“A Great Place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of North Star Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shelburne
North Star Motel
2427 Shelburne Road, Shelburne, VT 05482   |
connecticut
“A Great Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

I am currently staying at the North Star Motel and I highly recommend this motel to all travelers. It is very cozy and clean. The staff is very friendly and hospitable. And definitely fits into all budgets. Come and see for yourself. Dont pass this motel. Definitely stop in.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

31 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

we were passing through the area and stopped in to inquire about the rates and the area. the staff was very polite and friendly. the rooms were neat and very clean. i would highly recommend this small, quaint place.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Burlington, Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

October 2, 2011 7:30PM: Very rude, not helpful at all! $38.99 rate is only for SMOKING ROOMS! All other rooms are $69.99 and $79.99 on weekends! MOLD IN THE AIR CONDITIONER! ROOM STAGNANT (NO AIR FLOW) AND SMELLS MUSTY! AIR CONDITIONER FILTER DISGUSTING! Breakfast basic bare essentials and doesn't look fresh. The only plus was free internet which most places include and location close (within 10-15 minute) to Burlington. Other places to checkout: Belair Motel (Nicest motel in Burlington in my opinion - Robyn a very nice woman - $79.99/night) and IN Burlington, and the Burlington Hostel ($35/night per person on weeknights and $40/night per person on weekends).

Room Tip: Have them clean the AC so you aren't breathing in the disgusting filter! Note: Air flow is vir...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Burlington, Vermont
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

I stayed at this place first in a basement room for the ungodly price of $69. No air, closet door wouldnt shut, medicine cabinet doors wouldnt open or close, they ran out of toilet paper and I had to buy my own. Then I was moved into a smoking room with a very small kitchentte for the price of $38. The blinds on the window were in shambles ams many of the missing, the funiture was dilapidated, a drawer was com pletely missing out of the dresser and the smoke alarm was removed from the wall. For the three days I was in this room I heard nothing but doors slamming and noisy guests. After I left I was accused of not returning the room key when in fact on the day of departure @ 9:38 a.m. I was walking to the front desk and housekeeping said give it to her and she would turn it in. Oh and this continentail breakfast..yeah okay..it's packaged pastries. If this is your last resort for a place to stay..use caution. The rooms attached sto the main building are okay and nice but the rest....don't advertise what is not real. Would I go back..only if my life depended upon it. No spa and no pool

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Kansas City, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

We stayed at the North Star in late June, from a recommendation in a Lonely Planet guide. When they reviewed it likely years ago, they made a comment about there being 25 rooms or so. We were in room 34, in the dungeon, I mean basement, so I have a feeling the owner converted the basement into more rooms for extra income, but should have stopped with the upstairs units. The lady at the front desk seemed cold on the phone, but was nicer in person-- just a little frantic acting. She did warn us that the room would be downstairs, so that was fair but they should let people see it first and charge $15 less for it.

The room: basement, so no source of natural light except for a window well. Old, musty, dark. Bed was laughingly terrible. Sagged so much in the middle. We camp a lot and were missing laying on a hard dirt ground, if that paints any picture for you. Cob webs in corners. Key didn't work to get back in. When we brought that to the attention of the front desk, she realized she gave us the wrong key. Was apologetic but when I asked for a different room, she said they were all sold out. Bummer. Because that room should not be allowed to be rented out to anyone. We were miserable.

The next day: breakfast was all store bought pastries but it was fine for us, we aren't picky. We were just glad to be upstairs again and out of the dark, scary room. Check-out was quick, lady was friendly and apologized again for giving us the basement. If you have to apologize, don't rent the room out. Seriously. But I appreciated her care and concern, better than non-chalance.

The kicker: our overall undesirable experience was behind us until I saw that there were two charges on my credit card statement. One for what we were charged and another for over $100. I called immediately and the woman was incredibly defensive and rude at first. I wasn't calling to chew anyone out, just calmly wanted to be refunded the extra incorrect charge. She was very frantic and unprofessional resolving the issue but after a few calls back and forget, she realized she didn't charge someone at all and charged us for both our stay and the random strangers. The incorrect amount was refunded, on my statement the next day. She was not very apologetic though and again, defensively said it was an honest mistake. I never thought she was trying to scam us but as a working professional, it is her place to be nothing but professional, apologetic and accomodating. Honestly after a mistake like that and such a terrible room, she should have refunded us for our room charge also. But I wasn't going to attempt to reason with someone so unprofessional- it would be a lost cause.

Overall, I'd like to believe the upstairs rooms are better. It IS cheap, but if you are downstairs, not worth it. Staff is friendly enough, but a little off. Vermont is beautiful and there is so much to see, but research your hotels. And Lonely Planet will be contacted to rethink their recommendations.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011 via mobile

Charged our card the day before our reservation!!! When we got there, the room was so gross, it smelled like bleach. When I turned on the tv, I found a crack pipe sitting next it! We immediatly went to the front desk and she told us she couldnt refund our money because she didnt know how! We had to call the police! Horrible experience! Do not stay here!!!

• Stayed June 2011
Macon, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Pros:
1. Close to Burlington and on the main road
2. One of the cheapest places I could find around Burlington
3. No problems with reservations or checking-in
4. Clean room

Cons:
1. The sign board is not illuminated at night, difficult to find
2. Room smelled of bleach
3. Front desk was closed at 6.45 am when we had to leave. We left the key in the room and called later to tell them about it. They had found the key before we called and had no problems with it.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to North Star Motel? Share your experiences!