“Even Better & More Reasonably Priced” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Norwich, Vermont
“Even Better & More Reasonably Priced”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Since my last visit, the chef/owner has combined the main restaurant and the bistro. We went on a Friday night and the place was packed, so reservations are recommended, especially at the weekend. The menu has been completely re-designed and a number of the signature but more expensive entrees, such as the rabbit, are no longer there. There are now some interesting, inexpensive morsels, in addition to the small plates (always reasonably priced), and large plates.

Since Friday night is seafood night, my friend ordered the grilled salmon with lentils and kale, while I ordered the halibut special with a delicious sauce, quinoa and carrot sticks. Both entrees were excellent, and we ended up splitting them in two and sharing them. Also on the menu that night was a heavenly oyster dish with leaks and spinach in a creamed sauce, a variation of the classic oysters Rockefeller. I could have eaten a dozen of these! Hot, homemade rolls rounded out our meal. An excellent house Chardonnay went well with both entrees.

We also split dessert, which included a fresh, lightly glazed fig, a nut cookie, and a delectable homemade, honeyed, ginger ice-cream. And new this time, coffee at the end of the meal was served in a French press.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

72% Recommend
Lyme, New Hampshire
“Much improved”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We haven't eaten in this restaurant in several years after some disappointing experiences there. We decided to try it again last night and were very pleased. My wife, a vegetarian, was very happy that there were several interesting options for her. The one she chose was very good. While I eat fish, I can't digest dairy, and the chef was very accommodating. The special cocktails were another treat. An altogether pleasant experience. We'll be back soon!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Greenwich
“loved the atmosphere of this restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I really enjoyed this place. We tried a few appetizers: I recommend the Moroccan meatballs and the pulled pork biscuits. I found the White Anchovy Crostini disappointing. The wine that was suggested to us (Malbec from Argentina) was really good and well priced. I had mussel provensal and it was fine (it is not spicy at all). My wife had salmon but it was a little overcooked. It was a very busy day with homecoming at Dartmouth. Service was excellent. The room was cozy (I read some reviews stating that it was too loud, that was not the case for us).

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Worcester, Massachusetts
“Underwhelmed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

An interesting menu but reality didn't quite match expectations. Had the veggie burger...it was quite a messy eat with consistency and color similar to raw ground beef. Just not what I expected, but reasonably tasty. My big complaint was that the room we ate in was just too loud to have a decent dinner conversation. I don't think I'd return here.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Norwich, Vermont
“Underwhelmed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Visited this restaurant last night for a intimate Bistro dinner with my hubby. Always prefer the Bistro over the dining room because it is less stuffy and usually a fun and interesting menu which is less expensive. Feel like the menu has grown so large that I really had a hard time grasping it. Only a few of the items were actually priced Bistro-ish, your regular Cheeseburger and Chicken Pot Pie, in the $14.00 range. Choose Oysters on the half shell with 3 sauces and Calamari. The sauces were different in appearance yet they each tasted pretty much the same, like wine vinegar. Calamari came as 8 small rings (two had tentacles)surrounding a fairly typical spicy thousand island type dipping sauce. We figured either they had run out of calamari and didn't want to let the dish go or they were perpetuating the "small serving" mindset. The breading on the calamari was really very good, a peppery, cornmeal crunch, wish there had been more to sample. My Hubby had a Salmon Hash with Poached Egg, I the Crispy Duck Confit with warm potato salad on a bed of mesclun salad with a mustard vinaigrette. The salmon dish was so small that I found my Hubby snacking on the kids leftover frozen dinner when we got home. My Duck Confit was delicious, cooked to perfection. The potato salad consisted of three small slices of warm potato on top of a small bed of mesclun. So happy the duck made up for the underwhelming dish base. My husband was so intrigued with the baked chicken on the menu, cooked under a brick. It was one of the most expensive entrees...... we didn't feel like shelling out the twenty some dollars for curiosities sack. We shared a dessert of warm Hazelnut custard that was small but delicious. Overall the quality of service was excellent, the atmosphere quaint and intimate, and availability of seating excellent. We both left wishing from all the different menu offerings we had just gotten a cheeseburger and fries. We will def. try this place again, I think it was an off night.

• Visited August 2012