“Beautiful Gardens and Farm” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 12 Attractions in Shelburne
Type: Educational Sites, Historic Sites, Farms, Ranch & Farm
Activities: Group tours/walking tour, Walking
More attraction details
Owner description: Historic buildings and property now a farm where children can participate.
Rhode Island, USA
“Beautiful Gardens and Farm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Attended a private funcation at Shelburne Farms, the drive into the garden and house was spectacular and the house and garden tour was very lovely. Don't miss the gift shop and fine cheese and vermont products for sale.

Visited August 2013

Oswego, New York
16 attraction reviews
“A great working farm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I wasn't sure what there was to see at the Shelburne Farms, but was pleasantly surprised when we arrived. We took the tour which saved us lots of walking (as we only had a couple of hours to spend on this trip). The grounds was pleasing to see and the views of Lake Champlain was outstanding. I enjoyed going through the mansion and the garden and then the children's area. I would have loved to spend more time on the grounds and to walk through the woods so hope to do it in a future visit. Loved the cheese samples Well worth the time to see this working farm.

Fayetteville, New York
3 attraction reviews
“Harvest Festival worth the trip.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I've visited with my kids numerous times in the past, however, it's been a while and we had always wanted to return to VT in the fall. Though the kids are a little older, the festival was very well planned and executed. There are many things for the kids to do but they also do a great job at providing educational information and exhibits for the parents as well. Keep in mind that if you have teens, they may not share the same excitement as the younger ones but of course that all depends on the individual. I highly recommend a stop and purchase of some of the fresh item in the bakery. I also think the cheddar cheese produced from their own cows is the best I've eaten. Even if you don't visit, you can still purchase online from their store. This is definitely worth the stop if you are in the area.

Litchfield, Connecticut, United States
3 attraction reviews
“Where'd The Macig Go?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I have mixed feelings about this place that I loved as a child.This working farm is a great place to visit! The animal barnyard is the kid's favorite. They have a milk cow which you can milk at certain times, chickens for chasing and catching, calf, lambs, goats, pigs and piglets, donkey's and alpaca's, rabbits you can brush and baby goats as well. There are tons of hands on toys inside the barn as well as a wonderful outside area that is fenced in where the chickens roam about. Catching the chickens is the highlight of our visit! The great thing is that the kid's can touch just about everything! They offer a lot of programs for kids as well, I believe they even have preschool. Included in the barnyard is where they make cheese, my favorite! There are always samples of their cheeses and they are so good. There is also a bakery and a food truck for your snacking pleasure! As a kid I remember camping here for girl scout's and it was so special! My Great Great Grandfather lived on the property at one time. He raised animals like chimps and elephants just to name a few! My mom would always show us where he lived! People who worked and lived there were so friendly! Ah gone are the days of that. It's really sad that this place has changed so much. Some is good, some is not. I believe they are turning this farm into a money/tourist trap. Once you were able to pay a price and drive in and see/do what you wanted. Now you cannot. I wanted to show my kid's a piece of their family history and was denied. You must now pay for every little thing you do there. Barnyard one price, breeding barn another, tour of grounds another. Where do you draw the line? I get that you can walk anywhere but when there are miles to cover and children involved that's not really feasible. I feel like whatever it takes to make that all mighty dollar and that's it. I miss the old farm and the old people that used to run it!

Visited August 2013
Andover, Massachusetts
23 attraction reviews
“Working farm with great history”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

This is a beautiful farm located right on the shores of Lake Champlain. My husband and I came here for a "quick look" and ended staying for hours. We hiked through numerous trails, enjoying the woods, the fields, and the historic farm buildings. My favorite part was wandering through the Shelburne House; a Vanderbilt's country home built during the Gilded Age turned into an Inn. The Inn has formal gardens and sits directly on the shore of the lake. The view of the lake and the mountains on the far shore are magnificent. For lunch we purchased a delicious sandwich from the Farm Barn Building, where there is also a bakery. The architecture of even the farm buildings is breath taking. (Note - there is no food or beverages available at the Inn during the afternoon so make sure that you have at least water if you hike from the front gate - it is a very long walk).