“great food and fabulous wine list” 4 of 5 stars

802-672-3811
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 3 restaurants in Plymouth
Cuisines: American
Description: Members of Vermont Fresh Network and recipient of the Wine Spectator Award since 2003. In the Hawk tradition of offering discriminating travelers something more, The River Tavern embraced this new popularity of culinary innovation. Today, the restaurant offers visitors to central Vermont some of the best dining available. Specialty dishes: Lobster Ravioli, Vermont Misty Knoll Farm Chicken, and Grass Fed Beef Sirloin. Enjoy Fireside Dining with a spectacular view of the Black River.
Plymouth VT
“great food and fabulous wine list”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We have eaten at River Tavern several times and have always found the food to be terrific. We have had the fish specials, the bolognese (which is awesome), the lobster ravioli, and the trout, and all were really good and everyone enjoyed their meal. The prices are also very reasonable for the quality of the food.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

42% Recommend
Jacksonville, Florida
“Over-priced and can be pretentious”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The setting of this restaurant is lovely, but the food doesn't match the prices. It could have a loyal following from its community, but doesn't seem to be able to deliver with any consistency.

Visited March 2012
Montville, New Jersey
“Great dinner in tranquil setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Everyone at our table of 4 loved their dinner. Lobster ravioli was perfectly cooked and delicious. Trout also fantastic. Service not great, but waiter was new and restaurant was very busy. Prices not out of line for area restaurants. Recommended.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Brewster, Massachusetts
“Deplorable”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

We stayed in a condo unit for 3 nights last week at the Hawk Inn with our 2 young children, and tried to treat ourselves to a nice dinner by getting "take out" from the River Tavern last Friday night after the kids went to bed. It is difficult to find the words to explain how awful the food was. We ordered two NY Strip steak dinners, for which we were charged over $80. One would expect a very nice cut of beef for this price. I could not tell you what cut of meat we were given, but it did not resemble or taste like any NY strip we've ever seen. It was tiny, sliced in half (?) and had a horrible texture and horrible taste - almost like microwaved meat that had freezer burn. The vegetables with it were bland and the "demi glaze" was absent. We threw the food away in the trash and ate Doritos for dinner (there is no where else nearby to get take out!). We were too tired and too disgusted that night to complain about the sub-standard food for which we grossly overpaid, but I did make note of it on our survey upon check-out and I also very kindly told the man at the desk at check out also - more in the form of constructive feedback - we weren't even looking for our money back - we just wanted someone to know how disappointing the food was. I was told afterwards by another worker there that the chef was on vacation... that at least explained part of the problem. I don't know what the food is like when the primary chef is there, but I sure hope it is many notches above what we were served. What a waste of $.

• Visited August 2011
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
cambridgeshire
“Disappointing experience, poor value”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

We went for dinner at River Tavern one evening a few weeks ago when we were on holiday in the area. We hadn't booked, and were given a slightly cold shoulder on arrival which made us feel rather awkward. We were given a table and a menu, and thereafter I have never had such swift service - but swift to the point of being rude! I have never before (in a paying environment!) had my plate snatched away from me so quickly after putting down my knife and fork. We just had the distinct impression that they wanted us to hurry up because they had done us the favour of squeezing us in! The service was peremptory and not at all friendly. The food was very expensive (I had a very ordinary pasta dish such as you would expect to get in any pasta-serving restaurant) but it was the price of something much more sophisticated. I ordered pumpkin pie afterwards because I assumed this should be something quite special in an expensive restaurant in the USA (home of pumpkin pie) but I am sad to say that I had to leave it because it was revolting and I just couldn't eat it. I am a great lover of pumpkin pie back home in the UK but this one tasted of everything artificial and was a worrying bright orange colour. I strongly suspected it had been bought in mass produced. We paid $120 for the meal which I thought was a terrible lot of money for the quality of food and service. I hate that feeling when you know you have been ripped off and have been daft enough to fall for it!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere