“Very comfortable...reasonable price...nice location.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 12 hotels in Rutland
Rochester, New York
“Very comfortable...reasonable price...nice location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

The Comfort Inn at Trolley Square has some good qualities and some not so good qualities. The staff at the front desk and breakfast room are friendly, helpful and knowledgable.

The rooms are comfortable and every things works (high speed Internet, TV, phone, etc.)

There is plenty of free parking and a nice restaurant to walk to right across the parking lot.

We stayed two nights and had a good night's sleep both nights.

The place does need some sprucing up. It is clean but there was drywall tape coming off the ceiling of our shower, the breakfast room on the third floor is too small and needs more space to provide additional breakfast items.

We have stayed there a couple of times in years gone by and would stay there again but we have noticed the decline in the facility.

Room Tip: The breakfast room is on the third floor if you want to avoid the stairs/elevator to breakfast.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

143 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Salem, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

When we arrived, the sign was not lit. That should have told us something. This place is suffering from real neglect.
The folks at the front desk and working the breakfast area were very nice and helpful, however, the facility itself is really awful.
First of all, the hotel is a dimly lit maze: we had to go through a poorly marked door to the "dining room" to get to the elevator. The halls smell of smoke and are dank and dark. The rooms are similarly old, damp feeling and shabby---although not smoky smelling, to be fair. The shower curtain had red mold on it, and the heater/a/c was ineffective and loud. The breakfast was several rungs below the usual Holiday Inn Express-type breakfast. There was a public computer and a printer. The printer was broken, but the staff made copies for us.
I do want to say that the beds were comfortable and the showerhead had a nice strong spray. Both good things, but not enough to overcome the damp, musty, smoky, dingy general atmosphere. This place has not been cared for and I just can't recommend it except in a real pinch.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights. My room was pretty clean. I think the carpet proably could have used a shampoo, but overall good. The sheets were clean. After going over the bottom sheet with a lint roller, the roller was clean !!! Bed was comfy. TV is flat screen. No fridge in the room, but front desk said they presently only some rooms have the fridge, but that they are working on putting them in all rooms. Bathroom was small but clean. Shower head had no pink mildew LOL !!! Breakfast was the upgraded continental including waffle machine, scrambled egg paties, and sausage. Breakfast room was small and got a bit crowded, but then thinned out. Guess people took food back to their rooms. Hotel has a restaurant/bar on the premises, an actual bar and a McDonalds just outside the property and lots of other things in the area. So overall, I was a happy camper !!!

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 233.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Good Location with Restaurant and Bar. Many other food options nearby as well. Hotel is just a short drive from downtown Rutland. Staff was very nice and helpful with questions we had about the area. Will definately stay there on our next trip through Vermont.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed here 1 night while passing through Vermont to the got to the Rockwell Museum. Chose it because it was the only place we could find near stuff that was open past 9pm in sleepy Rutland. Plus it wasn't expensive. Rooms were spacious, clean enough, but generally fairly average. Fine for 1 night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Concord
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The hotel wasn't anything spectacular and the room could have been a bit cleaner, but it was the right value for the price. The pool was too cold and the spa too hot. I would probably stay if it only required 1 night, but not more.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night so we could attend the VT State Fair, which was approximately a block and half away. For proximity to the fair grounds, no hotel is better. But that's where it starts and ends for this place.
I had called over the day before to check on our reservation and was told that check-in was at 3PM, but that our room should likely be ready by noon. Epic fail. When we got there at 2:30PM, our room still wasn't ready. I mentioned the phone conversation to the front desk clerk who said, "I don't know who would have told you that. Our check-in is at 3PM" No apology, just attitude. So, while we pissed away valuable time that could have been spent at the State Fair waiting to see if we could be put into another room, we decided to use the hotel computer in the (tiny!) entrance lounge area to print our boarding passes for our flight the next morning.
It's nice to have a computer/printer for guests to do this. It's even better when it works!
I tried multiple times to get our tickets to print, only to have the printer crap out on me each time. The front desk clerk had no clue how to fix the printer. Instead she complained that the hotel was recently taken over by new management and everything had been turned on its ear. Y'know what? I don't want excuses when I travel, I want service. I realize that the Comfort Inn isn't the creme de la creme of hotels, but even so, this to me was unacceptable. Finally, the clerk told me to send my tickets to her email so she could print them. What? I don't know you, Lady. I'm not sending you my email address. In the end, though, I did, in an effort to print my tickets. What a mess. She had no clue how to even use her own computer. Ultimately I had to step behind the front desk to print ... a receipt for online check-in, because I couldn't print the tickets.
When we finally got up to the room it was wicked damp. Ick. Even with air conditioning, it was soggy. That's nasty.
I'd rate this review poor, but since the bed was comfortable and the shower was nice, I'm being generous.
Breakfast the next morning was nice, too, although nothing to write home about. I did notice a woman having considerable difficulty splitting open the two halves of an English muffin and I overheard the breakfast room attendant say to her, "You're having trouble because it's frozen." That's what you put out for guests to eat? Again, absolutely unacceptable.
If this is the way this joint runs under new management, I'm scared to consider what it was like under the old management. Truly not a place I'd recommend staying, unless you are going to the State Fair, value ease of access over everything else and are very tolerant of incompetent staff.

Room Tip: Stress the importance of a room that's NOT damp. I'd suggest for that a room on a higher flo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Comfort Inn Trolley Square? Share your experiences!