“Great place and great hostess” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Little Gnesta B & B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newport
Little Gnesta B & B
You added Little Gnesta B & B to your Saves list
115 Prospect St., Newport, VT 05855   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Newport B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Essex, Vermont
“Great place and great hostess”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

I've been meaning to write this review for quite awhile. My family is Swedish, so I was randomly searching for restaurants nearby that might serve Scandinavian-style food when I came across the Little Gnesta website. Imagine my surprise to find an entire B&B devoted to Swedish style, simplicity and comfort less than 2 hours from my house. My wife and I traveled to Newport in January and stayed in the Umea room. As the only guests at the time, we had plenty of time to talk with Ruth, who is a very entertaining conversationalist and a wonderful host. Ruth largely remodeled and decorated the B&B by herself, and did a fantastic job. The rooms are all tastefully decorated and immaculate. Our bathroom was especially neat and stocked with various shampoos and washes, many made locally in Newport. Her breakfast was also authentically Swedish, with delicious local cheeses, yogurts, breads and her homemade granola. With Netflix, a well-stocked library and an extremely comfortable Carpe Diem bed (I'd go back again just for that!) we easily could have stayed all weekend in the house, but Ruth gave some great recommendations of places to see both in Newport and beyond. We walked around the downtown and ended up driving to the Parker Pie Co. in W. Glover for dinner - a great place if you like pizza and/or craft beer.

This review sounds so effusive, I wouldn't blame you if you thought the owner wrote it! But truly we had a great time and will definitely be back on our next trip to the NEK.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I travel for work and stay in hotels usually, but I stayed here for a work trip. And it was one of my favorite trips! The owner, Ruth, was so friendly and welcoming. She would suggest excellent local restaurants (which were all within a couple minutes' walking distance). Every morning she had a spread of local & delicious cheeses, meats, artisan breads, and my favorite--the blackberry apple butter! The bathroom was stocked with locally made soaps (a hand soap from The Aging Hippie, which I want to smell all day long), indulgent shampoos & conditioners (from Jon Somes). I was there during the winter, and my room was well-heated. It was nice to feel at home on a business trip. I will definitely be back very soon!

-Jennifer @The Dragon People, Chickamauga, Ga

Green Features: Ruth recycles and also supports locally made products that are created with an environment friendly conscience.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Ipswich, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

Ruth takes as great care of her guests as she does her home. Centrally located, but just off the main st in Newport, Ruth knows about everything going on in town. Stayed there to ski Jay peak and it was only about a 20 min ride.Would stay again or recommend to others

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

My host, Ruth, was very welcoming and full of knowledge of the area and the state. My room was perfect, very comfortable and breakfast was a treat - local cheeses, yoghurt and breads. Walking distance to the downtown restaurants and very quite location.

I would consider this in the future as a base for cycling trips and skiing.

Green Features: Ruth follows many green practices, composting, lighting as well as friendly renovations and building materials (upgrading instead of replacing for example)
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Ruth runs a great B&B in the heart of Newport, VT. The rooms are immaculate, the place is spotlessly clean, and her hospitality is wonderful. Each of the 4 rooms has a charming Swiss quality, many with authentic furniture and fittings. The entire B&B is outfitted with the highest quality fixtures, furniture and floors--and believe me when i say it is spotless! No matter what you want to do in the VT's Northeast Kingdom--ski, sled, skate, snowshow--you can do it from here.

Room Tip: Ask for the big room upstairs. The biggest of the four is downstairs but in the front of the buildi...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Title says it all. Stayed at Little Gnesta with family in December for a long weekend at Jay. Our rooms and the common area were immaculately clean and Ruth was a gracious host. Breakfast before hitting the slopes was a highlight.

Noodle (our cockapoo) had a blast with Phil too!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Swanton, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

My partner and I recently visited Newport and stayed at the Little Gnesta. Our trip was delightful. Ruth, our host, and her little buddy Phil (a pooch) were very welcoming and accommodating. Ruth has a tremendous amount of information on activities in and around Newport. Our room, the Are, was large and bright with a ton of open space. The bed was very comfortable and everything was very clean and fresh. I liked the selection of all natural/organic toiletries in the bathroom.
Breakfast was perfect. It consisted of organic local yogurt, granola, three types of cheeses, ham and turkey, and a very good bread selection.
All together, it was a wonderful weekend getaway and plan on returning this summer. Can't wait !

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Little Gnesta B & B? Share your experiences!