“Delicious, Fresh, Locally Sourced Food at the Inn Dining Room” 5 of 5 stars

Putney Inn
57 Putney Landing Road, Putney, VT 05346   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Putney B&B and Inns
New Hampshire, USA
“Delicious, Fresh, Locally Sourced Food at the Inn Dining Room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

I went to the Putney Inn for lunch on a Saturday afternoon with a friend. The food was incredible, generous portions and locally sourced. We shared a sliced portabella mushroom, caramelized onion and red pepper with goat cheese wrap (served with hand cut french fries) and the BEST mac and cheese I've ever had. Our server was attentive and welcoming. The manager on duty was very generous and thoughtful. When I explained that my friend and I were both celebrating birthdays this month, he offered us a bottle of Moet champagne at a Prosecco price. The dining room was open and sunny, there is also outdoor seating on a porch. There isn't a view of rolling hills or anything, but the food was so good who cares. I didn't look at a room, so I can't comment on the rooms as other guests have.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

92 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

Putney Inn is showing some age. Staff friendly, food great, but some aging or inadequate infrastructure issues. Clean, good size room, but problems with WiFi up and down, cell signal disappearing, hot water issues, and worn carpeting. I hate it when you walk to the bathroom at night in bare feet and you step on that nail strip at the transition from carpet to tile. Very 'pointed' and 'sharp' awakening in the middle of the night! Actual Inn and grounds are nice enough, but. The highway nearby is sometimes noisy when you are outside trying to enjoy the countryside. Can't blame the Inn as I am certain they were there first. My stay was paid for so I really cannot comment on value. Nearby village of Putney is small, but looks very interesting. Be aware some of the more interesting places are seasonal or have limited hours this time of year. Be sure to check out the little pub at the edge of town near Landmark College. The night I had dinner there the table next to me filled up with fiddlers and it wasn't long before they had some fine music happening.

• Stayed March 2012
Keene, New Hampshire, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

I just had the most fabulous meal at this Inn...everything from the atmosphere, the soup, salad, entree, all excellent...service and the live smooth jazz. The bisque was tasty, the turkey baked to perfection, the cranberry sauce tart, the pumpkin bread great enough for two servings, salad had a wonderful lemon vinigerette dressing, apple stuffing was excellent- just wonderful!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
ShebaPutney, Manager at Putney Inn, responded to this review, March 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your dining experience with us here at The Putney Inn. We have a great new chef who has been creating some fantastic new culinary dishes and we have had several incredible responses like yours.

We welcome you to come to The Putney Inn again and thank you for your comments.

The Putney Inn Management
planet earth
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

The food here used to be superb. But the real kiss of death here is the lack of understanding public/customer relations. The Putney Inn captures the overall attitude of the Brattleboro area - like it or leave. After a botched anniversary party that cost us several thousand dollars (with not even a thanks for your business from the owner), we can not recommend this place to anyone who has lived outside of a turnip patch.

Room Tip: Manhattan would be my recommendation
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

When I learned I was booked into the Putney Inn in Vermont my mind conjured up scenes from "Holiday Inn". Sad to say my room looked more like a Motel 6. The main building which houses the offices, bar, restaurant and meeting rooms is inviting but it is like putting lipstick on a pig. My focus is where I am when I'm not in meetings or eating. The bed was uncomfortable, the TV nominally functional, and the bathroom inhospitable. I would caution anyone planning to stay at the Putney Inn.

Room Tip: If you're going to Southern Vermont you can do better.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Stayed again New Year's Eve (last visit was New Year's Eve 2 years ago)...and we were welcomed back like old friends. Our room this time was on the second floor, so no noise from anyone upstairs. The room had 2 queen beds, was neat and tidy. The only thing I would have wished for was a second arm chair as we are both readers and prefer to sit in a chair rather than flopping on the bed...but that was minor.

New Year Eve dinner was wonderful. There was a special wine list for the event, prices were reasonable. Food was excellent, especially when you consider serving a large number of people all around the same time.

We were there on the New Year's package, and the only oddity came when we were presented the bill. First, we were presented a bill for the dinner, which we should not have been since we were there on a package. When that was rectified, we paid cash for the wine, and for the gratuity (since gratuity was not covered under the package price). On checking out the next morning, the bottle of wine had been charged to the room. Guess the server thought that we were HUGE tippers....but when we explained that we had paid cash for the wine (along with the gratuity), they cheerfully removed it from the bill. And wished us a speedy return,

Breakfast was plentiful. The pumpkin bread is wonderful. All in all, we had nothing to complain about.

Room Tip: Have stayed on both first and second floor, and second floor is quieter. Ask for a room at either e...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Quinebaug, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011 via mobile

We were a last minute check-in with no reservations. They went out of their way to get us coffee, hot chocolate, and some of their famous pumpkin bread. The rooms, and buildings fir the rooms were a bit dated, but clean. The front desk and restaurant were quite nice. Worth the stop for the friendliness!

• Stayed November 2011

Been to Putney Inn? Share your experiences!