“Home-like gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of High Hill Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montpelier
High Hill Inn
265 Green Rd, Montpelier, VT 05651   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Montpelier B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Budapest, Budapest, Hungary
“Home-like gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

After travelling through 2 states and staying in various inns I was happy to realize we'll be staying at someone's actual home.
The room we stayed in was clean, small, but with great view and excellent mattress. There was a shared bathroom, but we never had to wait. All toiletries provided were organic.
I especially liked walking barefoot on the thick carpets that covered the floor.
Our hosts were wonderful and so was the organic food we got for breakfast. Scones were particularly devine.
The directions Ann-Marie gave us were very useful and accurate.
The only recommendation I would give is to put out a sign that says "High Hill Inn" to help travelers realize they are at the right place when arriving in dark.

• Stayed October 2013

112 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This was an awesome place to stay in Vermont, during the peak Fall Foliage week. The Hill house Inn was Immaculate. The property was beautiful. We rested very well in the 2 rooms with shared bath. Ann Marie & Joe were the best hostess & host !!! The absolute best breakfast I ever had at a B & B. The Small farm that have is just wonderful. I cannot say enough good things about our experience @ the Hill House Inn I Plan on returning in June of 2014.I will the stay in the Loft suite, which also is lovely. In fact I look at the mountain view room and it was just beautiful, can't wait to return. Mary Beth Cleveland , Ohio.......... Nancy St. Paul MN.

Room Tip: A little difficult to find if you do not have GPS. Best to find before dark. Great place to stay i...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed at the High Hill Inn for seven nights in October 2013 on our first visit to Vermont. We chose this Inn initially based on its central location and online reviews and couldn't have made a better decision. When researching our vacation, we soon realized that finding any room for seven consecutive October nights in Vermont was going to be a challenge, but Ann-Marie worked to accommodate us if we were willing to change rooms a couple of times which actually added to our experience.
After meeting and chatting with Ann-Marie and her husband Joe, you soon realize that operating this Inn is not something they 'have' to do, it is something they 'choose' to do, and that is reflected in how they treat their guests. The surroundings are beautiful, the house very cozy and comfortable but it's the personal touch that leaves the greatest impression. The fresh baked scones waiting upon arrival or at the end of a long day travelling, the unforgettable, cozy scent of natural candles each time you enter the front door, the genuine interest in how your day went and what you did, the suggestions for restaurants and points of interest to enhance your vacation experience, the opportunity to view and interact with farm animals right on the property and the unique ability of Ann-Marie & Joe to make you feel so at home, while at the same time, respecting that you are on vacation and allowing you space within their home and the freedom to come and go as you please. Breakfast time was not only memorable for the large portions, but the opportunity to meet and interact with new guests as Ann-Marie & Joe spoiled us with home-cooked, organic breakfast creations, designed to ensure variety.
I chose the the road leading to the Inn, lined with the beautiful colours of the fall foliage, as the location for our engagement, so it will always be a special place to us. But not only did we make memories, we left feeling like we had made friends. Thank you Ann-Marie and Joe for making our stay at your home unforgettable. Yvonne & Ed St. John's, Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada

Room Tip: For us, all rooms were great. The loft was was unique and the room facing the front a tiny, tiny bit...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed at the High Hill Inn for a night in October 2013 and thoroughly enjoyed it. The house itself is really nice, and the views are remarkable. The room was a good size and very comfortable and Ann-Marie and Joe really are excellent hosts.

They made us feel very welcome, were full of suggestions on places to go in Montpelier and produced a great breakfast. Joe even topped up the air in our tires when the rental car gave us a warning light! They really will go out of their way to be friendly and helpful. Thank you!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
East Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

If there is a better B&B than this in New England I would be amazed. There is so much about the High Hill Inn to praise but best of all are the hosts Ann Marie and Joe. They could not have been more hospitable and their tips and help about what to see and do and where to eat made our stay here most memorable.

