“Surprisingly Great!!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
scubadiver3000
“Surprisingly Great!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This place was an utter surprise. There are not many restaurants to begin with in Northfield however if you are in town you have to stop by and try the food.

The beer was good but this is not your typical Irish Bar in a negative sense. The chef works hard at creating a great presentation.

I would highly recommend the place however it can be a little expensive hence the very good vs. excellent!

Visited March 2013

Montpelier, Vermont
“Not so great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Have eaten here on a few occasions, some good, some not so good. When we experienced the not so good we did let the proprietor know so that they could work on improving what we encountered, unfortunately the proprietor doesn't taken constructive criticism very well. He told me that I should have ordered it differently. He didn't really know what to say when I told him that's what his waitstaff recommended when I described to her how I wanted it cooked. Then went on to say that it continues to cook after it's served and "didn't know how long it was sitting there" In others words basically blaming me for it being overdone. Not once did he say "sorry, that your meal wasn't up to your standards and we will make sure this doesn't happen again. One other time, my meal was okay, but the two people I were with said that the french fries were cold and extremely greasy and the other person had the fish and chips and said that it wasn't very good, not like the normal quality that they serve. So he told them that the next time they come back and if they have a bad meal, he would buy it for them. Now first of all, who would come back if they had a bad meal to begin with and secondly, does one not understand that customer service is a crucial part of running a business?
So bottom line is that I have been a few times and the meal was fine and I have been a few other times and it was lacking quality and when you bring it to their attention they don't want to hear it. More often than not the service has not been great. We went in one night and the people sitting at the table next to us had been given a bunch of free appetizers because they had been waiting so long for their meal. That was before the 2nd owner left...he was the one responsible for comping the appetizers. Another time we both got our meal and I asked for a side of mayo for my sandwich. Twenty minutes later (after my husband was done) my mayo arrived.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Williamstown, Vermont
“Food is unbelievable!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have eaten at the "Shamrock" many times and have never been disappointed. The Irish fries are to die for!

Loveland, OH
“very good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Ate lunch there with my son. Had the cheese curds as my wife insisted they are the greatest thing on the planet. I didn't like them quite that much but they are very good as long as your not counting calories. Atmosphere is fun, service was great, my fish and chips were very good, will definitely go back every time I visit Norwich...

Boston, Massachusetts
“A must is you are in Northfield”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Wow, definitely order the meatloaf. Awesome atmosphere and the servers where wonderful. I can't say enough good things about this place

Visited December 2012