“Nice place to visit.... Home made biscuits..!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Liberty Hill Farm Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rochester
Liberty Hill Farm Inn
You added Liberty Hill Farm Inn to your Saves list
511 Liberty Hill, Rochester, VT 05767   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Rochester
GreenLeadersGold level
Sudbury/Toronto/Adelaide/Auckland
“Nice place to visit.... Home made biscuits..!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I stayed here with a couple of my family members and for the most part it was a great place to be. It was winter so we probably didn't get out and about on the property as much as we would in other months. The hosts are good old fashioned folk tha I enjoyed talking with. They were fantastic at accommodating my little daughter, they had the crib set up and high chair ready...Fantastic! My minor issues/comments would be these;

The rooms can get very hot with the heater on... I mean wake up in a sweat hot!
It's was (as far as I am aware) all shared bathroom which is not uncommon for a b&b but worth a mention.
It's a Christian household (no problem for me as I am Christian) but as this is a family house you are expected to say grace at the dinner table. This may/may not put some people out of their comfort zone if they are either not religious or from another faith.

Other than those slightly negative points I would have to say it was a nice place to spend a couple days... As one of the reviews has stated, food is great! I mean it was like staying at that aunt's house that can cook...WOW!

Room Tip: Ignore the GPS/Satnav and call the hosts for directions... Otherwise you will go the very long way.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
South Florida, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

This is a very unusal set-up for a bed and breakfast however it was quite enjoyable. It is located in a rather remote area in Vermont, you have to be going there. When you pull onto the property you immediately notice a huge red barn and a lovely old farm house. When you open the car door you immediately notice a smell of the country. Don't get me wrong, it is not an unpleasant smell, just a smell one from the city is not accustomed. Beth was there to greet us and show us to our room. Our room was one with 5 single beds, just what one would imagine on a farm. Be forewarned there are no televisions in the rooms which was fine by me. There were plenty of interesting things to do and see other than sit around watching the boob tube!! After donning your rubber boots (provided for you on the porch), you were free to roam the farm at will. Checking out the barn, looking at the calves, chasing around the chickens, you could even help with feeding the calves if you wanted. Dinner was served at 6pm. All the guests gathered in the dinning room which was located right by the kitchen. Beth cooked a very good roast beef dinner with potatoes, beets, and broccoli salad. We all held hands and said grace, something I did not do with my family growing up. It was nice. Dinner was served family style with everyone talking and laughing, as if we knew each other for years!! She also made a delicious chocolate dessert served with coffee. When we were done eating something happened that I imagine happens every single night at the same time...in came Bob...Beth's husband. He was carrying a metal jug which I am certain was filled with fresh milk, he handed this to Beth. After his shower, he sat down to eat. What upset me just a bit, he got the leftovers. I am sure this is fine by him, but if I would have known this, I would not have taken my second helping of potatoes!! :) Bob was interested in talking about his business and was happy to answer all of my silly questions. The night was quiet, very quiet. I awoke to the smell of coffee and sausage. Yummy fresh blueberry pancakes with real maple syrup were served. It was delightful. Beth seems like such a good person, so real and true to herself and family and especially her guests. Thank you for sharing your farm and way of life with me, I'll never eat Cabot cheese again without thinking of my great stay at the Liberty Hill Farm.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Other reviews seem to accurately describe the property and farm, so I will focus on two aspects of the B&B that do not seem to be mentioned much in other reviews: food and location. The food served here is unbelievably good, and it is all home cooked. That means you are served with some of the best home cooked meals you will ever eat....hands down. Each meal is like eating the best Thanksgiving meal you ever had. The location of the B&B is also a "plus". It is very convenient to many other towns in Vermont...short drives to Killington, Stowe, Waterbury, etc. Not to mention the White River runs through the property and provides fishing and deep swimming holes on the property, which is all surrounded by mountains. The fact that the B&B is also an operating dairy farm provides a unique glimpse into a world that most of us will never see in our lifetime.....

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Gardiner, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

We just got back from a weekend stay at Liberty Hill and we are already planning our next trip. It's hard to pick what we liked best. We went with our 18 month old daughter and 3 year old son. When we arrived, the pack n' play was already set up and the high chair was at the table. Everything was ready for us to relax and enjoy. The food was like a perfect Christmas dinner at every meal. Farmer Beth is a gracious host and talented cook who made us feel welcome. The farm is wonderful for a three year old, with newborn kittens, rubber boots for splashing in puddles, friendly goats who wander around, and all the cows and calves. It was a toddler paradise for our son and the children he befriended from two other families staying at the B&B. The atmosphere is conducive to relaxation and we spent most of the time wandering around the farm at a leisurely pace, investigating all the wonders of farm life. I will be dreaming of the baked ham from the first night and the banana cake with fudge frosting from the second night. And the bacon with breakfast? YUM! Thank you, Farmer Beth, for an unforgettable experience.

Room Tip: The first floor rooms great for families.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Marion, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

My sister and I spent a couple of nights at Liberty Hill Farm in the days leading up to our niece's graduation from UVM. We wanted to spend a little extra time in Vermont and just enjoy nature's bounty and scenery. We couldn't possibly have chosen a better spot! The farm is a real working farm, as other reviewers have stressed, so tractors are going all the time and there was very "organic" mud everywhere. The house was also host to another extended family also going to a UVM graduation, and the combination of Beth & Bob, the people working on the farm, the other family and ourselves made for relaxed and convivial conversation over absolutely delicious meals. (We kept telling Beth we want her to write a cookbook.) I recommend this as a wonderful place to reconnect with nature and to contemplate how we treat animals and how we eat. The music of the cows moos are a pleasure to hear, and there is NOTHING cuter than baby goats.

• Stayed May 2011
columbus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights at the farm and wished we could have stayed longer. The farm is ideally located for day trips. The rooms are very clean if a little worn, but you don't visit for mod cons and pristine conditions. You visit to enjoy the farm, countryside and get away frm it all. Our son loved the cats and watching the milking. We loved the learning about the workings of the farm during the excellent dinners. Everyone on the farm was happy to answer questions. Their hospitality made our stay special. We hope to return soon.

• Stayed May 2011
Hillsborough, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

I stayed at Liberty Hill farm for 4 nights on the first weekend of Oct 2010 with 2 friends of mine.
It was one of the best vacations that I have had. Vermont is so beautiful in the fall. Liberty Hill Farm is situated in a very quiet, beautiful and pristine area.
The hosts, Beth and Bob, are very friendly and lovely. They made my stay so nice that I had a hard time leaving.
Liberty Hill Farm offers a kind of vacation that is very unique and yet it offers such comfort to stay. The place is sparkling clean as everyone has to take off their shoes going into the house and the house is cleaned every day. Every room, from bedroom to bathroom, is very neat. Towels are changed every day although we insisted to re-use them. The meals are exquisite. By the time we finished breakfast and returned to our room, the beds are already made and the towels are changed. That kind of service is unexpected.
What makes the stay at Liberty Hill Farm so special is the atmosphere of the place with very lovely hosts, hosts’ extended family and guests. Everyone talked around the table at breakfast and dinner. We shared stories and talked about day trips. We gathered in the living room in the evening after dinner to watch TV or just to talk. Some of us took walks in the early morning before breakfast and in the evening after dinner. The scenery along the paths is breathtaking. We also had the chance to milk cows, feed calves and visit the barn.
At the end of the trip, I came home feeling richer, getting to know a few nice new friends with whom I have been keeping contact.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Liberty Hill Farm Inn? Share your experiences!