“would stay here again” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Montpelier
Newport, Vermont
“would stay here again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2004

Clean, friendly staff, good continental breakfast, very easy access to I-89. I had business at Norwich University in Northfield and found it easy to get there from this hotel, just a 15 minute ride. There is an Applebee's next to this hotel, a grocery store and a Staples just across the street.

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2004

I often stay at the Comfort Inn when I'm working at the nearby hospital. There's nothing special about it, but it isn't terrible. They provide bottled water, coffee maker, and iron/ironing board in the room. Some of the staff are unpleasant, but most are nice, especially the people on overnight. The continental breakfast has improved since I've started staying there. It used to be all pastries and carbs, now there are hardboiled eggs. The beds aren't great, the pillows are lumpy, but the rooms are clean. It's not great, it's not terrible. I wouldn't stay there while on vacation, because it really is no frills. There is an Applebee's within walking distance. The walls are thin, and during one stay I had to ask staff to tell the people in the hall to please be drunk in their room, I was trying to sleep. They did, so I have no complaints about that.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2004

This was the worst experience at a hotel ever. The staff was not friendly or helpful at all. The room smelled of B.O. The light switches did not activate anything. The bed was rock hard. There was a dumpster right outside our window and there were staff members banging stuff into it all night and very early in the morning and parking directly outside our window ands speaking very loudly. They have an "open lounge until midnight and drinks available until 2 am" so there were plenty of drunks up late in the halls and making noise in the halls at all hours.
By their appearance at the lousy "continental breakfast", all of the guests had a terrible night's sleep. Check out staff did not seem to care that we had a bad experience. I will tell everyone I know to avoid this place.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2002

During check in a the front desk, the little girl, wearing an old red sweatshirt with a crooked name tag, and sporting a ponytail and braces, was supposed to be the head front desk clerk for the evening; she was unable to tell me where the town green- she, with a snotty smirk, said she didn,t know what a "green" was. She didn't offer to take our luggage or take us to our room, or even point us in the right direction. As we yanked our luggage up the stairs (if there was en elevator, it's a secret) and searched for the room. We opened the door and almost fell over from the smell. The water was undrinkable and there were at least 12 flies swarming around the room. Brace face back at the front desk FLATLY REFUSED to give us another room, or even check availability. When I asked her to send up water(believe me the water was horrid)she said no. Buy yourself some water if you want water. She then refused to send up bug spray or even air freshener. The comfort inn policy states I should not be charged for the room. HA

Been to Comfort Inn at Maplewood? Share your experiences!