“Best bed in Vermont” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Burlington

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Burlington to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Burlington
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1117 Williston Road, I-89 & US 2, Exit 14E, South Burlington, VT 05403-5717   |
Hotel deals
Special Deal
Stay and Ski Package
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in South Burlington
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Best bed in Vermont”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We recently stayed for one night at this hotel and upon arrival received a very warm welcome and two extremely yummy cookies.
We were a bit apprehensive after being given the keys to a room just off reception as we thought it might be a bit noisy, but we did not have any problems at all. To be honest the beds were so comfy we both slept very soundly.
There are a choice of restaurants nearby but you might be hard pressed to finding better than right next door at Trader Jukes. Very good service and good hearty fare.
If visiting do not miss one of the shops opposite the hotel selling very good cheese and wines, the variety of both is extremely excellent at very reasonable prices.
All in all a very good hotel for our needs and one we would certainly recommend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Jen B, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Burlington, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel - it sounds like you had a wonderful time while visiting Burlington! We appreciate the kind words that you had to say about our hotel and restaurant. It sounds like despite being assigned to a room near the lobby you had no problems with noise or comfort - in fact you mention how comfortable our Sweet Dreams beds are and we're very glad to hear that! Trader Duke's certainly does serve up delicious, hearty fare and I'm happy that you had the opportunity to dine there while you were here - I'll be sure to pass along your kudos to the chef. Cheese and Wine Traders - located just a few minutes down the road from our hotel - is the best! We're always suggesting that our guests check their store out for the best prices on cheese and wine and of course, local products! I hope you were able to stock up on some before departing town. If you are back in the Burlington area we hope that you will choose to be our guest once again - we'll have those yummy DoubleTree cookies awaiting your arrival!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Cleveland, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This was our first trip to Burlington, my children and I were looking at a nearby college. We were quite excited to see the area and looking forward to time along Lake Champlain. The location of this hotel is perfect! We were just off of the main highways, an easy 5 minute drive into downtown Burlington, and near local shopping and some basic fast food. Trader Duke's, the restaurant attached to the hotel, offers excellent food and very reasonable prices. The Sunday brunch was wonderful! Overall, the hotel is pretty basic, not awful, but we've certainly stayed in much better, especially Hilton brands. Had we not been using Hilton Honors points, I don't really think the hotel is worth the overall price when compared to similar properties. The rooms are rather small, dated and not overly comfortable for a familly. The beds were not very big or comfortable...mine noticeably curved into the center! Had to call daily for enough towels...we stated 4 people in the room but were always left with enough for maybe 3! The staff was friendly and courteous. Our room was on the lower level, overlooking a courtyard with HVAC units....somewhat dark with very little natural light coming in and also noisy with the window open. Probably will find another location for our next visit, but it really wasn't all that horrible!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jen B, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Burlington, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel - I hope that you and the family enjoyed your time in Burlington and your college search! I appreciate your kind comments on the location of the hotel and our restaurant Trader Duke's. We have a very convenient location to the Burlington International Airport, Downtown Burlington, and all local colleges, including University of Vermont, Champlain College, and Saint Michael's College. Trader Duke's is known for their Sunday brunch and I'm very happy that you had the opportunity to enjoy it while you were here! I understand that our rooms can be a little tight for a full family. Despite the size of the rooms, we are always looking for ways to spruce things up and to increase our guests' satisfaction, most recently updating our televisions to flat screen TVs and changing over the bedding. Bathrooms have also been remodeled within the last two years. I'm very sorry that despite being a family of four that you still had to ask for additional towels during your stay. There is a standard number of towels put into each of our guest rooms and I'm sorry that you had to be bothered with asking while you were our guest. I understand you may want to explore other hotels should your son/daughter choose to attend college in Burlington, but I did want to let you know that we do offer discounted rates for all three major schools in the area - UVM, Champlain, and SMC - for those coming to visit a student at one of these colleges. Maybe next time one of our two-room suites would be more suitable for a family of 4 and we'd love the opportunity to have you as our guest again should you be back in the Burlington area!
Gatineau, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I mostly agree with all of the other reviewers of this property. It is old and spread out and the internet is slow to non-existent but the staff more than make-up for these shortcomings. Breakfast isn't cheap but it's good and you get a lot for your $10 with outstanding service.
Sarah at the front desk goes above and beyond the call of duty to help out.
The King suites are a nice size but the King rooms are very small and the vanity/bathroom area is cramped as stated by another reviewer. You get no internet in the bedroom of the suites.

