“Good food but long wait” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 13 Restaurants in Milton
Colchester, Vermont
“Good food but long wait”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I went to the milton diner for the first time. I read negative comments about the service but figured it must not be that bad. Well, after waiting 15 minutes to sit down, 10 minutes for someone to take our order, and another 40 minutes for the food to come, I was convinced! It was sunday morning, so it was a bit crowded, but when I looked around the room, about 60 percent of the people were not eating. We were all waiting to order, or for our food to come. How long can it take to cook a couple of pancakes, eggs, and some home fries?

On what positive, the food was good, reasonably priced, and the waitresses were nice. I most likely won't be going back. It really wasn't worth the wait

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Des Moines, Iowa
“Good food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We had two daily specials at this authentic neighborhood diner. My husband and I split on our review. I thought my fresh shrimp and sides were good and filling; he felt his fish was oily and a small portion for the price.

• Visited August 2012
New England - USA
“Three and a half stars out of 5”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

The Milton Diner is a small local restaurant on Route 7 near the American Legion. It offers casual food in a basic restaurant setting. It's not quite a four star, but it's better than a three. My husband and I eat there quite a bit, so we continue to be satisfied customers even with the occasional bumps in the road. The meals are hot and filling, and there is a surprising variety of choices for a small diner. Their soups are very good, and so are their desserts. They also have an outside, walk-up ice cream window which offers about 20 different flavors. The service is sometimes slow, but when we eat there we are never in a hurry, so we bring a book or a newspaper and wait. The fact that we continue to return speaks for itself. I rate the Milton Diner 3 1/2 stars out of 5.

• Visited June 2012
Milton
“Senior breakfast is an excellent value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

Had the senior breakfast. One egg, sausage or bacon and toast for under $3.00. I get the scrambled egg-its done very nicely and usually much more than a single egg worth of egg. The sausage and toast are fine. The coffee is extra and not the greatest but passable. The breakfast like all meals is usually a great deal. I have to admit that sometimes the breakfast rednecks are a bit loud(ok maybe way to loud) but the place has a character all its own. The food is better and a better value than the Apollo which is a new place just down the road.

• Visited August 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Revere, Massachusetts
“Worst customer service ever!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

I thought this would be promising especially after the gentleman who sat us down hyped up the burger as being fresh. First he tells the waitress to come over to assist us after he gets us drinks. Takes her 10 minutes to get there despite the restaurant being half full. She takes our orders and this is where the fun begins. I order the chili which I asked for first since I was hungry then order the house burger with lettuce and tomato only (no mushrooms, pickles,mayo or onions with mashed potatoes (light gravy) and peas, my colleagues then both order the haddock.

Ok here we go, 10 minutes later our food comes out of course without the chili arriving. I look at my plate and I have a burger with mayo on the side lettuce smothered with pickles on top, potatoes smothered with gravy and no tomatoes. I say to the waitress what happened to my chili (whoops) also I did not want pickles or mayo but did want tomatoes. She says that there is lettuce under the pickles if I remove the pickles I said you're kidding me right? I said why is there more gravy than potatoes? (she looks confused at this point but did offer to get me tomatoes and lettuce.

She comes back with them and I open up to see my overcooked burger patty (frozen no less) put on the lettuce and tomatoes and lift the burger to find bits of mushrooms under it which means they were on there at some point only to be removed but left some. I eat the dry burger and scoop away the gravy on the potatoes so I can try them, canned onion gravy with instant mashed potatoes, I grab the dish of canned peas to pour on the potatoes to help them out and about 3 ounces of water falls onto my potatoes (by then my colleagues are cracking up not me!) which means the knucklehead used a ladle not a spoon with holes to drain the water out.

I was talked out of saying anything else because I believe they knew it would get out of control. All I can say is I paid the price for this burger at about 2 in the morning and would recommend you eat at your local gas station before stepping in this place!!!

Visited September 2011