“Great location, but older property” 4 of 5 stars

Capitol Plaza
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   100 State Street, Montpelier, VT 05602   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Montpelier
Dallas, Tx
“Great location, but older property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

Great location in small city of Montpelier - nearly across the street from Capitol building. Obviously an old building remodeled for today's customers. Elevator is extremely small and traffic on city street (unbelievable at 4 in the morning that there was any traffic) can be heard even on 3rd floor. Staff was very nice, bedding very confortable, and small lobby was welcoming with nice fire in fireplace. Dining next door was good, fast, and convenient. Bathrooms were adequate, but not fancy. Smallest bottles of shampoo and conditioner I have even seen. If two people in room, need to be careful to save enough for second person.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Ballston Spa, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

My boyfriend and I traveled here for business. Before arriving, I checked the ratings on TripAdvisor. The hotel was already booked, so after reading the negative reviews, we didn't have much of a choice but to stay at the Capitol Plaza. The man at the front desk, didn't have the best customer service skills, however, he was friendly enough. The ladies at checkout were friendly and attentive.

I thought the hotel was charming, it was clearly an older hotel, as I thought it was. Our room was clean and so was the rest of the hotel. I liked how the shampoo, conditioner and lotion were bath and body works! The bed was also extremely comfortable! I am not sure why this hotel has such negative reviews, because I thought my stay was enjoyable, and I would defiantly come back!! While their was an "older" smell to the hotel, it was expected, because the hotel is so old. It is conveniently located, and has a steakhouse/bar connected to the hotel. The staff at the steakhouse were extremely friendly and we really enjoyed their company; we felt at home! The town was adorable, yet small.

I would definitely recommend this hotel. Do not believe all the negative reviews! Our stay was wonderful!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Hanover, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2010

I picked this hotel to stay at because I happened upon it first after deciding to stay in Town an extra day to look around rather than driving home after a conference. When pulling into the parking lot, the hotel did seem a bit worn out but they had availability so I stayed. The checkin desk area was small but tidy and the front desk clerk was nice with me. When I walked into the hallway where my room was located, it had a dingy feel to it. The rooms, and the hotel itself could use some sprucing up to make it a happier place to be in. I found the toilet not well cleaned and felt the room needed a major intensive cleaning especially under beds and behind furnishings. After moving a lamp it was clear that the lamp had not been cleaned under in quite a while. While the front desk person made me feel comfortable there, I was generally not satisfied with the Capitol Plaza. The Hotel needs work and some investment to make it nicer.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

We hoped at least to have a nice room while in Montpelier for a recent weekend and styaed overnight at Capitol Plaza. We were much disappointed as we found the room and hotel itself,, to be a much older hotel than the photos appear. One of our kids found a huge spider hanging in the bathroom and the faucet leaked continuously. We were not impressed particularly with the rate we paid for such a terrible old place. Next time in Montpelier, we will absolutely look for a different place to hang our hat for the night.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Saratoga Springs, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

We decided to travel Vermont this summer and again stayed at Capitol Plaza this year. We were a bit surprised how things deteriorated since last year (or maybe we didnt see everything last year. We had a room that was musty smelling but of course it was rather hot outside which may have contributed to this. Th rug seemed like a million people had walked on it and the odor of feet was faint but definitely there. We asked for another room which wasnt much better. Next summer we will stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

This was our first time in Montpelier so we didnt know the best place to stay. We stopped at the Capital Plaza and got a room as it looked decent enough from the outside in spite of the fact that it was an older looking building.

We were not impressed with the condition of the rooms. They need much better care than they get. They also need to be better aired out to remove the odors in the air.

Staying here was rather depressing and we left early the next morning.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
North Andover, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

This hotel was booked for me via work. We were surprised at the serious lack of hotels in the capital city so there were few choices. Having never been there, I went in blindly.

The hotel itself was definitely old but from the appearance of the lobby, it seemed at least decent. We were not impressed with the rooms very much. They could use some remodeling and new carpets. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Price paid by my work was more than I would have paid after seeing the rooms first.

We'll look for more modern conference facilities for the near future.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to Capitol Plaza? Share your experiences!