“Delicious food, casual ambience” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Bistro
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Boston, Massachusetts
“Delicious food, casual ambience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

It is nice having friends in the towns you visit so they can take you to the good places that don't make it into the guidebooks!

What I like about Vermont cuisine is the emphasis on locally grown ingredients and the Wooden Spoon Bistro is one of the many small places in Burlington featuring just that. I love cooking that focuses on the flavor of the ingredients and that uses herbs and spices to enhance the natural goodness, not hide it with fiery spice. That is what I enjoyed about The Wooden Spoon Bistro, I could taste what I was eating. Please don't ask me what we ate that night because I don't remember the details. I know we split some appetizers and I know that I had a simple steak done to perfection. Someone had the beef short rib special and just raved about it. The desserts were fabulous.

I do have one bad thing to say about the place. It was difficult to find even with our GPS because the sign for the place is very poorly designed, especially considering that there are multiple places listed on the signboard along the street. We actually had to call the place and ask how and where to find them. Turns out we had driven down the driveway right past it. Next time, it won't be a problem; we know where to go.

• Visited November 2011