“Maggots?!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Rutland B&B and Inns
Jeffersonville, Vermont, United States
“Maggots?!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I really didn't expect much of this motel. I've stayed in dozens of low-end, one-star properties, but very rarely do I find that one is actually dirty. I couldn't necessarily SEE the dirt here. When we walked in, the room smelled noxiously strong of cleanser, so my thought was that the place must at least be clean. Apparently I was wrong because at 10pm, far too late to be searching for another motel on a holiday weekend, I found the bathroom tile floor as well as 3' or so of the carpeted area in front of the bathroom door to be covered in live, wriggling maggots. We used toilet paper to clean all of them up, flushed them, then an hour later found the floor in these areas once again covered. It continued to happen over and over throughout the night and next morning. They weren't there when we first checked in, and I have no idea where they kept coming from. My boyfriend thought they may have been falling from the drop ceiling. Thankfully none ended up in our bed or I wouldn't have stayed the night. I can overlook a lot of things, but maggots isn't one of them. Unacceptable. Especially for $150 a night.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Hanover, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

If you are looking for a budget place in Rutland, this is a good option (at least based on my experience). I see that some guests have complained about the cleanliness of this place; granted, I came across a daddy longlegs in the shower and a few strands of hair on my towel, but otherwise, I had no complaints in this regard. Most importantly, the sheets were immaculate.

Pros: Free WiFi (relatively fast too!), television with ~25 channels incl. HBO. Comfortable bed. My room also had a coffeemaker with 2 complimentary pods, something I may have overappreciated. The manager was kind.

Cons: The parking lot had not been well-shoveled after a large snowstorm. I had a difficult time getting the shower handles to cooperate...however, after a bit of "too hot," "too cold", "freezing", "burning", it landed on a nice temperature, which it held without issue. Finally, the room had something of a strange odor, nothing too strong though.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stayed here twice here in the last month. The first time, there was hair on the bathroom floor. I figured I could overlook that for the price. The second time, I'd unloaded everything from my car and was all settled in before I realized that there was so much hair on the sheets that there was no way they could be clean. I went out to the car and got my sleeping bag. The fridge smelled like it wasn't working so I just left everything in my cooler. The heat worked great and the microwave was clean.

Room Tip: don't do it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Holyoke, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

motel was baSIC but very clean n comnfortable,n i have no complaints. cheap n clean fit the bill just right!! Was a welcome sight at the end of the night after working in massachusetts 4 several hrs. will def stay again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed there two nights at the end of July 2012.

The pool in the photos is dirt and had about a year of plant-life growth in it. The manager says that they're "replacing the lining". With that kind of growth I highly doubt it.

The room seemed very old. The carpet was stained the bedding was stained. The bathroom looked like it came straight out of the 70s complete with non-functional in tub steam bath. The tile in the bathroom was also cracked and broken in places. Two of the three door locks were broken. The air conditioner vent was broken and needed to be shimmed to blow air in any direction except down. The bed sheets seemed like they were too small. It's as though they took a pair of flat sheets that were intended for a queen sized bed and used them on a king. By the time we woke up the bedding was half off the bed.

The refrigerator and microwave was a bit of a plus but the fridge was missing the little bar that holds stuff to the door. We didn't try the microwave but it looked okay.

The breakfast area is tiny. The desk clerk actually made the waffles for us and served them to us. That was about the only good part of the breakfast selection of white bread, wheat bread and other industrially pastries.

The worst thing about our stay is that we were in a non-smoking room. It was situated directly above a smoking room. Apparently the bathroom exhausts are interconnected because we had to keep our bathroom door closed or our entire room reeked of smoke. It took us a while to figure out just were the smell was coming from.

Overall, this place needs a serious facelift into the 21st century and complete makeover. I would seriously not recommend this place to anyone who can afford to stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you're a non smoker, be sure to get a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Detroit, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Checked into one room, carpet stained, windows broken. Demanded to be moved to a different room.

Next room I got had carpet stains, towels were stained, bedding had stains. I pulled back the fitted sheet and there was bedbugs.

Pointed the bedbugs out to mgr on duty, was refunded my stay and I left.

• Stayed July 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this place with my husband and our kids. The web site shows a nice place to sit to eat the 'free continental breakfast' which there was no such place. The free breakfast consisted if a loaf of white bread a loaf of wheat and some no frills honey buns.

As far as cleanliness, it was ok. There were a few dust bunnies in a corner here or there. No biggie. There weren't any anti-slip strips in the shower. That is a safety hazard.

I was also disappointed by the size of the room, again the pictures on the site are false. The room is not the same and much smaller. It did the job, I'm not sure if we'd attempt it again though.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!