“Great place to stay, but surprisingly expensive.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Saint Johnsbury
GreenLeadersGold level
“Great place to stay, but surprisingly expensive.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

This place has almost everything. I guess I just have a hard time paying $170 for a hotel in the middle of nowhere that doesn't have a restaurant and bar.
The free breakfast is big and nice to get for free. Of course the meats and eggs are previously cooked and frozen, but the fresh waffles and the sheer volume of stuff make it a decent morning experience.
I really liked it here. The lobby was pretty and there was a nice backyard. I'd be happy to stay here again. I guess I'd just rather pay more and get more or pay less and get less - this was a strange price point for my experience.

• Stayed June 2013
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I appreciate the honest feedback regarding our rates and the compliments directed toward our hotel as a whole. Please know that your opinion genuinely matters and will help us improve our hotel.

You mentioned in your reveiw that our hotel is in the "middle of no where". We are actually far from "no where" (it is much further north) and located just minutes from some of the most amazing natural and man-made attractions in all of New England. I encourage you to go to the hotel's independent website and consider booking your summer (or winter) vacation with us. The truth is...we are Northern New England's #1 summer vacation destination. If you are looking for adventure, consider canoeing or kayaking on our local rivers/lakes, Kingdom Trails Mountain biking, guided ATV rides, zip-lining, hiking the green or white mountains, ride the Mount Washington Cog Railway, or take a swim in Lake Whilloughby. If you are looking for something the kids will love...consider the Great Vermont Corn Maze, the aerial Tram to the top of Cannon Mountain, Clarks Trading Post, the Polar Caves or Santa's Village. If you are looking for some culture...check out the historic St. Johnsbury Atheneaum, Fairbanks Museum, or Old Stone House Museum. We also offer a handful of do not miss culinary experiences...Cabot Cheese Factory, Maple Grove Farms Factory, Ben & Jerrys Factory, Cold Hollow Cider Mill, Littleton Grist Mill and my "do not miss" Chutters General Store.

The list above only scratches the surface of all that is available to you from our hotel. I hope you will come back soon to relax, rejuvenate and explore the very best of Northern New Hampshire and Vermont.

Hope to see you again! Until then...safe travels!
VermontTajMahal@aol.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Brattleboro, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I've stayed at the Comfort Inn in St. Johnsbury several times over the last eight years. It's alway a pleasant return. The staff is very friendly and professional; the rooms and lobbyare clean and inviting, and the complementary breakfast is excellent. Thank You!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

BrettLoehr, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your repeated patronage! Eight years of staying with us??? We should name a suite after you! My team and I love hosting our repeat guests. We are always tickled to see a familiar face. Thank you for recognizing my team members and the overall quality of our hotel. I will share your comments with the entire staff.

Hopefully, we'll see you again shortly. Until then...safe travels!

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We booked at the last minute in order to attend my husband's 50th high school reunion. We also paid a premium for that weekend.
The hotel was easy to find and the front desk clerk (Karen?) was really really nice and helpful.
The problem, however, were the pillow soft beds and somewhat noisy air conditioning unit which kept me up all night. My husband had to disconnect the bar fridge because the compressor was making so much noise that he couldn't sleep.
Exhausted I found the breakfast wonderful and the lady who lovingly prepared the waffles, bacon and eggs an angel.
I discussed the problem of no sleep with the front desk clerk and she automatically took care of the problem. She suggested that next time we stay the top mattress cover can be removed. No problem with unplugging the fridge...as for the A/C....well, if you're a light sleeper it can be a problem.
The pool/hot tub are great and the grounds are lovely. All in all I would recommend this place.

Room Tip: Listen to the A/C unit before you take the room. Some rooms are quieter than others
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you so much for the TripAdvisor review and staying with us for your husband's reunion. As you pointed out, our rates do climb during LSC, St. Johnsbury Academy and Lyndon Institute graduation periods. If nothing else, we are consistent. As Carol, our world renowned “Breakfast Ambassador” mentioned to you, we willingly and happily will remake our guest’s beds without our quilted mattress pad topper. For the VAST majority of our guests (guessing 90+%), the beds are the best they’ve ever slept on. Months ago when we implemented our new bedding program, I was forced to write a generic response letter detailing the specific mattress, bedding topper, triple sheeting process, filled comforter, decorative top sheet, decorative scarf and assortment of firm and soft pillows. I even went so far as to list hotel vendors where each portion of the bedding could be purchased. I receive no less than 5-20 requests a week from our guests wanting to recreate our bedding program in their homes. Having said all that…I couldn’t sleep on our beds regularly. They are too soft for my personal taste. I like a firm mattress and very specific pillows. As a result, we decided that we would remake any guest’s bed(s) that prefer a firmer sleeping surface. If you know in advance that you prefer a firmer bed…please mention it while booking your reservation. We will have your firm bedded room waiting for you. The refrigerator that you referenced has a program to prevent it from ever needing defrosting. We do the very best we can to make sure that they operate silently, but it is a never ending process. When they do get unplugged the end result is the defrosting timer eventually gets reset to operate during evening hours when our guests want them to operate quietly. Our A/C units can and do experience hiccups during the spring and fall periods. Specifically, when the regional weather pattern goes from one extreme to the other. In the seven days leading up to your visit, we went from 3-4 inches of snow (in very late May) to 85+ degrees. As old time Vermonters will tell you…”If you don’t like the weather…give it five minutes”.

