“Perfect for families” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in South Burlington
Boston, Massachusetts
“Perfect for families”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

Now that I've noted that this "suites" type hotel is perfect for families (that is, parents with kids), I will offer that my husband and I stayed two nights here and we were without children. Still, whether with a brood or not, the suite arrangement offers a spacious place to stay. The rooms are really two rooms, as you might expect, with a living/dining/kitchen room where there's a couch that can be pulled out as a bed, and a bedroom that you can close off. Access to the bathroom, which has two doors, is through either room. The kitchen would be a pleasure to use--fully equipped, with a table and chairs. Frankly, the main use of the kitchen for most guests seems to be the freezer, where people stash their Ben and Jerry's ice cream before devouring it. (Honestly!)
The location is at the quiet end of a strip and is a short, easy drive from the center of Burlington, where the restaurants and university are the main attractions. Perhaps the most subtle point I can make about Green Mountain is that it's tastefully decorated--from the lobby to the halls to the rooms. The lobby has a rustic, ski-lodge appearance, with a large stone fireplace and hickory-framed furniture. Even the artwork is above average for this sort of place--mainly photographs from the region.
The staff is terrific. When we arrived and got settled in our room, we found that a light bulb was out, and so I called the front desk. Within minutes, someone came to change the bulb. Then the person at the front desk called to make sure everything was fine. Through our entire stay, the staff was outstanding.
Finally, the price includes a breakfast, which we enjoyed. It's buffet-style, but with staff attending. There were two types of freshly cooked eggs, including eggs with feta and spinach, waffles with REAL maple syrup (amazing!), along with bread, cereal and fruit.
We didn't use the pool, but it was clean and pleasant. There also was an exercise room.
All in all, we thought the Green Mountain Suites offered a lot and would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Corridors are double-loaded and long. We were in 314, which was at the end of the hall. Noise didn...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Green Mountain Suites for the better part of a week. I would recommend it with confidence, although it wasn't exactly what or where I thought it would be. (That's entirely my fault; my online research was faulty.)

I had been looking for a place that had mountain views and was either self-contained or in a business district that would allow us to walk to restaurants and activities. GMS is neither. I thought it would be more resort-like, but it's really a hotel in the suites hotel mold. That is, it has spacious suites, includes breakfast, and has a fitness room and a pool, but nothing else in the way of activities on-site except for a free dinner Monday-Thursday which we never took advantage of. It's located off a 4 lane road in an area that is mostly residential and strip malls, so nothing was really walkable. Despite its being near a busy road, we didn't have any problem with street noise at all.

Having said that, though, it was very nice for what it was. Our suite on the 3rd floor was spacious and comfortable. There was sufficient drawer and closet space. The bed was a little soft for us but still very good. Neither of us is a fan of feather pillows, so we ended up supplementing them with the decorative ones that were on the bed. Wifi was easily accessible and completely reliable. There were lots of outlets for our various machines. We were happy to have a fridge and a microwave as well as some plates and utensils so that we could enjoy the leftovers we kept bringing back. :-) The bathroom was a nice size and had an extra shelf below the sink, which I appreciated. The windows opened! I'm always happy when I can open a window, although our room overlooked a courtyard outside the dining area/lounge, and music was playing 24/7 for the first few days. When we requested that it be turned off at night, though, the staff was perfectly accommodating.

Breakfast was uninspiring-no actual cooking goes on in the kitchen, to my knowledge. Everything is reheated. After trying the eggs the first morning, I stuck to tea, toast, and fruit. But the buffet staff could not have been friendlier or more welcoming. There was plenty of room to sit down even when the buffet was busy.

We used the fitness room, which has one bicycle, 2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, and a weight machine. It was a little small but it served our purposes well. We didn't use the pool (which has a hot tub in the room) but it got rave reviews when I asked people how it was. :-)

We found the front desk staff to be very informative, helpful, and efficient. We had lots of questions for them throughout our stay and they were able to give us all the help we needed. They made restaurant recommendations that were solid and provided us with discount passes for both restaurants and attractions.

GMS is about an 8 minute drive from Burlington itself. We never had a problem getting back and forth.

Overall, I would recommend GMS highly. It was a good value for the price we paid, convenient to what we wanted to visit, quiet, and comfortable. I wish the hotel had provided recycle receptacles, but not many do.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the courtyard, which was quiet and allowed us to have our windows open at night.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012 via mobile

Super friendly. Great room. Choose garden view. We had room 107. Good pricing. We'll be back.

• Stayed May 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012 via mobile

Absolutely wonderful! Staff is great, rooms are = to a NYC apartment! Just outstanding! Good job GMS!

• Stayed June 2012
Clearwater, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I thought the hotel and its amenities were good. However, my rental car was damaged in the motel parking lot and staff were only moderately helpful in trying to resolve the situation, They did obtain an accident report and faxed it in for me. However, they promised to follow up and obtain an accident report number for my insurance. When I asked them about it later, different staff were unhelpful. Staff just handed me back the original report that I completed, and told me to call the police on my own. I had to leave for home without getting the issue resolved.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

We recently stayed for the first time at the Green Mountain Suites in South Burlington, VT and it was a wonderful experience. The suite we stayed in was very clean, and spacious and the beds OH so comfortable. Breakfast was yummy and they had a nice selection. Front Desk personnel were friendly and professional. We would definitely stay here again!

Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

We are a family of six... Green Mountain Suites were able to accommodate us with ease.

Upon arrival, we were greeted with smiles and promptly given our hotel room. We located the luggage trolleys and loaded up our room. We had a 1-bdr suite with 2 double beds and a pull-out couch. Everything was clean, in place and easy to use.

The pool was a huge hit for the kids! The pool was open from 6AM to 10PM... There is a smell of chlorine (pool smell) in the hallways and lobby... To be expected with an indoor pool.

Breakfast was delicious with the normal offerings (scrambled eggs, sausages, waffle pieces, oatmeal, yogurt, muffins, toast and fruit.

A bonus is a complimentary coffee/tea bar available to guests. A hot cup of coffee whenever you feel like it. A nice touch.

The location is great, but you will need a car to get around town.

We will return.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Green Mountain Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!