“Not worth the money” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Montpelier
Hardwick, Vermont
“Not worth the money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I stayed there because my husband was in CVH recovering from a mild heart attack. Horrible greeting from the get go. Pool was not operational, door to my room barely shut and looked like it had been kicked in a few times and listened to the water in the faucet dripping all night. I would have been better off sleeping in my car or the waiting room!!M

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Stratford, Connecticut, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I don't get why people who book a one star hotel think they're going to get a 4 diamond resort. My husband and I stayed there for 2 nights recently, and for the price we paid, it was just fine. Yes, it's old and outdated, but you get what you pay for. Everyone should shop around and do some research before they book a hotel. If you do, you will rarely be disappointed. If you're used to superior resorts, don't book this place. If you're just looking for a bargain that's convenient to the local attractions, this place is ok.

Room Tip: This hotel is in a good location and easy to find and you get what you pay for
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dusseldorf, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

1960 revisited only because they have not updated this motel since it was built. They try to keep it clean but their staff is poorly trained. My wife, granddaughter and I arrived late, about 8 Pm. The Desk clerk was busy but pleasant. The first indicator of the lack of update was the metal key on the plastic holder. WE got to our room to find the only table lamp[ bulb burnt ou\t, one of the two ceiling lights burned out with just the wall sconce and the entry light operating. I took the bulb down to the desk and after a few minute the clerk said they would send one up. Never happened. When I arrived back in the room I noticed what seemed to be a third ceiling fixture wrapped in a towel and shoved back into the hole. A bit concerned we inspected and found it to be the smoke alarm. I mentioned all of this in the morning and the on-site manager gave me a ten percent discount. I mentioned that if their cleaning staff were trained to inspect the rooms this would not happen. Still we will not return. Somethings just get old including the spring mattresses.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
McLean, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

On July 15, 2013, my wife and I stayed at Hilltop Inn. We were very disappointed with the amenities. There was no hot water on the evening of our stay as well as on the following morning. The hotel said that the problem would not be fixed for a few days. We were never offered a discount or a change of locations. The only place to sit in the room was on the bed. No chair was in the room. The hotel staff had to look for a while to find one to give my wife (who has medical problems) to sit in. The toilet lid was broken. There was a crack in the sink. The hotel staff was not very accomidating and we were extremely disappointed with our stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
LaBelle, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed here one night only because we wanted to go to Downtown Montpelier for some sightseeing and then off to Stowe. The rate was very good, we only spent $77 for the night, however, I had to clean the bathroom before I would use it. The shower had a shampoo and body was dispenser attached to it that hadn't been cleaned in weeks. The sink was dirty as was the mirror. At that point all I could think of was "did the bed have bed bugs?". The bed cover was stained and looked dirty. The bed was comfortable and we did sleep well. When we first walked into the side entrance from the outside, the hall reeked of cigarette smoke. The TV remote was missing, we told the front desk and her response was "yeah, we can't ever find it". This hotel is Ok but bring cleaning solution with you!

Room Tip: I'm afraid that the only way to get a good room at this "Inn" is to bull doze the plac...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Minot, North Dakota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I do agree with Joan B that the bed and bath were clean and comfortable, but it is a bit challenging when you don't have a lamp anywhere near the bed, and the room décor is a confused mixture of 5 decades with oversized furnishings. It's just a tired old place that truly has great potential if they'd just invest in it. The pool is in need of a serious shock of chlorine to make the green go away. The air/heating unit worked beautifully though and provided the perfect white noise for a good night sleep. Hopefully management/ownership will realize this is 2013 and they are dealing with a travel savvy clientele who are looking for a fresh update look.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed here for one night due to a family funeral and needed a place to stay. The rate is reasonable. Paid 75.11 for one room with 2 queen beds. Was suppose to get a AAA discount, but it wasn't applied and I didn't care at that point. When we first walked into the side entrance from the outside, the hall reeked of cigarette smoke. The smell followed us upstairs to our room, which was a non-smoking room. Since we had the door open for 10 minutes or so, the smoke detector began to beep. Told front desk clerk, who said she would call maintenance to change the battery. Asked for a different room that wasn't in a smoke environment, but they didn't have one. The bathroom was gross, dirt and mold around the base of the toilet, dirty floor, faucet looked like someone spit toothpaste and it wasn't cleaned, tub floor was old and gross looking. The shower is for shorter people. Did get hot water though. Fan very loud.There was a hole in one of the walls and you could see the stains on the walls. The iron was crusted over. The bed cover was stained and looked dirty. The tv was not central to the beds. The window and mirror were dirty. Basically the room was dirty. A little extra care in washing the room, entirely, would have helped. Positives: the beds were comfortable and there was a small refrigerator, even though the inside was dirty, and microwave in the room. Earplugs were helpful, since we were on street side and noise from the trucks was loud in the morning. In a pinch, it was ok. Just bring flip flops and disinfectant or don't touch anything.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hilltop Inn? Share your experiences!