Room Tip: Take a king suite on top floor it is worth the little extra and you won't risk having kids jumpi...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and feedback of your recent stay at our hotel - I hope that you enjoyed your time spent in Burlington! I do agree with you and other reviewers that our hotel is certainly a more mature property - we have been successfully functioning as a hotel since the 1960's. Despite the fact that the building itself may be more mature, we are always looking for ways to spruce things up for our guests, including the addition of new carpeting and wallpaper in hallways, upgraded flat screen televisions and bedding in all guest rooms, the remodel of bathrooms and addition of our suite wing, among many other smaller changes and more updates to come in the future (we'll be adding a new Grab N' Go area in the lobby within the next year). You did mention our wi-fi connection and I wanted to let you know that in late July we finally received our internet upgrade. This has made speeds 20x faster than they once were and we have received very few if any complaints about our wi-fi speeds since! This makes us very happy as does it please our guests. Sarah, our front desk manager, is a gem and I will be certain to pass along your kind words to her. We encourage all of our employees to go above and beyond for our guests and I'm so very happy that you have experienced that while you were here. We look forward to having you as our guest again in the future!
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Small rooms, too much furniture, postage stamp sized bathroom, one open plug behind the desk. I had to pull the desk out to get to it. Half empty shampoo bottle laying on the bathroom floor next to the broken spring door stop (makes you wonder about the cleanliness). Booked for two days checked out after one. Talked to the desk clerk who could care less and showed it. Avoid this place at all costs. I think it started life as a Howard Johnson's or a Red Roof. Not up to Hilton Standards unless they have changed.

Room Tip: Try the Holiday Inn, Sheraton or Comfort Inn all with in 1.4 mile
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time out to give us your feedback regarding your recent stay - I do hope that you had a chance to enjoy Burlington a little while you were here on business! I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while you were our guest. Our bathrooms do tend to be on the smaller side, but we are unfortunately at the mercy of our original footprint and to expand the bathrooms or guest rooms would mean a complete remodel of the hotel. You mentioned there only being 1 plug behind the work desk, but did you happen to see the plugs on the desk lamp? In addition to the 1 behind the desk, there are two more built right into the lamp on the desk. I am truly sorry about the half-used bottle of shampoo you found in the bathroom as well as the broken door stop. Both of those items have been brought to the attention of my housekeeping and engineering departments so that we may correct those issues. I'm very disappointed to hear that the desk clerk you spoke to acted like they "could care less" about the inconveniences you experienced and that you chose to check-out a day early. That is most certainly not the way that we want our staff to be as we are here for the guest and to help make their stay comfortable and enjoyable. As Guest Services Manager, I will be addressing this problem personally. Lastly, you mentioned Hilton Standards and I did want to let you know that we have been ranked in the top 20 of all DoubleTree hotels for the last two years - current ranked as the number 9 hotel in the family - based on our guest satisfaction scores and adherence to brand standards. I'm very sorry that you were disappointed with your stay, but do thank you for your feedback - we would not be able to improve our service without hearing from our guests!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I was very impressed with the upgrade to the hotel's rooms, as I had not stayed there since it was the Ramada. It was an easy cab ride to downtown. There was a refrigerator in our room which was a nice surprise!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time out to review your recent stay at our hotel. I do hope that you had a fantastic time while visiting Burlington! I'm so happy to hear that you not only recognized but enjoyed all of the upgrades/renovations we have made to our hotel over the years. A lot has certainly changed since we were a Ramada! We added on the suites section and have made many upgrades including furniture, carpeting, and in-room items like bedding, TVs, etc. It is true that all of our guest rooms have a refrigerator in them - the standard rooms have a mini-fridge and our suites have a full-size refrigerator; this is certainly an amenity that a lot of guests enjoy and appreciate alike! I hope that you had the opportunity to utilize some of our on-site amenities while you were here - our indoor pool, hot tub, and/or 24-hour fitness center, our complimentary wi-fi service or business center, or maybe you even had a chance to try our restaurant, Trader Duke's. It's true that our location is very convenient to downtown Burlington - only 1.5 miles to Church Street and a very quick and easy cab ride. I hope that if you have the chance to visit Burlington again that we will be your choice for lodging. Thank you for choosing the DoubleTree!
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

