“Disappointed, but I think they try hard.” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Disappointed, but I think they try hard.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I hate having to say negative things about nice people, but the whole idea of Tripadvisor is that we help each other by being honest.

I have to say that I was looking forward to visiting C & M, but my experience fell short of what I had hoped for. This was on a couple of counts.

Firstly, my wife and I were sat in a small booth, rather similar to the dining table on a train, next to the fireplace. This would probably have been nice except for the fact that we were completely hemmed in by a family party of six sat on a table that completely blocked us off. In fact, one lady had to leave her seat to allow us to get to our seats and then she was constantly disturbed every time our servers came to our table. So the seating arrangements were poor, which didn't get us off to a good start.

However, all the people in there were really nice, and our server Kayt, was a gem. She had a smile on her face the whole time.

However, her smile faded a little when we both had to send back our chicken because it was not cooked fully and had some raw meat inside, near the bone. They acknowledged the error and comped us coffee and dessert. I actually felt sorry for them because I really think that they are trying hard to run a good establishment. Perhaps it was an isolated instance, and we suffered absolutely no after-effects.

Apart from the raw chicken and the seating arrangement (which was more disturbing for the lady on the next table rather than us) we had no complaints at all. The food tasted nice and was well presented. However, I have to report my own experience. Sorry, C & M, but you need to up your game a little. You can't serve raw chicken!

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Norwich, Vermont
“Dualing Restaurants”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Disappointed that the consistency is not there. Sometimes they shine, sometimes they sink. Tonight they sank. Oysters on the half shell-warm, salad wilted, Duck confit delicious but the rest disappointing. Peach Crumble with Honey ice cream yummy, but not really special. A lot of money to wonder why it wasn't incredible!!
Delicious cocktails consistently. Leave it to the Norwich Inn to consistently serve a meal! They win tonight!

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Norwich, Vermont, USA
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I'm a local in the Upper Valley and absolutely love Carpenter & Main. Wonderful food and service always makes for a pleasant experience. The restaurant provides two different dining atmospheres -- a bistro and a more formal dining room. Both have the same menu and can be great depending on your group's needs. I often sit at the bar in the bistro area. The menu changes seasonally, with a few things as mainstays. I love to many of the things on the menu to name just one as my favorite, but right now I'm loving the Trout Meuniere. They also serve great cocktails and unique beer & wine. I routinely bring my visiting friends and family here.

Visited August 2013
Maine
“Great Food - Accommodating Service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We were in Norwich for our son's wedding and enjoyed a great meal at Carpenter and Main after the ceremony. While the dining room isn't huge the staff was very helpful and arranged the tables to seat all 25 of our party. They prepared a very nice menu for the event with choices to please anyone. I chose the chilled corn soup, Steak au Poivre and the Peach Crumble with honey mascarpone ice cream. My wife chose the lobster bisque, sauteed shrimp on angel hair pasta and the buttermilk panna cotta. Everything was delicious and nicely presented. The staff timed everything exceptionally well so we were all served each course at the same time. A memorable evening!

Visited July 2013
Randolph, Vermont
“Fine casual dining in a relaxed environment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

This restaurant has gone through a number of incarnations; the current one is by far the best. The food is delicious with both simple and elaborate menu items, the prices are reasonable, and the atmosphere is friendly and welcoming. One flaw, however, is no handicapped accessibility.

• Visited June 2013