“Awesome” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Jaffrey, New Hampshire
“Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I have stayed at the Weathersfield two times and have loved it both times. The old owners and the new owners are great. The staff is great. The rooms are all great. We are not foodies but the food looked awesome. If you go there ask to see George. He is the cutest dog you will ever see. The area is quiet. Overall you can not go wrong staying here if you are in Vermont. Also the beds are the best I have ever slept on.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

A real treat. Rooms and room decor nothing special, but the common areas and dining rooms have a warm comfortable rustic New England feel. Our hosts, Marilee and Richard were gracious and helpful. But, what makes the Inn special is their Chef and food. Unbelievable! Simply wonderful, almost indescribable. Based on our two meals, Chef Jason is a one of a kind. Ingenious in his menu choices and use of local ingredients and matching wine choices. We would love to return for his cooking school and more fine dining.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not above the kitchen.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
South China, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My wife and I have stayed here on several occasions. Although it's a five hour drive for us, this place will never be too far for us. This recent weekend was with my mom, my sister and her husband and of course my wife, Dianne.

The new owner, Merilee and Richard, are showing the same love of the Inn as their predecessors. The grounds are meticulously maintained, the rooms are spotless and the beds are the best. We decided to get to the bottom of the bed and found a 4 inch memory foam pad that is a wonderful touch to an already super-comfy bed.

We had 3 rooms, Lincoln on the first floor for mom, Taftsville and Arlington just above. With a separate staircase to the top two rooms, we really did have the front end of the Inn to ourselves.

And then there's the food, the food, the food!! Friday night we had private dining in the "parlor" as there was a large bridal party in the main dining room. There are three menus this time of year, the "Tavern Menu", the "Vitality Menu" and the Chef's VerTerra Tasting menu. Over the course of two evenings, we sampled many of the selections, many of the exceptional wine choices and few after dinner drinks on the deck at the firepit after dinner.

Here's a few of the mouth-watering highlights: Kale soup with Maine Crab Lime Cream and Roasted Lemon. Chef Jason kicked up the normally bland kale into a wonderful and spicy blend that I opted to have on night two as well. Off the VerTerra menu I opted for the Chicken and Dumplings with Porcini Mushroom, Spinach and Rosemary. Presentation is impressive, taste was one notch above "lick the plate" good!

Jim and I had Farm house Veal Bolognese Pasta with roasted tomato, grated cheese and garden herbs. The Inn has its own garden and Chef can be seen selecting his herbs for the evening meals every afternoon. The Inn features meats and vegetable and other foods from many local artisans and farmers so the freshness shines through.

Mom, a 86 year old from the County, opted for Baked Stuffed whole Yam with sautéed kale sauce romesco. There wasn't a speck left on her plate and this single yam was a meal and a half! Paula had Chicken Under a Brick with Fennel and Broccoli Panzanella Bread Salad Sundry Tomato Emulsion. While these entrees obviously sound great, I've been to many restaurants where the clever names just don't match the quality...not so at the Inn where all meals are a gastronomic delight!

Breakfast is good but fairly limited. Perhaps the thought is that if you're a guest of the Inn, you probably packed away enough calories at the great dinner the previous night! I'd like to see omelets on the menu.

Room Tip: We get a big kick out of the rooms with the 5 shower head showers! We have enjoyed all the rooms we...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hoboken, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I attended a weekend at this BNB for a friend's wedding and it was outstanding. If you're considering this place for a wedding, I would highly recommend it.

The inn itself is very nice. The grounds are immaculate and I really enjoyed reading next to the pond with a glass of the inn's fresh lemonade. The inside is very well maintained. It's updated while maintaining the historical charm. The entire staff was very friendly and accomodating.

One of this inn's strengths is its food, both for breakfast and dinner. We had several meals at the inn but the dinners were phenomenal. I wish I lived nearby as I'd probably visit the inn just for dinner. They use locally grown food and you can tell. The food was fresh, well prepared and VERY delicious. Even something as simple as a salad was one of the best salads I've had. The best dish was the beef with garlic polenta.

For weddings, this weekend was perfect. The whole family stayed at the inn and it was a nice get together. The ceremony was in a small clearing in the forest. Rehearsal and Wedding dinners were on the patio by the firepit. All in all, we were impressed by everything and we know the bride was very happy at the end of the weekend. I'm getting married in 6 weeks and wish I had looked into this place.