We stayed for two nights toward the end of our tour of New England. We booked the loft room which was perfect for us, spotlessly clean and with a very comfortable bed. Getting up into the loft apartment is a bit quirky but we liked that. The inn is located on its own secluded large spot with lovely views across to the Green Mountains. We spent several hours each day sitting on the porch in rockers just soaking up the perfect relaxing atmosphere. Ann Marie and Joe looked after us so well, booked restaurants for us and tipped us off to see the State House which is amazing. (Without their help we wouldn't have got to know about that.)

The breakfast was terrific, all freshly cooked and prepared with great wholesome ingredients and local produce. No wonder they are pretty well fully booked most of the time. If we are ever up this way again we will definitely want to stay here. Hope to see you again.

Thankyou, Keith and Jill.

Room Tip: All the rooms look good but the loft room is private and we liked the quirky feel.
Green Features: AA++++ They are extremely conscious of the environment and healthy food.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Garden Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We went to Vermont for the first time for a friend's wedding. We decided to stay at a Bed and Breakfast instead of a hotel. We were very happy when we found Joe & Ann Marie's B & B. We were able to get the Mountain View King Room. It was nicely appointed and had a wonderful view of the surrounding hills. It was nice to sit and look out over the grounds and see horses and deer roaming around. Our room had a nice king size bed and a large bathroom with a jacuzzi tub. Breakfasts are yummy. Ann Marie makes a wonderful frittata. Both Ann Marie & Joe are wonderful hosts and they made our trip very enjoyable. Thank you Joe & Ann Marie for making our first visit to Vermont great. Hope to be back next year when the leaves are in full fall colors. Renee & Tony

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My husband and I recently visited Vermont so I could meet his family, and we found this amazing B&B while we were searching for places close to his parents house. Below is an account of our full experience:

1. When I first called to make our reservation, I spoke with Anne-Marie. We ended up having close to a 30 minute conversation on top of making our reservation because she was just so friendly and easy to talk to. I mentioned that I just married into the Morse Family (of Morse Farm Maple Surgarworks fame), and it was so neat to hear that she knew and loved the farm and the people there. That immediately got me excited for the trip.

2. We first arrived around 4pm and were greeted by Joe and Anne- Marie. They immediately made us feel at home and helped us settle into our top floor apartment.

3. We ended up staying for a total of 3 days during peak foliage season, and the view from the top floor room was spectacular. Every morning they greeted us with fresh brewed coffee and a home cooked breakfast. What I really loved about the place was the fact that they have a bunch of animals on the property. Ann-Marie would let me help her feed the goats, chickens, and horses. I was in heaven!

4. We stayed in two rooms during our stay: the 3rd floor apartment and the king suite. What we loved about the top floor apartment was the fact that there was a lot of space to spread out. I tend to wake up a few hours before my husband during vacations, and I could get around without having to worry about waking him up. The king room was our favorite though. My husband and I are both very tall, so we usually do need a king bed to really get comfortable. The large soaking tub in that room was amazing as well - definitely helped with relaxing.

5. What I loved most of all was Ann-Marie and Joe. They really made us feel at home. I know some of the other posters talk about how weird it is to stay at a B&B that's also the home of the proprietors, but I don't understand why that would be a draw back. They're both friendly, personable, and genuinely care about making you feel comfortable during your stay. They'll go out of their way to make that happen. I witnessed them putting two other guests in touch with someone they hadn't seen since their childhood, and they made breakfast for all of them. IT WAS THE COOLEST THING.

I'm staying here every damn time I come to Vermont. I want good people like Ann-Marie and Joe to stay in business for years to come, and I'm more than happy to help support that. You should feel the same way.

Don't forget to swing by the Morse Farm while you're in the area ;)

Room Tip: The room with the king bed, or the 3rd floor loft with the queen.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to High Hill Inn? Share your experiences!