“Nothing to rave about!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Burlington South

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Burlington South to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Burlington South
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1720 Shelburne Road, South Burlington, VT 05403   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 14 hotels in South Burlington
“Nothing to rave about!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Spent 3 nights there going to a Street Rod Show easy access to highway was a good choice.When checking in staff was pleasant and helpful.Breakfast was fair to poor no pancakes Sat. or Sun.Sunday was a rainy day one young girl working her tail off to keep refilling everything coffee was hard for her to keep up as there were all adults in breakfast room.Eggs had no flavor due to having so much water in them.Also would be great if a refrigerator was in the room.No maid service on Sun. Came back after being gone all day to a undone room at 7:00.Called desk had towels brought up etc rather quickly.Room was not the cleanses rails by the closet needed to be scrubbed also looked for ice bucket found it under the night table with tray that was not useable due to being so dirty.Will look elsewhere next year!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
StacyGermond, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Burlington South, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear MrsAbb,

I apologize that your recent visit with us fell below your expectations. I will share your comments with our staff as we take all reviews into consideration as we strive for perfection.

255 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Farmington, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

This hotel was adequate for a one night stop on a 7 day road trip. We were greeted pleasantly when we checked in, but our room was on the 5th floor. To get to the room from the front desk you either have to take 2 elevators, take the stairs (which I always do except when I'm lugging luggage) or drive to the back parking lot and enter through the back door. This isn't really a big deal, but we already had all our stuff out of the car. The hotel is built into a hill so I guess this is why only one elevator goes to the 5th floor and you can only pick up this elevator from the 2nd floor. This was also inconvenient when going to breakfast, but I just took the stairs. Breakfast was just OK, but I guess I shouldn't expect gourmet. The staff (2 women) was standing around the juice machine, oblivious to any guests-I think they may have been training? There were 18 wheelers in the back parking lot and the engines were cycling on and off all night. We had the window open because we couldn't get the heat below 73-to be fair, we didn't let management know about the heat issue and this could have been part of our sleep troubles. The worst part, was that the bed wasn't very comfortable. It was a nice big king, but it slanted toward the middle and during the night the sheet came off my husbands side. I didn't notice if there was a mattress pad underneath. I would go there again if I thought I could get a decent nights sleep.... the price is certainly better than hotels near Church Street in Burlington.

Room Tip: Stay off the 5th floor-though we were told it's the quietest floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear skiqueen10,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I apologize that your experience fell below your expectations. We definately hope you will give us a chance to make it up to you on your next visit to the Burlington area.

Huntsville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Easy access to highway made this hotel a good choice for one night on our road trip. The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. Room comfortable and clean. Caught a cab to Church St. where there are lots of outdoor patios and restaurants. Walked down the steep hill to the lake front. Lovely park area. Called a cab from there so didn't have to walk back up! Nice pub and restaurant with outdoor patio next to the Holiday Inn Express. As always, enjoyed the ease of a free breakfast in our hotel before we headed on our way.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
StacyGermond, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Burlington South, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Sue C,

We are happy to hear that you were able to get out and enjoy Burlington. It is such a great city. We appreciate your kind words and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Extremely helpful staff. Also a short cab ride to happening church street. The room was very comfortable. A nice pub next door was a pleasant surprise. The location was good too and easy to find from the highway. This was a nice start to our road trip. We pre booked this through expedia.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear kwbass,

Thanks for acknowleding our wonderful staff. We appreciate the comments and hope to see you on your next visit to the Burlington area.

Regards,

Howell, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Overall stay was excellent, the staff was professional, pleasant and courteous. Checked in at 10 pm and needed a refrigerator in the room which was brought in within the next 15-20 minutes and all setup. Appreciate the staff accomodating my impromptu last minute request. Breakfast was excellent,although the pancake machine wasnt working the first day, noticed the technician come in to fix it as I was winding up breakfast and the machine was working the next morning. Staff took the time to orient me about the area and gave us suggestions on places to visit. Would highly recommend this place to others visiting the area. Great service.

Suggestion: Had to drive around a couple of times before I eventually found the hotel at night due to the fact that there are a couple of other hotels on the same block, would suggest better board signage at the entrance closer to the road leading up to the main entrance.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
StacyGermond, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Burlington South, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear A M,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express South Burlington. The staff and I appreciate your kind words and are happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Estes Park, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I kick myself for not reading these reviews before booking this hotel. I agree with much that has previously been written.

The front desk staff was wonderful - - friendly, efficient, knowledgeable. And . . . they gave me chocolate-covered pretzels!

Although everything is outdated and the hallway and elevator were a little grungy, the lobby and my room were clean. The bed was comfortable, the air worked well, the bathroom was stocked with a nice selection of toiletries, and it was quiet.

My biggest complaint was not technically the fault of the hotel. When I checked in and parked my vehicle, I noticed a delivery truck for a fresh seafood company in the parking lot. I was two or three rows away from the truck but it reeked of old, rancid seafood. When I checked out and left at 5:00 the next morning, the stench was overpowering and just plain nasty.

Overall the room met all my needs but it fell far below HIE standards and was priced higher than any similar hotel I've stayed in recently. I would most likely not stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear mrssimptom,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Happy to hear your appreciation of our staff. I apologize for the odorous truck in the parking lot and that your stay fell below your expectations.

Kindest Regards,

ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

It's too bad this was our last night's stay at a hotel on our road trip. This was the third HI that we had stayed at in 10 days and the condition of the establishment needs updating. When we arrived we were greeted by an overflowing garbage can at the front entrance - not the best first impression. The elevators were slow and when we did get to our room it was clearly in need of help. It looked like a snapshot out of the 80s, and since we had already stayed at two other HI's - in in VT as well, and the other in NH, we were surprised at the inconsistent state of condition of the furniture.

The AC fan also kept us up all night which made us miss breakfast so we had to plead to get something to bring up to our room as the breakfast room attendant was cleaning up after the morning service. However, the room was spacious with a couch and coffee table, and the toilet and shower were separate from the sink area.

Doubt we will ever stay here again.

Luckily this place is close enough to other conveniences which didn't totally negate our one night stay so that we do think we'll visit Burlington again for a weekend getaway, just not at this HI...too bad since I'm an IHG Gold Member.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
StacyGermond, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Burlington South, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear tmr7,

I apologize that your recent stay with us fell short of your expectations. We use all guest comments as we move forward and strive for perfection. Thank you for the feedback and I hope you will consider staying with us on your next trip to Burlington, VT.

Regards,

Stacy G.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Burlington South? Share your experiences!