Thank you again for letting us host your visit. We will look forward to seeing you at your husband’s next reunion.

Until then…safe travels!
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

This hotel has nice rooms well-appointed to meet the needs of travelers. We found hair-dryer, refrigerator, microwave oven, ironing board and iron very nice conveniences to have. The staff is friendly and accommodating, the hotel is very clean and it is very conveniently located - close to the town and Academy campus, easy access to I-91. This hotel is an excellent choice in this area. There is no restaurant, but food delivery from local restaurants is available and was delivered to us late at night, hot and within 30 minutes. The dining room is used for breakfast service and there are several choices, hot and cold - buffet style. We would definitely stop here again.

Green Features: They have a suggestion to use towels more than once - or not - if you choose. Also, a great addition was the recycling bin in the bathroom for paper, plastic and glass. Very nice!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. The hotel has only a few local restaurants that deliver. My son is the delivery person for Ramuntos (hint...hint). They offer a quality brick oven pizza. In addition, there is Chinese food available for delivery. The hotel's front desk has a list of local restaurants along with the "General Manager's Recommendations". I encourage visitors to ask for the sheet. The restaurants that get "two thumbs up" from me are quality dining establishments. We hope to see you again in the future.

Until then...safe travels!

Litchfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I returned to St. J. for my 50th class reunion and stayed at the Comfort Inn on the recommendation of a good friend. From the moment we registered to the moment we checked out, the staff was friendly and courteous. The room was clean, spacious and comfortable. We had everything we needed (and more) at our disposal - ironing board, iron, blow dryer, microwave and 'fridge. We checked in late and ordered take out from a town restaurant because the C.I.'s restaurant is available only for breakfast. Our food was delivered hot (and yummy) within 30 minutes of ordering. The next morning, we ate breakfast in the C.I. dining room - we found a variety of hot and cold selections for breakfast and again, a very pleasant staff. We had no time to use the facilities based on the reunion schedule, but I will certainly bring my bathing suit when I return for my next trip. Highly recommended! This Comfort Inn provides excellent accomodations and services, particularly for this area.

Green Features: Loved the recycling bin in the room and the suggestion to use your towel more than once ... we do it at home, don't we?
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Annually, we have the distinct pleasure of hosting the St. Johnsbury class reunion's attendees. It is one weekend of the year that is a personal highlight. I'm the extremely proud father of three St. Johnsbury Academy graduates. I relocated my family to Vermont in 2000 to open this hotel and so my children could get a world-class education. All these years later, I wouldn't change a thing.

Thank you for staying with us. Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor.

We will look forward to seeing you at your next reunion (if not sooner)!

Until then...safe travels!

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This place is comfortable, clean, friendly, quiet at night, and has enough going on to keep my 8yo son happy (arcade, pool, breakfast). We have stayed here on two separate occasions and come away satisfied both times. Would not hesitate to book a room again.

Room Tip: Third floor is said to be the quietest. We've never been bothered.
Green Features: I appreciate that there are recycling bins available in the rooms, and that you're asked to reuse your towels if you're staying more than one night. On the other hand, I do wish they would eliminate the styrofoam in the breakfast room and just use regular plates, bowls and cups.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

BrettLoehr, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for staying repeatedly with us and then sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I'm glad you found us clean, comfortable and friendly. I also enjoyed reading that your 8 year old son would give us two thumbs up. I am a father of four (three in college and a nine year old). My wife and I work hard to earn our family's income. We learned early on that taking our children to a family friendly hotel was easily worth an extra $10 - $20. Our Comfort Inn & Suites is EXTREMELY family friendly...our smallest room can sleep six (two queen beds and a pullout sofa) and a hot breakfast buffet is included each night. Children under 16 stay for free and I can attest that they love our indoor pool and arcade.

Again, thank you for staying with us. We'll look forward to seeing you again in the future. Until then...safe travels.

Vienna, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

We came back to St. Johnsbury from Virginia because a beloved family member passed away. We own property in a nearby town and could have stayed there but there were many of us, and since our apartment is on the third floor, and I am having problems with a knee, we opted to stay in the hotel. What a wonderful experience. Family was given an adjoining room, and we had the opportunity to spend quality time together. We arrived late in the evening, with little expecation of getting dinner. We called for delivery from a local restaurant, our order arrived quickly; hot, and from a very pleasant young driver. I cannot say enough about the quality of the housekeeping. Everything was spotless, smelled freshly cleaned and stocked with everything we needed. The bed was comfortable, the sheets crisp and comfy and we felt truly at home. The staff was friendly, the breakfast well prepared and the hostess extremely accomodating. She even made a waffle for my niece, who slept in, before she closed. We spent four nights at the hotel, were treated like guests in every way, and left refreshed. Thank you, Comfort Inn staff, for making such a sad time easier for us all. We will surely stay there again, and would recommend your hotel to any and all.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

BrettLoehr, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
On behalf of my entire staff, please accept our deepest sympathy for you and your family. We appreciate you staying with us and then sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I’m glad to hear that we were able to help you and your family members. The truth is we host families during the best and worst of times. At the end of the day, we recognize how important our jobs are when we are able to help support a family like yours through such a difficult experience.

Please do not hesitate to call on me if I can be of any additional assistance.

VermontTajMahal@aol.com

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!