It was the middle of the week, but for some reason we had difficulty booking at a more reasonably priced hotel. We thought that, since we were paying more, we would get a nicer room. False. I felt claustrophobic in this room where there was no room to move. You walk right into the sink area (ie: no real entrance to the room) and the bath area is tiny, too. The hotel did not accept AAA or give a senior's rate. There is no break for breakfast either, in the restaurant which is attached to the hotel. At 1st, they tried to give us a room on the ground floor, where the headlights of cars shine directly into the room. Luckily I had just walked by those rooms to get to the entrance, so I had seen this risk and asked for a room on the 2nd floor. They were at least kind enough to grant this request. The room was clean, but he air conditioner is positioned in such a way as to blow directly in your face when you are in bed. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's not on the ground floor where the headlights shine right into the room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. You and I have had the opportunity to follow-up directly after your stay and we certainly do appreciate the feedback. We were able to grant the AAA rate which did reduce your room rate. Burlington is a very busy city in the summer and unfortunately that does lead to higher rates. This is true of all hotels and not just the DoubleTree by Hilton. I am glad that we were able to offer you the AAA discount as this is certainly a discount that should always be available! Although we do not offer complimentary breakfast, our restaurant Trader Duke's does serve breakfast daily and a delicious one at that! I'm glad that we were able to accommodate your request for a room on the second floor. It was my pleasure following-up with you after your recent stay!
Enfield, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

The DoubleTree has some positive points, but overall it smells musty and feels dingy. The cleaning staff works hard, and it's not their fault – it's more that the hotel may need to replace the carpet, clean the air vents, put the air conditioner on more in the halls – or do all of these things to improve the air quality.

Basically, the DoubleTree has the quality of a large motel, with some upgrades. Yet the rate was fairly high, considering what they offer. After checking in, I realized that the Burlington area is really expensive, so whereas I could have gotten a much nicer hotel for the same rate in most areas, a nicer hotel would cost much more in Burlington.

In the future, I would try to stay in a nearby town, and make day trips to Burlington, to get a nicer hotel room for a lower rate.

If you can afford it, go somewhere better. If you're looking for a midrange hotel, try somewhere else. If you don't really care about the smell and appearance of a hotel, and want great service and a convenient location close to downtown Burlington, than you'd probably like this hotel.

The bathroom looked nice, but it was tiny. The sink is outside of the bathroom in a place where you can't turn on the light without waking up anyone who is still sleeping. I wanted to let my husband sleep late, but I couldn't get ready in the dark, so that's not a good design.

On the positive side, the staff was friendly and ready to help, the on-site restaurant has decent food at reasonable prices, and the hotel is located close to downtown Burlington.

One unexpected bonus was the water quality – it made my hair look and feel beautiful! That might seem like a strange thing to get excited about, but I come from an area with hard water, and it's amazing the difference great water can make to your skin and hair. That was one of the best parts of the hotel. After taking a shower there, my hair looked better than if I had just left a salon in my home town.

We ate at the restaurant, Trader Duke's, twice, and it was good, ordinary food. If Burlington didn't have so many great restaurants, we would have eaten at the hotel more often. The best part about Trader Duke's was the prices – they were quite reasonable for the area, and all of the food was decent quality. The service was good, and overall Trader Duke's is a great value for your money.

On our last night, we walked across the street to the Windjammer Restaurant, and the food there was delicious, with an amazing salad bar – but very expensive. My advice is to eat at Trader Duke's most of the time if you're on a budget, but try the Windjammer once for a special treat, and also make sure you try some of the more exotic food options in downtown Burlington.

The hotel is right next door to the Gift Barn, which is a great place to buy gifts. At first I thought that the Gift Barn was expensive, but after shopping around, I again realized that it's the area – the Gift Barn's prices were actually a little better than other stores we found. We bought most of our gifts there.

My biggest recommendation for the hotel is to get rid of that musty smell in some of the halls. It's unpleasant, and awful for people with allergies. Once we got to the room, I kept the window open most of the time, so we were ok in the room, but some of those halls smell bad.

My biggest praise for the hotel is that they have a great staff, a nice restaurant, and a convenient location.

However, I'm giving the hotel a lower rating because fresh air is very important to me, and the bathroom was just too small and cramped. Overall, it's not worth the rate they charge, even considering the cost of everything in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Jen B, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Burlington, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you very much for the review of your recent stay at our hotel - I hope that you enjoyed your time spent in Burlington! I appreciate the kind comments you made regarding the service and friendliness of our staff - we certainly do strive to provide the warmest and most caring service to all of our guests and I'm very glad to hear that you experienced that while you were here! I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed your meals in Trader Duke's Restaurant and Lounge. It's quite convenient to have such a delicious restaurant right at our hotel and that's great that you took the opportunity to dine there when you were here. I do appreciate your comments and concerns about the "musty" smell around the hotel and am happy that you pointed that observation out. We are always striving to increase our guests' satisfaction with their stay and our hotel and we would not be able to remedy issues without our guests' feedback! Currently we have been cleaning out our HVAC units and air filters to increase efficiency and cleanliness and we have also spent some time deep cleaning carpets. Believe it or not, the carpeting in the hallways is less than a year old and we are still working on replacing carpeting once business slows down a little bit. Once again, we thank you for your review and comments and I hope that you will have the chance to visit Burlington again in the future!

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Burlington? Share your experiences!