“What once was good is now mediocre...at best!!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 28 Restaurants in Newport
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Italian Cuisine-specializing in local products.03'04'05'09 Yankee Magazine, Editors Pick10/11 VT Vows preferred caterersChef owned
Derby Line, Vermont
“What once was good is now mediocre...at best!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Well, let me start by saying I have been frequenting Lago Trattoria since it opened roughly 10 years ago. When it started it was new, fresh, and for the first time since I remembered we had a truly exceptional restaurant in Newport, VT. Well, through the years prices have seemed to increase a fair amount, but the food quality has been really good. My favorite dish was the Wild Boar with pasta absolutely divine!! Unfortunately, that is not on the menu anymore, and that isn't the only thing that was lacking! My wife and I arrived at the restaurant at 6:30pm (which was when are reservations were for) and were seated promptly. My wife and I mulled over the menu. It was hard to decide because two of the things that I loved the most were gone; the wild boar with pasta, and the lamb chops. There were maybe 8 to 10 entree choices, all of which were very much overpriced. I decided on the Filet Mignon burger (code for overpriced burger) and my wife decided to have the house salad and an order of calamari (an appetizer normally, but she wasn't supper hungry). We also opted to share the night's special appetizer which was stuffed squash blossoms which were stuffed with crab and ricotta, breaded and deep fried. As always, there was nice bread with an EVOO and balsamic dipping sauce for the table. You can get as much as this as you want, and they don't charge. =) Anyways, we waited maybe 5 to 7 minutes for our squash blossoms. They were well prepared and quite tasty. However, you get 4 of them and for the $12 that the cost (which I found out after I got the bill) it was not enough food to warrant the price as they were extremely light and a couple of bites and they were gone. Not too long after we finished, my wife's salad came. She was happy with it and I had a bite and it was tasty. Not $7.00 tasty though. It amounted to a large handful of mixed baby greens with halved grape tomatoes, tossed in a balsamic vinaigrette, topped with shaved ricotta (strange huh) and candied walnuts. Once again, it didn't taste bad, but it was overpriced. Now came the wait. We waited, and waited, and waited. We actually waited at least 45 minutes from the time we ordered our meals to the time they reached our table. Luckily, our waitress was attentive and came back fairly often with more bread and drinks and apologized for the wait. Our meals arrived and when I saw mine, I was quite disappointed. Everything was OK up to this point except for the high prices. My burger came to me on a bamboo cutting board and it appeared to be on an English muffin. Upon closer inspection, it was actually a Portuguese muffin.(something I rather like, WITH MY BREAKFAST!!!) It also sported a slice of melted asiago cheese and caramelized onions. The "handcut fries" that this was suppose to come with amounted to a cup size of the SMALLEST fries I have ever seen. These made McD's fries look gigantic. I love fries, but these were almost inedible. The were so small and crunchy that they were closer to potatoe sticks that you buy in a can, rather than fries. As for the burger. It tasted pretty good, but the "bun" was such a bad idea. Not something you would expect a $15 burger to come on! I have ordered burgers from the 99 that were MUCH more tasty, they came with REAL fries, and they are half the price. My wife's calamari came, and it was the same as it always as been. Lightly breaded, fried, and overpriced. To sum it up, what once was my favorite restaurant, has now become a place that I probably wouldn't even recommend anymore. The atmosphere is loud with very little privacy, the food is extremely overpriced, the menu selection is pitiful at best, and the wait for our meals was unacceptable since the place wasn't even full. The only good experience we had was me had a very friendly and attentive waitress. All in all, I think this will be my last visit to Lago Trattoria. They had a good thing going, but like so many others, they have declined with time.

• Visited July 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Vermont
“Friendly and a good meal in Newport.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

We travelled a long way and were not disappointed. Service was excellent and helpful with food choice selections. The beef was local and great but a bit pricey. Risotto was unusual and very plentiful. A lovely place to spend an evening, especially walking around the waterfront.

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Massachussets
“Blah!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

Went to Lago for dinner and ordered the linguine with seafood, tossed in garlic and oil, I also ordered a side of the marinara sauce as the last time I ordered this dish, it was quite dry. My husband had the special Mahi Mahi. Ughghg. The fish just disintegrated and had no flavor, just a soggy tasteless mush, the potatoes were nice though, and my dish was more boiled than fried - nothing had any flavor and was sooo dry. Such a shame. The first time we went to Lago's a couple of years ago, it was fine, has been declining but this is a new low, will definitely not be going back. The service was good though, very nice friendly, helpful waitress.

• Visited June 2011