“great atmosphere, great service, and tramendeous food” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Burlington, Vermont
“great atmosphere, great service, and tramendeous food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

Cafe Shelburne has been on my list of places to eat since my family has moved back into the area a few months ago. Last week for my birthday my husband brought me to the Cafe. We had a lovely dinning experience which included a superb atmosphere and service. In my opinion the entree was the high light of my meal. I had the duck confit which melted in my mouth and the irresistible creamed potatoes were amazing. My husband had the Monk fish which was cooked to perfection.
Over all, the whole dinning experience was amazing and the great service really added to the experience...I can't wait for the next special occasion too come around.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Burlington, Vermont
“Inedibly salty food, burning our mouths.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

I'm a local, and have been dining at Café Shelburne since 1981, when it had different owners. It used to be fabulous, but I haven't been there recently, for good reason.

My daughter and I went there for a special occasion, and both of our main courses were inedibly salty. Meat, vegetables, everything. And I mean really salty... our mouths burned, and we had to rinse with water. My daughter was so disappointed, she just wanted to leave.

They had put us in the back room, a loud cavernous space. When the waitress eventually appeared, I asked for the bill. As she walked away towards the door, she turned and asked if we wanted our dinners boxed to go. I declined. She stood there, looking surprised, so I explained that the food was inedible... so salty that it burned the mouth. Though we had not eaten our main courses, I paid in full, including a tip.

On our way out, the owner looked up from her work, and accused me of being rude. Excuse me? Speechless, we departed. I've never returned. When local friends suggest a special occasion dinner, there are many other options.

If you do go to Café Shelburne, do not accept a table in the back room. It's cavernous, noisy, and the waitress rarely appears.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
burlington VT
“A special place for a special occasion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2010

My husband and I went to the Cafe Shelburne for dinner for my birthday. We both had the filet mignon, an appetizer, and dessert, and thought it was wonderful. We weren't sure about the wine, so we asked the waitress for a recommendation. She asked the chef, and brought us a French red wine that neither of us were familiar with. It was excellent.

The table next to us asked for steak knives for their filet, but the meat was so tender and well cooked that we didn't find it necessary. Service was competent and non-intrusive.

It is not inexpensive but well worth it for a special occasion.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hong Kong, China
“Great Food for Decades”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

I started going to the Cafe in the 1970's. It has always had a high standard and I cannot wait to bring my wife and son there someday when visiting Vermont. Few places like that and not too be missed for fans of French cuisine.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Montreal
“For lovers of French cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

You need to try that restaurant if you like French cuisine. We had a great evening. Do not miss the Chocolate truffle. You better buy a box because they are PERFECT.

Francoise