My husband and I stayed here for marathon weekend. It was a weekend where many properties were booked, and I imagine prices were higher than usual. We were glad to find the very inexpensive North Star Motel, and I will start my review by saying that given the same exact set of circumstances, I'd take a deep breath and stay there again. However, next time I go to VT I'll make reservations earlier to avoid it! Our friends were at Motel 6, which they were much happier with, for about the same price (we were too late to get a reservation there).
The best way I can describe the problem is inconsistency.
1. There was NOT internet access when we stayed. We were able to pick up nearby signals for a few minutes at a time, but that's it (not a criticism of North Star, since they don't advertise that, but a clarification of the last review).
2. Our first batch of towels was dingy and had hairs stuck in them. I asked for "extras," and they were perfectly clean. All were of the type you might get at the gym- small and rough. Would've been ok, had I not been grossed out by the 1st set.
3. The place smelled very strongly of bleach when we arrived and after housekeeping the next day, which was slightly unpleasant, but mostly reassuring.
4. The carpet was small-pile, industrial type, and had a worn/burned spot. The chairs were ripped.
5. The mattresses on our beds were very comfortable and seemed new, but a peek into other rooms revealed this was not the case in all rooms.
This place, with a little more care and replacement of worn out things, could be an interesting place with a retro feel. It seems like maybe the owner is on her way to that. At the present time, it still felt just old and worn.