The following comment is not a complaint nor will it prevent me from staying here again. It's just meant to help travelers pick a good room. We stayed in the Hammond room. The room was outstanding except for one little detail. The house is over 200 years old. The shower in this room is an old porcelain tub underneath a slanting ceiling. The slanting ceiling makes it very difficult to take a shower. I am 5'10" and I couldn't stand up without hitting my head. If you're over 5'6" (my fiance's height. She also had an issue), reserve a different room. You won't be able to stand up in the shower. Or you can do what my fiance did, and enjoy a bath in the porcelain claw foot tub. From what I understand, this is the only room with this issue.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful Inn. Super friendly service. Chef Jason was awesome. The chicken under a brick is insanely good. We spent the weekend there as a getaway weekend. Friday night music on the deck. Or sit on big front porch. Owners Richard and Merilee were very friendly. Would definitely recommend and plan to go again. Note need to drive for things to do.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Western Ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Brace yourself, this is going to be an extravagantly positive review: The Inn at Weathersfield is one of the most exceptional places I have ever stayed. It is a beautifully restored and maintained older building in Perkinsville, VT about six and half miles North of Springfield. It is easily reached off US 91 and is worth the journey from wherever you are. It has 12 rooms and my wife and I investigated several of them. Each was furnished with a flat screen TV, DVD and King or Queen sized beds which, judging by ours, are quite comfortable and in excellent shape. More impressive is the other furniture that appears in the room and adjoining bathroom from the claw foot tub, to the antique dresser and other appointments. On top of all this, the Inn features an informal atmosphere in which guests are encouraged to dress casually. There are fireplaces everywhere and the owners keeps them well supplied with wood.

When we arrived we were greeted by Richard Spanjian who with his wife, Marilee are the the owners/innkeepers. Richard checked us in and then took us on a tour of the establishment of which he seems justifiably proud. I was immediately struck by the ambience which is a combination of rural relaxation and sophisticated charm. Literally, within an hour of settling in I found myself completely at ease and relaxed. Time slowed, tension waned and pleasure waxed. We were only there for a single day, but we and our friends all felt it had been considerably longer. I argued for three days but the others, perhaps with a firmer grip on reality, settled on two.

Now there are other fine inns throughout New England and some may match this Inn in comfort and ambience, but none of them have the Spanjian's secret weapon: Jason Tostrup. Jason is a master chef who has won a range of accolades, but all that pales when you sit to table. We encountered one of the best, most original, tasty, and varied meals I have had in a rather long life. We were not the only ones impressed with his skill as the Inn has earned a well-deserved reputation as an exceptionally fine culinary inn recognized in a range of publications including this month's Yankee Magazine.

All the food is organic and prepared on site, including the pasta, and assorted exotica. The four of us are 'foodies' with good palates and considerable experience and we were simply delighted with the food and with the service. Liz, our server looked after all our needs in a friendly and efficient manner and she offered an excellent suggestion for our choices of wine ... and no, they weren't among the more expensive offerings. Jason came out during the meal to chat and to receive our obeisance. Jason appears to be a very poorly kept secret, as the cars kept coming in as the dinner hour approached. I heartily recommend dinner with a stay at the Inn. That accounts in part for the complete relaxation the experience affords, and it allows one a postprandial drink without any cares about driving.

As for breakfast, it paralleled the dinner. The two women had buckwheat crepes that they enthused about, my male friend had two cheddar and apple stuffed pancakes that I was able to try and they were scrumptious, as was my chef's special omelette. I asked if they had salsa and immediately Joe Lamson, their chef de-cuisine invented a very tasty salsa for me. Finally, sniff, we had to leave, but we shall return!

Room Tip: Not hard to get a good room. If you go to their website there are accurate photos and descriptions...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Warrington, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Just got back from a wonderful weekend at the Inn.
Atmosphere was peaceful and charming.
Service was exceptionally good and well above any place we have been to before.
The innkeepers and the staff did an amazing job in taking care of any of our needs.
Breakfast was 10 out of 10, and started every morning perfectly.
We were also lucky to be there when it snowed - BEAUTIFUL !
The location is was only 20 min from Okemo mountain, in which we skied (ski conditions were great!)

We will definitely come back to this lovely place.

Yoav & Hadar

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Inn at Weathersfield? Share your experiences!