
There was free Internet service in the lobby and breakfast was served there also. Free newspapers were available in the lobby. Breakfast was yogurt, fresh oranges, orange juice, cold and hot cereal, bagels, donuts and pastries and peeled boiled eggs.
The swimming pool was in another hotel. We had to drive down the road to get there. The pool was adequate but was badly in need of upgrading.
We paid $95.96 for a Sixty Plus Rate. Check in and check out staff were friendly and helpful.

• Liked — I liked the free Internet service.
  • Disliked — The towels and washcloths were poor quality for the price and description of this place.
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2006

the room was very nice (spacious, clean, amenities [kitchen with a real fridge]). everything seemed new and of course clean. it was kind of romantic at the sunset (my room was on the lake champlain side). a huge supermarket (Shaw's) is only a few minutes drive away. my only complaint is the difficulty of finding the building from the street. the building is on the back of another hotel, on a cul-de-sac surrounded by different hotels (including Holiday Inn), and it can be easily missed. i had to check-in at the other building. i'm ok with that, but it should be indicated more clearly on the front door.

• 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2006

Decent place.

I found the staff at the front desk (it really *is* a desk here) were friendly.

The room :
- was quite clean,
-had a balcony with a fantastic view of the lake and mountains
- had a comfortable bed

What I found interesting was that it was fully stocked with cutlery, dishes, pots, stove, microwave, - even salt and pepper. I have stayed in a Residence Inn and a Holiday Inn Express before (both similar style with kitchenettes) and neither of those had *any* dishes or pots or cutlery.
I made my own meal and saved over restaurant food prices.

I stayed here on a Saturday night, yet it was nice and quiet. (due to the fact there are people who live here on a short-term basis such as nurses who often work nights).

Workout room is just 3 machines - no free weights nor mats. There are laundry machines available.

The continental breakfast is quite basic. I have had better at a Choice Hotel before.

The hotel is difficult to find - you have to look for the Holiday Inn Express sign from Route 7 as there is no MainStay sign visible from the road.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed my stay and would certainly go back in the future.

• Stayed September 2006
Pacific NW, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2006

I booked this hotel via their 800 phone number at the last minute due to a transportation cancellation. I specifically asked for a property with interior hallways and a staffed front desk for security reasons. I also asked for a non-smoking room due to my sensitivity to odors. The Choice Hotels operator which handles MainStay Suites promised me all of these things.

When the taxi dropped me off at near midnight, the front door to the hotel was open. No staff person was on duty and the computer check-in in lieu of the absent staff person was broken. Several young men were strolling about the lobby with no luggage or coats or anything to indicate that they were hotel guests coming or going. There was a sign on the inner glass doors, which also were not locked, saying to go to another nearby hotel to check-in. I had far too much luggage to traipse on foot to another property after dark in the rain by myself. At this point I should have gone to another hotel, but I was exhausted.

I used a phone to call that property and a staff person came to check me in, telling me that I had the last room available. I went up to my room and found that is was indeed very large with a full living area, separate bedroom and full bath. All of the windows were open, so I closed them and unpacked. After showering with the only two towels without large brown stains on them, I realized that the windows had been left open to cover the nauseating smell of dog urine mixed with some fragrance of cleaner to cover the smell. It was coming from the living room.

After closing the bedroom door and putting a towel under it to keep the smell out of the bedroom, I tried to sleep. This would have been impossible without my earplugs as outside of this room was a giant and extremely noisy air conditioning unit for heating and cooling the whole complex; it went on and off irregularly.

The staff did not charge me for the room because of their 100% satisfaction guarantee, but they could not make up for the lack of sleep and comfort . In addition, while waiting for my taxi, I learned from a 3-night long guest whose company had booked her stay, that these hotels have many people who are not business types or tourists. Long-term renters live there and just hang out in all of the public areas, hogging the free internet, doing endless loads of laundry in the shared area, and inviting friends to work out in the little exercise room or watch the guest area TV. I observed all of the things she complained about. This is not what I want in a "hotel."

AVOID THIS PROPERTY and most likely the other MainStay Suites.

• Tips/Secrets — Avoid this property and most likely other MainStay Suites.
  • Stayed September 2006
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2006

We were pleasantly surprised by our efficiency room with a nice view of the lake (4th floor - all non-smoking floor). Very clean and the breakfast was most adequate. We had windows that open. The only complaint was with some other guests who were celebrating in the parking lot at 3 AM. The rooms were quite soundproof. Like mentioned by other reviewers, it is located behind the Holiday Inn Express and therefore not very visible from the street on which it is located. It also has no roadside sign. An enjoyable experience overall.

• Liked — Home away from home type of hotel
Boston Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2006

Family of 4 stayed at Mainstay Suites for 3 nights and were very pleased. Two teen boys slept on the fold-out bed and were comfortable. Our room wasn't as big as some other rooms we saw but it was plenty big enough. Huge bathroom with great shower. Small but OK kitchen area with fridge and microwave. Some other rooms had a dining table, ours did not. Balcony looking out over parking lot with view of lake. Ethernet Internet connection. Laundry machines.

Free breakfast was served for 3 hours - french toast/waffles you put in toaster, yogurt, cereal, juice, etc. 24-hour coffee in lobby. Desk was staffed except late evening/night. Restaurants nearby (drive) including Olive Garden that we loved. Easy drive into Burlington. Right off Rt 7 but no noise problem. Only issues: bathroom door not hinged properly so it was hard to close; closet needed WD-40 for squeaks; not sure where pool was.

• Liked — Internet access in room and free in lobby; free bkfst
  • Tips/Secrets — Eat at Olive Garden
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2006

This was the first time we had ever stayed in a Main Stay Suites. It was very nice, with a large living room/kitchenette and bedroom. This particular location is new and very clean.

The only issue I had was the checkin/checkout process as they do not have a staffed front desk. Their staff is at another hotel across the parking lot and checkin was inconvenient. At first I assumed management was saving money on staffing, but at this other hotel they had 3 checkin clerks and 2 office personnel behind the counter.

To summarize, it is a great clean hotel, but the bad checkin process leaves you with a bad initial impression.

Stayed June 2006

Been to MainStay Suites? Share your experiences!