“Very Classic and Clean” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Montpelier
COURTICE
“Very Classic and Clean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed her over night on our way to Maine. This hotel has Clean well deorated rooms all differnt. the staff was very helpful and friendly. We would recommend this hotel to anybody staying in this area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
VermontTravelfamily, Manager at Capitol Plaza, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear BIGDEB,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I'll be sure to share it with our housekeepers and our staff. Hope the rest of your trip to Maine was perfect.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

This is a unique old hotel in downtown Montpelier - the hotel has office space, retail and restaurants and this is an old hotel. The hotel has been renovated but you can tell this hotel has been across from the capitol for a while. The hotel is very clean and well appointed, they even provide chocolates on the pillow! The room is average size but has a very comfortable bed a nice well lite bathroom and a comfortable chair to relax in.

The best feature of this hotel is its location, it is across the street from the movie theatre, the history museum and capitol and a short walk to downtown. There is plenty of parking in the rear. To me, this is probably the best hotel in town. However, the choices seem pretty limited.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
VermontTravelfamily, Manager at Capitol Plaza, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Dear Crapsguy,

Thank you for staying with us and for your review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay. I will share your positive review with our staff, especially the housekeeping department, who work very hard to provide a clean and comfortable experience.

We look forward to seeing you again.
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

As you can see from my title, I debated between giving the Capitol Plaza an "average" or "very good" rating. I recently stayed here for two nights on a business trip. One of the pros of this hotel is that it's in a great location. Although Montpelier is a very small state capitol, Capitol Plaza is within walking distance to some bars and restaurants. The hotel also has a bit of an "old charm" to it, but, overall, it's a bit tired. But, I must say, the workers were very friendly.

Also, my room was relatively clean, but nothing outstanding. And, even though I received a business discount, I still think the price for the hotel is a bit high.

I would stay here again, but mainly because there are few other options.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I stayed here for business in July. There's not much to select from in Montpelier so if you don't want to stay in a B&B then there are very few options. The Capitol Plaza was nice- the front desk was friendly, the food in the steakhouse was very good, and I liked the free flavored water they had in the lobby. The downsides are the "business center" is really just a computer and ink jet printer in the lobby, the rooms are nothing special (and mine overlooked the back parking lot), it is unclear whether they offer room service or not (no menu in the room and I was told no but then I saw drinks being delivered to a room one night) which is a huge minus to someone traveling for business, and the shop in the lobby only sells trinkets and not little snacks or things one might need while on a trip. The downtown is tiny so of course the hotel is in a good location. It is a pleasant walk to local restaurants.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
VermontTravelfamily, Manager at Capitol Plaza, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Numero10,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing what you enjoyed and what you would like to see added.

I'm glad you liked the little touches such as the flavored water in the lobby.

We do offer full-service room service in the hotel. The menus are in the desk drawer along with the hotel and area information booklet. We do understand the importance of room service.

For convenience, there are soft drink and snack machines on the guest room floors.

There are some items guests might need in the gift shop, such as ties and umbrellas. Toothbrushes and other amenities are available at the front desk.

I do like your idea of offering other snacks in the gift shop. Honestly, because of the room service, snack machines, and full convenience store next door, we never thought about adding them to the git shop. Now I will look into adding some to our gift shop.

Thank you for your recommendation.
Ajax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

The hotel is in the heart of this smallest capital city of the US and I imagine is used to accommodating travelling government on expense accounts. Our suite was adequate for the $220 we paid except for the ultra modern sink in the bathroom that was interesting but useless for its intended purpose.

We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant (J. Morgan's) which is somewhat overpriced, a pork chop special was $27. I was paying by credit card and I checked with our waiter that he would get the tip if I added it to my card. He assured me that he would and I proceeded to look at the bill. It was then that I noticed that a 20% gratuity had already been added.

I believe the onus is on the restaurant to inform customers of this practise before they are seated. If I had not noticed the 20% added to the bill the waiter would have gladly taken the extra.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Frankly speaking the only reason to stay here is its location. It's very tired, room smelled stale and AC unit kept waking us up as it cycled on an off. Fancy soap on the bathroom doesn't make up for these basic needs.

• Stayed August 2013
VermontTravelfamily, Manager at Capitol Plaza, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Paul,

Thank you for staying with us and your review.

We do not rely on just location. We strive to provide the highest level of service, updated hotel rooms with fresh white down bedding, and modern amenities such as the keurig coffee maker and flat screen tvs.

We have had an unseasonably warm and rainy summer, which has resulted in the air conditioning units running constantly. We believe that is what is causing the stale room smell when you first enter. We are addressing this issue by opening up the windows (hopefully the cooler days will blow fresh air through), and using a deodorizer in the vacuums. This is new so thank you for bringing it to our attention.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

This hotel by far is the most dirty hotel I have ever stayed in! If I new it was that bad I would have slept in my car. I had to swith rooms 3 times before having to settle for the least of 3 dirty rooms. Common problem in all 3 rooms were that they smelled of a terrible musty odor. The shower in all of the rooms had black mold in them that had been there so long the housekeeper could not even remove it. The dust by the night stand was so thick you could not see the carpet. The ceiling in the bathroom had yellow stains from a leak I'm assuming. Do yourself a favor and don't ruin your weekend by staying in this outdated dirty hotel! Not one time during my stay did any member of management ever come to my room or contact me about the issuesi was having.

• Stayed July 2013
VermontTravelfamily, Manager at Capitol Plaza, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear medman74,

I'm sorry you were so disappointed in our hotel. Our housekeeping staff works very hard to provide clean hotel rooms for all of our guests. I have shared with them your concern regarding dust by the night stand. Rest assure, there is no mold in our tubs. The discoloration you are referring is from the slip resistant stickers on the bottom of the tub. We're looking into your comment regarding the musty smell. It has been very warm and the air conditioners are running constantly in the rooms.
I did not know you had wanted to speak to a manager. The front desk staff informed me of your discontent after you had checked out. She shared how she offered you other rooms and a discount, but that other than a $60 rate you were going to write a bad review on TripAdvisor.
We take all of our guests' concerns and reviews seriously and address all of them to correct any deficiencies we might have.

Been to Capitol Plaza? Share your experiences!