“Nice Stop and Learning Experience” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 2 Attractions in Shaftsbury
Type: Historic Sites, Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: Home of poet Robert Frost in his middle years.
Modesto, California
196 attraction reviews
“Nice Stop and Learning Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

We stopped here while traveling up Route 7a during our recent trip to Vermont. I wanted to visit this house to learn more about Robert Frost. I was also interested because he wrote my favorite poem here, "Stopping By Woods on Snowy Evening." The house is located right near the road, so not in the most peaceful setting, but it is a lovely home and area none the less and there are fields and woods near the house. The house is not large, therefore does not take long to see as you can only view the downstairs rooms, which are about two or three. There is memorabilia regarding Frost; a few furnishings, pictures, letters and information on his life which was interesting to read. There is also a section devoted to the illustrator who did woodcuts for Frost's books. There is one room devoted to his poem, "Stopping by Woods." One of the rooms (former kitchen) functions as an entrance and tiny gift shop that sells books, audio, video, etc. I bought a book/CD combo that was read by Mr. Frost. I had read there was an apple orchard on the premises that Frost planted but apparently there is only one tree left to view. The rest of the orchard has fallen into disrepair and is somewhere at the edge of the property. A new orchard has been planted though. I would recommend a stop here if you are a Frost fan or want to learn more about this poet. I was glad I stopped but would not suggest making the long trip to come here as there is not a great deal to see.

Visited October 2011

Winchester, Virginia
9 attraction reviews
“Lovely house, not that much to see really”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Let me preface this review by saying I went with somebody who is a big fan of Robert Frost, I myself can't say I've really read much of his poetry. The house is in a very nice quiet setting. The house is of average size and I thought there would be more to see inside. All in all there was only 3 main rooms with mostly just stuff to read inside. I guess I was expecting more historical stuff inside of it. But it was only $5 per person so a rather low expense. I would say if you're a big fan then come visit, but just a casual person can find better stuff to do with your time.

Visited October 2011
Houston, Texas
79 attraction reviews
“Lovely setting, very interesting.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

We loved this. Learned a lot about Frost and his poetry. Beautiful setting.

Visited July 2011
Austin, TX
19 attraction reviews
“if you like Frost's poetry you should definitely visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

Robert Frost and his family lived in a fairly modest house so this is a small museum. It has some of his family's furniture and other furnishings. It also has displays with information on his life history, some of his writings, some of what he read and some of the engravings that illustrated his volumes. I really enjoyed it!