“Best of the best....” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Attractions in Rupert
Type: Educational Sites, Forests, Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Farms, Outdoors
Activities: Hiking
More attraction details
Owner description: Reserve and education center founded by George Merck - the pharmaceutical executive.
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Best of the best....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Great for kids of all ages - both forest and mountain view hikes and always something going on at the farm. Been coming here for +25 years, kids enjoy it as much as we do.

'Peggy Sue' was due when we stopped by last week so we had to go back yesterday to see how she make out. See photo!

Visited July 2014

Miller Place, New York
17 attraction reviews
“Many years of wonderful camping experiences at this very special place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

I first camped here more than 20 years ago (Spruce Cabin) and I last camped here about five years ago (Nenorod Cabin). This is a very special place and I have so many meaningful memories of time spent camping, hiking, swimming, and exploring this perfect piece of Vermont! The cabins are rustic, the views incredible, the wildlife abundant, and solitude spectacular! Merck Forest was the perfect introduction to camping and the outdoors for our children. I am ever thankful for the summer visits spent in the woods, in the mountains, on the trails, in the pond, among the frogs, newts, snakes, squirrels, mice, porcupines, deer, and one very mysterious fisher cat. The working farm also offers so many valuable lessons from gardening to livestock, to maple syrup and everything in between. I will NEVER forget our time spent at Merck Forest and the wonderful memories it created for me. I encourage all to visit, whether for a few hours or a few days, whether in summer or winter. It is worth the trip!

Visited July 2013
Elkton, Maryland
9 attraction reviews
“Helpful people in Visitor's Center - Great trails!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Very cold and windy, but great exercise! Sap room and barns along the way to stop and see animals (baby lambs - so cute!!) - Trails were clean - air crisp and fresh - great hike!!

Visited April 2014
Ripton, Vermont
“Winter camping at Dunc's Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Spent two nights in Dunc's cabin. Cabins are very rustic with wood stoves and plenty of dry wood. I was prepared to be entertained by mice in the cabin, but alas, there were none! A cooler was supplied to keep food secure and previous campers left behind matches, fire starters, pots and toilet paper which was nice even though I brought my own. The solitude and natural surroundings were just what I had been seeking. This cabin is the last on the trail and so I saw very few people pass by. I used back country skis to travel the 2 miles from the visitor center to the cabin. The trails were well marked and packed by other users and the on site snow mobile crew. It was challenging to ski with a full pack on as I am not in great shape but I am glad I did and it felt good to be challenged. I look forward to going back again before the snow melts. Also, the staff were super friendly and helpful. This place is a gem!

Visited February 2014
15 attraction reviews
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Plenty of beauty and history here. Great place to visit and learn about tapping maple trees. Nice gift shop and friendly staff. Great views for taking photos.

Visited October 2013