“Seeing is not believing” 2 of 5 stars
Review of North Star Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shelburne
North Star Motel
You added North Star Motel to your Saves list
2427 Shelburne Road, Shelburne, VT 05482   |
Burlington, Vermont
“Seeing is not believing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

I stayed at this place first in a basement room for the ungodly price of $69. No air, closet door wouldnt shut, medicine cabinet doors wouldnt open or close, they ran out of toilet paper and I had to buy my own. Then I was moved into a smoking room with a very small kitchentte for the price of $38. The blinds on the window were in shambles ams many of the missing, the funiture was dilapidated, a drawer was com pletely missing out of the dresser and the smoke alarm was removed from the wall. For the three days I was in this room I heard nothing but doors slamming and noisy guests. After I left I was accused of not returning the room key when in fact on the day of departure @ 9:38 a.m. I was walking to the front desk and housekeeping said give it to her and she would turn it in. Oh and this continentail breakfast..yeah okay..it's packaged pastries. If this is your last resort for a place to stay..use caution. The rooms attached sto the main building are okay and nice but the rest....don't advertise what is not real. Would I go back..only if my life depended upon it. No spa and no pool

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Kansas City, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

We stayed at the North Star in late June, from a recommendation in a Lonely Planet guide. When they reviewed it likely years ago, they made a comment about there being 25 rooms or so. We were in room 34, in the dungeon, I mean basement, so I have a feeling the owner converted the basement into more rooms for extra income, but should have stopped with the upstairs units. The lady at the front desk seemed cold on the phone, but was nicer in person-- just a little frantic acting. She did warn us that the room would be downstairs, so that was fair but they should let people see it first and charge $15 less for it.

The room: basement, so no source of natural light except for a window well. Old, musty, dark. Bed was laughingly terrible. Sagged so much in the middle. We camp a lot and were missing laying on a hard dirt ground, if that paints any picture for you. Cob webs in corners. Key didn't work to get back in. When we brought that to the attention of the front desk, she realized she gave us the wrong key. Was apologetic but when I asked for a different room, she said they were all sold out. Bummer. Because that room should not be allowed to be rented out to anyone. We were miserable.

The next day: breakfast was all store bought pastries but it was fine for us, we aren't picky. We were just glad to be upstairs again and out of the dark, scary room. Check-out was quick, lady was friendly and apologized again for giving us the basement. If you have to apologize, don't rent the room out. Seriously. But I appreciated her care and concern, better than non-chalance.

The kicker: our overall undesirable experience was behind us until I saw that there were two charges on my credit card statement. One for what we were charged and another for over $100. I called immediately and the woman was incredibly defensive and rude at first. I wasn't calling to chew anyone out, just calmly wanted to be refunded the extra incorrect charge. She was very frantic and unprofessional resolving the issue but after a few calls back and forget, she realized she didn't charge someone at all and charged us for both our stay and the random strangers. The incorrect amount was refunded, on my statement the next day. She was not very apologetic though and again, defensively said it was an honest mistake. I never thought she was trying to scam us but as a working professional, it is her place to be nothing but professional, apologetic and accomodating. Honestly after a mistake like that and such a terrible room, she should have refunded us for our room charge also. But I wasn't going to attempt to reason with someone so unprofessional- it would be a lost cause.

Overall, I'd like to believe the upstairs rooms are better. It IS cheap, but if you are downstairs, not worth it. Staff is friendly enough, but a little off. Vermont is beautiful and there is so much to see, but research your hotels. And Lonely Planet will be contacted to rethink their recommendations.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011 via mobile

Charged our card the day before our reservation!!! When we got there, the room was so gross, it smelled like bleach. When I turned on the tv, I found a crack pipe sitting next it! We immediatly went to the front desk and she told us she couldnt refund our money because she didnt know how! We had to call the police! Horrible experience! Do not stay here!!!

• Stayed June 2011
Macon, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Pros:
1. Close to Burlington and on the main road
2. One of the cheapest places I could find around Burlington
3. No problems with reservations or checking-in
4. Clean room

Cons:
1. The sign board is not illuminated at night, difficult to find
2. Room smelled of bleach
3. Front desk was closed at 6.45 am when we had to leave. We left the key in the room and called later to tell them about it. They had found the key before we called and had no problems with it.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

My boyfriend and I were traveling through the area and saw the North Star Motel and stopped in. We were very pleased with the price and the staff and the cleanliness of the rooms. We were showed a few different rooms. All were clean and very neat. We did take a room and were very pleased with our decision.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Boscawen, New Hampshire, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

Checked in in the late afternoon. Plenty of empty rooms at the time, but they managed to put me (a nonsmoker) in a smoking room. Being a lung cancer survivor and suffering from COPD, I didn't really appreciate that. When I got to the room, it hadn't been cleaned; the toilet wouldn't flush (as evidenced by the paper still in the bowl); there were cigarette butts in an ashtray; loose change in the bathroom on the sink (anyone know a housekeeper that would leave anything more than a penny lying around after cleaning?); and the bed was 3" lower at the head than at the foot. I called the front desk and they said that the room had been cleaned, but sent a housekeeper anyway. I pointed out the fact that the toilet wouldn't flush and she said "Oh, well, you have to hold the handle down till it is finished flushing." ... which she demonstrated by flushing and hpolding the handle down ... twice ... to get the little bit of paper to go down. Finally told them that I would appreciate it if they could find me another room. 45 minutes later they sent me to another, slightly cleaner, room. The staff for the most part had a "who cares" attitude, from the front desk to housekeeping. I should probably say that I am 62 years old, retired and on disability, and dress in levis and t-shirts and have long, tied-back hair, but am a respected antique picker. So, I don't look like your run-of-the-mill "businessman". Perhaps this had something to do with their attitude. When I was in the are this weekend (Columbus Day), I drove right past, even though they had vacancies at the time, and will continue to drive past any time that I am in the area.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010 via mobile

We've been staying at the North Star Motel for about 10 times now, since 2005. The price is really good, especially during the winter months...

However, our experience did vary susbstancially, depending who was at the front desk. The corridor can be pretty noisy, especially at night.

One evening, an old blond woman, was asking us, panicked, if we smoked on our room. We said no, of course not (we don't smoke). She then asked us if we saw anyone smoke, which was pretty queer.

One other time, she made an obvious mistake on the date of our reservation...

Except for that old iron lady, the staff is extra nice and the rooms are OK for the price.

• Stayed August 2010

Been to North Star Motel? Share your experiences!