“I would go for the dinner rolls alone!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dessert
CAPE PORPOISE
“I would go for the dinner rolls alone!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

My friends and I had dinner here over the weekend, and it was the first time I had been here in about 35 years. It was as good as I remember. The food is not fancy, but it is tasty and plentiful, and the prices are amazing. I had the hot dogs and beans for $5.95. The beans were homemade and delicious, and the Parker House rolls that are served with the dinners were amazing...warm and yeasty. I could have made a meal on just those. The other high point was the dessert....maple pie with whipped cream. That was just plain yummy! I hope I won't wait another 35 years before going back to the Wayside.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

San Antonio, Texas
“Good Food Fast Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Ate here 5 times. Food was consistently good. Home made rolls. Lots of local people eating here. Good variety of food. Lots of choices of sides. Liked the mashed winter squash. Daily special of fried oysters was excellent. Opens early at 6:30 am for breakfast. They were well organized and well managed. Handled busy times with lots of customers very well. Lots of desert choices. The beef vegetable pasta soup gets special mention. It was excellent. Other dishes I tried that were good and specials of the day; baked haddock & fried oysters.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Eat during the week to avoid huge crowds!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

The roast beef was perfectly prepared and served hot with au jus that was seasoned to my taste and delicious. The whole fried clam appetizer was sweet and huge. I enjoyed it so much I went to lunch the next day. I was blown away by the ham lunch and the attentive and friendly waitress, I had to over tip. I'd say this is a must try when in Montpelier. I suspect that the weekends would have lesser service, judging by the full parking lot Monday and Tuesday

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Muncy, Pennsylvania
“Great Hot And A Lot Family Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

We have friends who sometimes characterize a restaurant in a not so nice manner by calling it a hot and a lot joint. They need to visit the Wayside and I will wager they will never use that phase in a negative manner again.

Simply put at the Wayside you get good food at a good price and you won't go away hungry. On our last trip to Vermont, we stopped by two times for breakfast. I had eggs, hash, home fries, and homemade wheat toast. All were done to perfection and served up in a courteous prompt manner. Now it was not homemade hash but it was prepared by frying and had a wonderful crust. I think the cost was less than six dollars.

It's a great home style restaurant where the entire family can find something to their taste and you can be hero by picking up the tab. It won't empty your wallet

My only regret is I did not stop by for dinner and order a $5 Bombay Sapphire Martini and have the special of the day.

Visited October 2013
Burgess, Virginia
“Good old fashion homemade food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

VWhat a nice experience. The restaurant has been around since 1918 and it still serves home style food at very reasonable prices. Most of their items are under $10.00. Having said that, if you leave hungary, you really weren't trying because they use large plates and fill them up. Get there early if you don't want to end up on a wait list.

• Visited September 2013